Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I had the exact same problem with frozen uefi time, and constantly wrong time in Windows 8, but this fix worked for me, at least for now...

ASUS MAXIMUS VI GENE

ROG Member Array Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB
    Sound CardIntegrated
    MonitorSamsung P2350
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D-14
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760
    Keyboard DELL SK8110/Logitech Orion 610
    Mouse ASUS Gladius
    Headset Sennheiser HD380 Pro
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

I just read the original post and am concerned over it stating that the Motherboard should continue to receive power while resetting the BIOS via the jumper pins. The motherboard should be completely powered off before clearing the jumper pins.

From what I can tell, you only have to remove the jumper pin cap as all you're doing is breaking the connection between the BIOS RAM (That stores user defined settings) and the CMOS battery (Ensuring said memory is erased). By keeping the motherboard powered you're essentially defeating this process by keeping that function powered.

I will say this though, you should have the PSU fitted to the computer case and connected to the mains power with mains power switched on, but the PSU switched OFF, this is so that the computer case is grounded while you mess about with the motherboard/PCB.
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 03-14-2014 at 02:12 AM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard|16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM|Integrated Audio|MSI Geforce 1070Ti|Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply|Fractal Define Design R5 Computer Case|Samsung P2350 Monitor

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Steel View Post
    I just read the original post and am concerned over it stating that the Motherboard should continue to receive power while resetting the BIOS via the jumper pins. The motherboard should be completely powered off before clearing the jumper pins.

From what I can tell, you only have to remove the jumper pin cap as all you're doing is breaking the connection between the BIOS RAM (That stores user defined settings) and the CMOS battery (Ensuring said memory is erased). By keeping the motherboard powered you're essentially defeating this process by keeping that function powered.

I will say this though, you should have the PSU fitted to the computer case and connected to the mains power with mains power switched on, but the PSU switched OFF, this is so that the computer case is grounded while you mess about with the motherboard/PCB.

You are thinking of clearing CMOS and not of clearing the ME firmware block which is what the instructions are for. The ME is responsible for storing some of the vital info and that is why we suggested users clear CMOS this way.

Clearing the ME portion of firmware requires standby power to be present when the CMOS is cleared.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The title of this thread needs to be changed as it's misleading.

ROG Member Array Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    Nicholas Steel PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3700X
    Memory (part number)16GB DDR4 3600Mhz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Geforce 1070Ti 8GB
    Sound CardIntegrated
    MonitorSamsung P2350
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH D-14
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760
    Keyboard DELL SK8110/Logitech Orion 610
    Mouse ASUS Gladius
    Headset Sennheiser HD380 Pro
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    You are thinking of clearing CMOS and not of clearing the ME firmware block which is what the instructions are for. The ME is responsible for storing some of the vital info and that is why we suggested users clear CMOS this way.

Clearing the ME portion of firmware requires standby power to be present when the CMOS is cleared.
    Ah, okay then. Thank you for clarifying and correcting me. I'm not at all familiar with EUFI capable motherboards and their eccentricities yet (All the common problems & associated solutions). I'm pretty familiar with troubleshooting older motherboards though ^_^"

I believe I completely cleared the CMOS by completely unpowering the motherboard, because we had to reconfigure everything and not just the clock. The process seems to have worked too. I assume both methods will work but the steps mentioned in the first post is a simpler process that avoids having to reconfigure everything except the clock?
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 03-15-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64|AMD Ryzen 3700X|ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII WiFi Motherboard|16GB DDR4 3600Mhz RAM|Integrated Audio|MSI Geforce 1070Ti|Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply|Fractal Define Design R5 Computer Case|Samsung P2350 Monitor

ROG Enthusiast Array SpoonerUK PC Specs
    SpoonerUK PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP Envy 17
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 5960x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800 (8x4GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Graphics Card #3ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Sound CardAsus ROG Phoebus
    Monitor3x Asus VE278Q
    Storage #14x Samsung Evo 840 256GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB CSQ
    CaseMountain Mods Ascension
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Mouse Logitech G500s
    Headset Creative Something-or-other
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear AC1900

Asus,

Are you any closer to fixing this? My motherboard was running fine for approx 3 months before my clock froze again yesterday. I have updated my BIOS to 1402 now, lets see how long the clock works for.

Cheers
    Spoon
    Rampage V Extreme || i7 5960x (127.5x28) || EKWB Cooling for CPU & GPUs || 8x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800 || 3x 3gb Asus GTX780 || 4x Samsung 840 250GB || Pioneer BDRW || ROG Xonar Phoebus || Corsair AX1500i PSU || Aquaero 5 XT || Lamptron 6 Channel Fan Controller || Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Logitech G500s || Mountainmods.com - Ascension MASSIVE Chassis || 21x Coolermaster 120mm Fans

ROG Enthusiast Array GregH PC Specs
    GregH PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Hero Maximus VI
    ProcessorIntel i7 4770K
    Memory (part number)2 x 8 (16GB) Corsair Vengeance 2400
    Graphics Card #1EVGA Geforce GTX780Ti Superclocked
    MonitorAsus 27" 2560 x 1440
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 850 500GB
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 850 250 GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseXigmatek Tower
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1050
    Keyboard Logitech G110
    Mouse R.A.T. 5
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64

I installed 1402 and the clock has since frozen. So that is not going to help.....

Agree with another post here, title of this thread should be changed as it is misleading in implying that the process is a 'fix'. It only temporarily solves the issue and if I may add, does not do anything more than a simple BIOS reset does when you short the pins with the System fully powered down.

As Raja says, with the system in standby the ME 'engine' may also be reset but at the same time, so is is the BIOS. The ME is not the problem and resetting it is rather pointless and a little risky if you ask me. Doing a simple reset with the power off will give you the same SHORT LIVED kick start to the clock.

Another note relating to Nicholas' post a few back, updating the BIOS is definitely not the trigger. I updated the BIOS and then have on multiple occasions since carried been required to carry out this 'fix' without again updating.

QUESTION: Are any of you guys running your PC through a UPS? Just wondering if that might have something to do with it?
    Last edited by GregH; 03-16-2014 at 11:34 AM.

ROG Member Array

same here, flashed 1402 and Clock freezes

ROG Enthusiast Array GregH PC Specs
    GregH PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Hero Maximus VI
    ProcessorIntel i7 4770K
    Memory (part number)2 x 8 (16GB) Corsair Vengeance 2400
    Graphics Card #1EVGA Geforce GTX780Ti Superclocked
    MonitorAsus 27" 2560 x 1440
    Storage #1Samsung EVO 850 500GB
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 850 250 GB
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i
    CaseXigmatek Tower
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1050
    Keyboard Logitech G110
    Mouse R.A.T. 5
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Professional x64

Perhaps slightly off topic but still very relevant as it is directly related to having to re-enter all BIOS settings every time the BIOS clock freezes - how practical is it to save the BIOS settings to a USB and reload them from that, rather than going through the whole tedious process of setting up the BIOS as I want it, with overclock settings, voltage settings etc.

Will saving the BIOS to a USB [from the Tools menu in the UEFI BIOS] also transfer all these settings to a freshly reset BIOS?

ROG Enthusiast Array SpoonerUK PC Specs
    SpoonerUK PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)HP Envy 17
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 5960x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 2800 (8x4GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Graphics Card #2ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Graphics Card #3ASUS GTX 980 STRIX OC 4GB
    Sound CardAsus ROG Phoebus
    Monitor3x Asus VE278Q
    Storage #14x Samsung Evo 840 256GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB CSQ
    CaseMountain Mods Ascension
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Mouse Logitech G500s
    Headset Creative Something-or-other
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Network RouterNetgear AC1900

Froze again for me this morning. BIOS updates make no difference.
    Rampage V Extreme || i7 5960x (127.5x28) || EKWB Cooling for CPU & GPUs || 8x4GB Corsair Dominator DDR4 2800 || 3x 3gb Asus GTX780 || 4x Samsung 840 250GB || Pioneer BDRW || ROG Xonar Phoebus || Corsair AX1500i PSU || Aquaero 5 XT || Lamptron 6 Channel Fan Controller || Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Logitech G500s || Mountainmods.com - Ascension MASSIVE Chassis || 21x Coolermaster 120mm Fans

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast