cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fx 8350 + c5fz oc

Ikkerens
Level 7
Hi there! 😄

First of all, I'd like to introduce myself, I recently joined these forums since I assembled myself a new PC based on this fantastic motherboard. I am Rens Rikkerink, known on the web as Ikkerens. Developer of Minebuilder (Android/iOS) and some other less known projects.

Anyway, onto the matter at hand.

My setup:
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition
CPU-cooler: Zalman CNPS12x
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX (4 slots), totalling 16gb @ 1866 Mhz
PSU: OCZ ZX-series 1250W

I've been trying some overclocking myself, and I got to these results: CPU-Z
Running Prime95, I get a stable 68 degrees Celcius.
Idle, 40-42 degrees Celcius.
Both these temperatures are achieved at a 26.2 degrees celcius ambient temperature.

My question was, am I safe with this temperature? Can I go any higher on the multiplier? Or should I back it down?
Do you have any other suggestions on how to cool my cpu down any further?

Thanks in advance,

Yours sincerely,
Rens "Ikkerens" Rikkerink

P.S. I just noticed that this post would fit better in the Crosshair board, if anyone capable would be so kind to move it? Apparently I cannot delete/move it myself.
4 REPLIES 4

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Rens.

I see that you're at 1.428v in your CPU-Z link. The commonly accepted safe voltage for the FX-8350 is 1.5v. You could probably get another 100MHz in if you upgrade your cooling. It is good practice to keep the cores below 70C.

Hello Chino,

And thank you for your response.
The vcore of 1.428v was decided after some tests regarding stability, if I went any lower, prime95 would give invalid results.
The 1.5v cap is good to know, for future overclocking.

About upgrading my cooling, as this is a newly made setup, I do not intend to replace my cooling this early.
However, after speaking to a comrade of mine who is more advanced in these kind of things, I learned that I did not apply my cooling paste properly (something to do with air getting stuck inbetween, I cannot recall the correct english term). I will fix that the next time I open up my case.

Thanks again for your response,

Yours sincerely,
Rens "Ikkerens" Rikkerink

Chino
Level 15
It's easily fixable.

1. Open your case.
2. Run Prime95 for 30 minutes or so to get the thermal compound hot.
3. Shutdown your system.
4. Immediately unscrew your CNPS12x and it should come off easily.
5. Clean your CNPS12x and your FX-8350's IHS with isoprophyl alcohol or with one of those fancy thermal compound cleaners.
6. Grab your favorite thermal compound and put a small dot/rice/grain/etc... in the middle of the Fx-8350.
7. Install your CNPS12x and tighten the screws in a criss cross pattern.
8. You're done.

bassnut
Level 7
Ikkerens wrote:
Hi there! 😄

My setup:
Mobo: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition
CPU-cooler: Zalman CNPS12x
RAM: Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3K2/8GX (4 slots), totalling 16gb @ 1866 Mhz
PSU: OCZ ZX-series 1250W

I've been trying some overclocking myself, and I got to these results: CPU-Z
Running Prime95, I get a stable 68 degrees Celcius.
Idle, 40-42 degrees Celcius.
Both these temperatures are achieved at a 26.2 degrees celcius ambient temperature.

Your stated temp of 68*C for the CPU , is that your core temp or your socket temp. Both of these temps can influence your OC with the FX 8350. If this is your socket temp there are some things you can do to help cool these temps down some and will help allot if you are trying for amore extreme OC. If you haven't already download and run the latest version of HWMoniter from cupid and post back your temps given here. Th Temp labeled CPU s your socket temp and your core temp is labeled package Temp. Your safe temps are about 70*C Max for your socket temp and 65*C for your Core Temp. As far as safe volages for your CPU ..... for a daily driver you can easily run it up to 1.55v+ if you have enough cooling for that, with your cooler you have I doubt you will be able to get that high.