ROG Member Array

Does the sound driver give me any benefit?

I'm using a Vi Hero. Uninstalling the Realtek drivers completely from my system still allows me to still have sound and also fixes some of my issues like the bf3 scoreboard issue and also the maximum volume despite volume at 2 bug. Am I missing out on any sound quality by not installing the drivers if I normally don't change anything with the drivers?
    Last edited by Spudinske; 09-12-2013 at 03:04 AM.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Hard to say since each user has his/her own perception of quality. You should ask yourself this. Have you noticed any difference not having them installed? Are you happy with the quality of the audio without them?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Hard to say since each user has his/her own perception of quality. You should ask yourself this. Have you noticed any difference not having them installed? Are you happy with the quality of the audio without them?
    Well no, I haven't noticed a difference. But If I plan on getting decent headphones I kind of want to be sure that I'm not losing out. I'm quite ocd. Does the drivers do some optimizations on the fly or some mumbo jumbo to the regular sound quality? I don't need sound gate or noise cancellation or room emulation that the driver has.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

Mate I am quite happy with the default OS install drivers. I try not to have bloat ware on my system and since I only game with headphones as a rule I have been happy without the dedicated drivers.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    Mate I am quite happy with the default OS install drivers. I try not to have bloat ware on my system and since I only game with headphones as a rule I have been happy without the dedicated drivers.
    I'm currently happy with them too as I don't run into the different bugs with the drivers. However, I am wondering about this performance question because if The drivers actually do some optimizations then I'll just get a stand alone sound card. I'm just so ocd...

hehehe I know a few gamers just like you mate.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

ROG Member Array

So anyone know?

The short answer is the generic drivers do all that you need, however if you do want the software overlay, and the software enhancements then yes you either need the drivers or a dedicated sound card. There is a difference. Asked my gaming mates on steam last night.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    The short answer is the generic drivers do all that you need, however if you do want the software overlay, and the software enhancements then yes you either need the drivers or a dedicated sound card. There is a difference. Asked my gaming mates on steam last night.
    I don't touch any of the soundstage options or the noise gate, etc. in the Realtek drivers. Did they say there's a difference because they use the features in the drivers? Or because there is in fact a flat out difference without touching settings?
    Last edited by Spudinske; 09-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.

There is a difference if you use the settings.