ROG Member Array

Question Maximus V Formula - USB driver/conflict assistance requested!

Alright Gentlepeople, I have spent 2 solid days trying to figure this out to no avail. I need your expertise in figuring out some things with my Maximus V Formula board.

Right out the door, here is a link to a WinAudit export of my devices and drivers used:
    http://vertigofold.zohosites.com/Spritech.html

I'm running Windows 8 (x64).

I am having trouble with my USB setup. Essentially, everything works except for my onboard USB 2.0 connectors (10-1 pin USB56; USB78). I work with SD cards of various sizes, so I have a front panel multicard reader installed. It uses a USB 2.0 onboard connector for the card reader, and has a USB 3.0 plug for the front panel's 2x USB 3.0 ports. I'm a visual person, so let me show you what I've got.

Clockwise the diagram is as followed:
    1). USB 3.0 is connected to my case's USB 3 port. It is working fine.
    2). USB 2.0 has nothing plugged into it currently.
    3). USB 2.0 has my front panel's MultiMedia reader (SD cards, etc). This is not working.
    3a). It doesn't matter which of these 2 USB slots I use, neither of them work. Yes, this card reader works in other computers.
    4). PCIe 2.0 x1_3 slot has a USB 3.0 card from ANKER (http://www.ianker.com/product/68UPPCIE-2S20PU)
    4a). The Anker USB 3.0 card has a flash drive plugged into it (for testing), and it works fine.
    5). Not pictured, my rear motherboard USB 3.0 Ports are working fine, and 1 has a flash drive plugged into it (for testing), and it works fine.

My front panel multicard reader uses a 4 pin plug.

Currently, my system states these are the USB controllers installed.
    • ASMedia (ASMedia USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller)
    • Intel (Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller)
    • VIA (VIA USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller)

I'm not sure which of the other devices listed in Device Manager is the USB 2.0 controller.
    http://vertigofold.zohosites.com/Spritech.html

Is this what's missing from the equation, proper USB 2 drivers? If so, why do my rear USB 2.0 ports work?

The above is the most important to me right now. But if you happen to know the answers to these others below, I would appreciate any input there too.

I would like to know what drivers I need to have installed for:

Audio. As under different sections of Device Manager it lists different things. So I know it may sound dumb, but I'm not sure which is which. Here's what I see: http://vertigofold.zohosites.com/Spritech.html

• [Audio inputs and outputs]
      * Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
    • [Sound, video and game controllers]
      * High Definition Audio Device
    • [System devices]
      * High Definition Audio Controller

Intel Chipset version. The Asus website lists Intel Chipset Driver as V9.3.0.1021 dated 2012/09/18. Are there better ones?

Intel Management Engine Interface. Do I even need this?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Hello mate

Nice post lots of detail.

First up, any USB3 port can be used with a USB3 device, they are backward compatible so you should not be having any problems using the USB3 port for your SD reader.

The two USB2 header on the edge of the board, or any USB 2 connector for that matter, if you connect a usb drive to them are they picked up?

If no do the following and then try again.

Clear CMOS or F5 in bios to set defaults.

Only thing set is RAID for sata mode if needed. Do not make any other changes.

Now are your USB2 ports usable at all?
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

HiVizMan, thanks for replying! The USB 3 ports for the SD card reader are working swimmingly. It's the other SD card slots on the panel that don't work. It can only plug into those USB 2 ports on the motherboard. The rear panel USB 2 ports are working fine. So it's only these 2 on the motherboard. :/

Here are some more pictures of what I've got.

Here is my front panel device. The 2 USB 3.0 ports on the right are working fine. The SD card slots are not, and it uses the usb 2 plug shown in the next photo.

The red arrows on the left indicate where I am trying to plug the SD Card reader to the board. The other red arrow shows that my USB 3 is plugging into the motherboard in the USB 3 port (off screen).

White arrows show my working and used USB ports on the back of the computer.
    Blue arrow shows a USB 3 port.
    All of them are working fine. Both 2.0 and 3.0

I will try clearing CMOS, but I recently flashed the BIOS to 1707, so it's pretty default. I don't use a RAID array. Just an SSD, and 2 magnetic drives for various files.

Thank you again for helping me out. I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I'm convinced it's a drive issue. I could be wrong..
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 3.jpg  

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by vertigofold View Post
    Audio. As under different sections of Device Manager it lists different things. So I know it may sound dumb, but I'm not sure which is which. Here's what I see: http://vertigofold.zohosites.com/Spritech.html

• [Audio inputs and outputs]
      * Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
    • [Sound, video and game controllers]
      * High Definition Audio Device
    • [System devices]
      * High Definition Audio Controller

Intel Chipset version. The Asus website lists Intel Chipset Driver as V9.3.0.1021 dated 2012/09/18. Are there better ones?

Intel Management Engine Interface. Do I even need this?
    Download the Realtek drivers. Those should sort out the audio devices that you're seeing.

As for the chipset drivers, you did install them, right? Because if you didn't, that can be a possible cause why your front panel isn't working. If you look on the Intel website, they usually have the latest ones.

If you look in your device manager, there should be an unknown device by the name PCI Communications Controller or something like that. The Intel Management Engine Interface installs the driver for that device.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    If you look in your device manager, there should be an unknown device by the name PCI Communications Controller or something like that. The Intel Management Engine Interface installs the driver for that device.
    I will try out the Realtek drivers as you suggested. Thanks!

I do have the Intel Management Engine Interface installed. Version 8.1.0.1263.

As for any updates, I have discovered that though simple devices such as my Mouse and Keyboard work.. some other USB devices are flakey.

I'm thinking I am going to try a Windows 7 install, and see how that works out. There isn't much in Win8 right now that I really need.
    I made an image of this Win8 install, so it's pretty cake to be able to pop back to one or the other. I'll report back what I find. In the meantime... what drivers should I be installing for the USB 2 and 3? Are the ones shown in my audit report proper?

Driver/Device Audit Report: http://vertigofold.zohosites.com/Spritech.html

I'm so spun around with all the million things I have tried to get it to work that I'm not sure which end is up at the moment. :P

Any help/insight is always appreciated. Thank you
    Last edited by vertigofold; 08-29-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Intel USB driver and the Asmedia USB driver are the ones you need to install to get full USB functionality.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Intel USB driver and the Asmedia USB driver are the ones you need to install to get full USB functionality.
    Yessir, I seem to have a working system. All drivers are currently working with all ports now, except for the one on the mainboard that my Memory Card Reader uses. I just wiped Windows 8, and went back to Win 7 Ultimate SP1. I also found some newer drivers for the system, so I'm trying those out also. I think at this point, my next step need to be testing the actual port on the board for use with other devices and see if those get read. If a new device gets plugged in and works, then we know something is wrong with the Multimedia card reader. If the card reader is tossed into another computer, and it works, then we have more questions.

So. I'm going to bed. It's 3am.
    When I get up, I'll start pulling parts and testing them to specific parts of the board. /out

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Correct you need to have all the motherboard controller drivers installed, that included the third party USB drives.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.