Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array michaeldowns's Avatar

Windows/BIOS clock has stopped refreshing after 6 months working. I had not installed the Intel ME until this week believing it affected security, stability and performance. After installing Intel ME, clock stopped. I installed it to try an clear up some event log issues. Now with clock stopped I am open to suggestion, and without alternatives will do an image restore from last month.

ROG Enthusiast Array michaeldowns's Avatar

Updated.
    I performed the procedure described in the first message in this thread.
    Now the BIOS clock functions normally.

ROG Member Array

It will not last....ugh.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldowns View Post
    Windows/BIOS clock has stopped refreshing after 6 months working. I had not installed the Intel ME until this week believing it affected security, stability and performance. After installing Intel ME, clock stopped.
    That's interesting. Has anyone had the clock freeze who didn't have the ME drivers installed?

New ROGer Array

I've been fighting the same problem with the frozen clock.

I found this thread and tried the solution presented by Raja and it worked... for a while...

My place recently had the power go out and once it returned the frozen clock issue was back.

Was starting to get very frustrated so I googled the heck out it and found what I believe is the solution.

Run a command prompt as admin and issue this -> bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
    and this -> bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

Found the solution here ->

http://rog.asus.com/forum/archive/in.../t-33895.html?

I haven't seen the problem return since issuing this command

There's a couple posts about a third of the way down the page... one by Myk SilentShadow @ 9:05 am and one by Nodens @ 9:58 am.

I used the command listed by Nodens as it makes good sense and as mentioned I've had no problems since.

Apparently it "may" be a power saving feature from Windows 8 that doesn't affect AMD cpu's only Intel.

At any rate I thought I would post this info to save someone from pulling their hair out... lol

Will update this thread if issue resurfaces.

PS. Had a small hint that it might have been something to do with Windows 8 because the time on the login screen was always different from the clock on the desktop... always had me puzzled... they match perfectly now and I'm a happy camper...

Unless the problem returns... lol

PPS. Forgot to mention my system specs... Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero, Intel 4770K, Windows 8.1, Asus R9 280x graphics, Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD, 16 GB G-Skill Trident X 2400
    Last edited by snoozinglion; 03-01-2014 at 08:13 PM. Reason: additional info

New ROGer Array

Maximus vi formula works fine with 16gb memory, but does not boot with 32gb. In UEFI, about 30 seconds, it freezes. Windows 7 Ultimate, newly built.

ROG Member Array

A call to Raja@Asus

Welp, Allow myself to welcome myself to this awesome Frozen clock party that appears to have been rocking strong since August 2013! I do NOT own a ROG board, nor am I a gamer. I am a music producer and also have 14 yrs of experience custom building high end computers and doing break/fix computer repair and troubleshooting. That said, with the research I've done in the last few days, I see this issue is NOT limited to RoG boards, and in a few rare instances not even limited to Z87.

Z87 IS my issue, however. About a week ago, I purchased an Asus Z87 Plus from my local big box brick and mortar store here in ATL, Ga U.S.A, and I too have the frozen clock issue. As we speak, the clock on the system I just dropped a bunch of money on, will NOT keep time. I have not yet applied the known fix, having just read through this, and this (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...s-Clock-Issue/) thread, last night and today. Thus far, I have only flashed to 1707, and NOT done the CMOS clear from standby. Merely because I ALWAYS update the BIOS on every new system I build.

There are a few reasons I have yet to try applying the Fix outlined by Raja and Praz. First and foremost, from what I have read In these threads, this fix is TEMPORARY. I am sure I can speak for more than just myself when I say that I am looking for a FIX, not a band-aid, as having a faulty clock impedes my ability to properly run the Digital Audio workstation applications I need, which keep time, sync audio devices, time & date stamps of intellectual material, and so on.

The second reason, and one I have to admit I am a little put off by, is that after all this time is it really possible that not one person has gotten an actual frozen clock z87 mobo specimen sent to Asus for them to attempt duplicating the issue?

I mean, I think I can understand why. How is it that we have to spend our hard earned money, and what little time we have, not only having to troubleshoot this kind of issue on our own, but let alone lose time and money waiting on cross-shipping the products we purchased? Not to mention, from what I have read thus far, it seems to truly test this issue would takes WEEKS, given that the applied fix typically fails again at some point within days or weeks after applying said fix. Having said that, I DO take solace in the fact that Asus has NOT been able to duplicate this issue with their own motherboard specimens. The question is WHY? Is it that not ALL boards are affected? Because uninstalling my Z87 Plus and taking a trip to the store for a replacement while not ideal, isn't nearly as painful as an RMA and waiting for a replacement on something 7 days old, not to mention any other potential charges(shipping? etc). Or does the issue truly belong to Intels ME sw? I see NO clear path to a definitive fix here.

I am not sure what the protocols are for sending a currently defective specimen to Asus, in terms of cross-shipment, fees, and down time. But if they are reasonable, and I can help get to the bottom of this issue by volunteering my board, then I am willing to entertain doing so. Raja, do you want to PM me? Or even call me directly? My board is currently in the Frozen clock state. I built the system this weekend. My system specs are in my sig for you. I literally got no further than building the system, loading win7 pro 64, and flashing BIOS via EZ flash to 1707, installing updated drivers and Asus apps, and running Fan control and 4way from Ai suite. That is when I started to notice the clock bugging out. I've since uninstalled Ai suite, reflashed to 1707, and loaded optimized defaults changing ONLY AHCI to RAID, and attempting to reset the clock. That is where I am currently. Frozen.

Sorry for my first post being a novel, just lots to cover for full disclosure, lol.
    Lets figure this out though!!
    Trip
    i7 4770K / Corsair H105 / Asrock Z87 Extreme4 / 16GB (2x8GB) Gskill 1866MHz DDR3 / EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Corsair CX750M PSU / Win 7 x64 / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Seagate 2x2TB RAID0, WD Raptor 2x150GB RAID0, Seagate 1x1TB / Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 FW Audio Interface/ 23" Samsung LCD / Logitech K800 Keyboard / Kensington Expert Mouse

ROG Member Array

OH! Almost forgot.. Its worth mentioning that I also have the symptom of when you restart(from win7) when the board posts it shows the F2/Del splash screen, then rather than moving onto windows, it reboots again and loads the F2/Del Splash, and THEN loads windows.

It loads that F2/Del screen TWICE, as other users with this issue have reported.

ROG Member Array Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB
    Sound CardIntegrated
    MonitorSamsung P2350
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D-14
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760
    Keyboard DELL SK8110/Logitech Orion 610
    Mouse ASUS Gladius
    Headset Sennheiser HD380 Pro
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

I can understand not wanting to apply the fix with the assumption that it will be temporary, as it might not re-reveal it self until the product has left the warranty period and that would suck ass. Especially since you didn't get a board with an excessively long warranty period.

I do however personally feel it's worth the risk though and suggest that you DO do the proposed fix of resetting the BIOS via the jumper pins, but ultimately it is up to you to decide whether you want to do it or not.

Our parts were bought on the 13th december last year and I don't think they were installed until either Christmas or soon after Christmas. We spent about 2 to 3 days setting stuff up, this process included re-installing Windows, Drivers and updating the BIOS. Eventually we noticed the clock issue 1 to 2 days later and started trying to resolve the issue ourselves via checking the BIOS meticulously and going through Windows settings as well as driver updates in a bid to resolve it, this process took around about 3 days before we gave up resolving it ourselves, we then resorted to Google and discovered this thread.

After reading some of the thread we noticed that the proposed solution was being hailed as only a temporary fix, we spent a night sleeping on the information before studying the forum thread in greater detail. We came to the conclusion that those who had the problem temporarily resolved were doing something that re-triggered the problem and that the problem couldn't naturally re-occur (I forget how we came to the conclusion, perhaps there were some vague indications of them re-upgrading the BIOS after resolving it because they didn't wait long enough to truly tell if the clock was fixed).

It's been roughly 1.5 months since we applied the fix and the computer clock is still keeping time.
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 03-04-2014 at 08:40 AM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard|16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM|Integrated Audio|MSI Geforce 1070Ti|Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply|Fractal Define Design R5 Computer Case|Samsung P2350 Monitor

ROG Member Array

Thanks for taking the time to reply Nick. I was beginning to wonder if this thread was dying, lol. Hope we can revive it a little as unsolved problems are a thorn in my side. I'm an Aquarius. lol.

But yes, I agree with you and actually the only reason I have yet to apply the fix is because it appears no one has gone through the process of actually submitting a frozen clocked board, and it has to be a USA user, and I am winning there on both counts.

Worth noting also I agree with what you are saying regarding some users may not have performed the fix correctly, and perhaps had failed to update ME, but then we are not definitely sure that ME is positively the culprit, are we? If so, why are we not hearing about this issue from users with MSI or Gigabyte boards w/ the same chipset and the like?

And why does it seem only select users have the issue, and it is not wide spread? That seems to me like some fault within the BIOS that is exploited by ME perhaps? Bad BIOS in only select boards at random? I dunno. I wish someone new definitively what the cause is. Its hard to take a chance on a "fingers crossed fix", or should I just return it and find something else while I can? and will THAT z87 have the issue as well? Hell maybe the reason we aren't hearing about other brand boards is because they aint using Ai Suite III! ha!!

Also, can we assume that EVERYONE that had the issue repeat itself, simply failed to execute the "fix" correctly, and so they have continued issues, or successfully applied the fix, but then did something to re-trigger it. And now its not really a FIX if normal usage of supplied SW from asus can re-trigger the issue. Even if we don't know what sequence or tasks are executed to result in a frozen clock once again. As a matter of fact, I recall reading a few posts where users had specifically listed the steps they took, which were at a minimum written correctly, in which case we have to assume they understand the steps enough to properly execute them, and while they DO report the fix working, they ALSO report the problem re-occurring despite insisting that they left everything stock after applying the fix. Then fight the urge to tweak for weeks just to see if the clock freezes again. LOL. Nightmare Mode[ON}

Now as you mentioned, maybe even with the fix in place, providing it does in fact work.... what is re-triggering the problem? Because I know the ONLY thing I did on my system was load windows, flash bios, load updated asus drivers and apps, and run 4way optimization a couple times, and I began seeing the clock discrepancy immediately!

Having said that, it seems we should be able to DUPLICATE the issue. It isn't difficult at all albeit maybe a little time consuming to reset cmos, reinstall ME, and try a sequence of running Ai suite 3 to either perform fan tuning, 4way opt, or saving of OC profiles. Cause again, i LITERALLY got NO further than that! But its like, those that have HAD the issue don't wanna take a chance at it coming back.. so then what? Dont tweak anything? Kinda defeats the purpose of buying what we buy, no?

Lastly, while I have still not tried the actual fix, I did purchase a new CMOS Battery today. I doubt it will change a thing, but a cheap enough test in any case since in my old school experience, when the RTC is bugging, check the battery, lol. But overall, I have mainly been waiting to hear from Raja about sending my Frozen clock board in.
    So I suppose I will check back tomorrow, and will hold off on the battery, or applying the fix.
    Thanks again for the reply.
    Last edited by Triplexbeatz; 03-04-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    i7 4770K / Corsair H105 / Asrock Z87 Extreme4 / 16GB (2x8GB) Gskill 1866MHz DDR3 / EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Corsair CX750M PSU / Win 7 x64 / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Seagate 2x2TB RAID0, WD Raptor 2x150GB RAID0, Seagate 1x1TB / Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 FW Audio Interface/ 23" Samsung LCD / Logitech K800 Keyboard / Kensington Expert Mouse

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast