ROG Member Array

Wink Raid 0 of 6gbs hdds on Marvel 9182 6gbs or Intell 3gbs port.. which faster/better?

Hi again my friends,

Simple question:

RAID 0 of 2 (6gbs) WD Black hdds.. will perform faster/better in the marvell 6gbs 9182 controller or in the 3gbs intel available ports?

My motherboard is Maximus iv extreme.. and i have a Samsung 830 SSD 6gb on one of the two intel 6gbs port the mobo has (which is what i was recommended). That's why i cant plug the raid to those intel 6gbs ports..

Advises?

kind regards,
    Javier

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

You want your OS on the Intel 6GB port

No hard drive RAID will max out 3GB SATA ports in any case, use the Intel 3GB ports if they are free
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Cool... Thank you!

Seems that no one tells me to use those marvell 9182 ports for anything hehe

It seems that it's better to use the 3gbs intel ports than marvell 6gb ports even if they have 2 pci lanes (as i read around). I don't know why they put them in the mobo in first place.

kind regards,
    javier

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

I think that they have some kind of agreement with all motherboard makers and marvell or asmeidia to add the extra sata ports. I do not like them that is true.

But if you want more SATA ports you have to have third party controller.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.