Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Does the sound driver give me any benefit?

    I'm using a Vi Hero. Uninstalling the Realtek drivers completely from my system still allows me to still have sound and also fixes some of my issues like the bf3 scoreboard issue and also the maximum volume despite volume at 2 bug. Am I missing out on any sound quality by not installing the drivers if I normally don't change anything with the drivers?
    Last edited by Spudinske; 09-12-2013 at 03:04 AM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    339
    Posts
    15,254

    Hard to say since each user has his/her own perception of quality. You should ask yourself this. Have you noticed any difference not having them installed? Are you happy with the quality of the audio without them?

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Hard to say since each user has his/her own perception of quality. You should ask yourself this. Have you noticed any difference not having them installed? Are you happy with the quality of the audio without them?
    Well no, I haven't noticed a difference. But If I plan on getting decent headphones I kind of want to be sure that I'm not losing out. I'm quite ocd. Does the drivers do some optimizations on the fly or some mumbo jumbo to the regular sound quality? I don't need sound gate or noise cancellation or room emulation that the driver has.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    354
    Posts
    25,742

    Mate I am quite happy with the default OS install drivers. I try not to have bloat ware on my system and since I only game with headphones as a rule I have been happy without the dedicated drivers.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Mate I am quite happy with the default OS install drivers. I try not to have bloat ware on my system and since I only game with headphones as a rule I have been happy without the dedicated drivers.
    I'm currently happy with them too as I don't run into the different bugs with the drivers. However, I am wondering about this performance question because if The drivers actually do some optimizations then I'll just get a stand alone sound card. I'm just so ocd...

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    354
    Posts
    25,742

    hehehe I know a few gamers just like you mate.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    So anyone know?

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    354
    Posts
    25,742

    The short answer is the generic drivers do all that you need, however if you do want the software overlay, and the software enhancements then yes you either need the drivers or a dedicated sound card. There is a difference. Asked my gaming mates on steam last night.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    22

    Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    The short answer is the generic drivers do all that you need, however if you do want the software overlay, and the software enhancements then yes you either need the drivers or a dedicated sound card. There is a difference. Asked my gaming mates on steam last night.
    I don't touch any of the soundstage options or the noise gate, etc. in the Realtek drivers. Did they say there's a difference because they use the features in the drivers? Or because there is in fact a flat out difference without touching settings?
    Last edited by Spudinske; 09-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    354
    Posts
    25,742

    There is a difference if you use the settings.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •