cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DELID I7 4770k?

peteycrack
Level 7
has anyone done this ? any comments sugguestion or thoughts about i have watched videos and i am seriouly thinking of doing it :o:o
22 REPLIES 22

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah I have done it and there is a gain - but I was tricky I made sure I used my really rubbish chip. The gains are there but the risk is too. Remember once you delid RMA is not an option.

Post up some pictures if you do go for it.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

meankeys
Level 13
I have done it several times. Just take your time. I used the razor blade method but I used a light hammer and tapped ever so lightly on the blade at the corners first (all 4) then the sides. The tapping of the blade allows you to cut through the epoxy like butter. Just remember to keep the chip and blade flat on the table. You barely need to hit the blade for it to cut. Clean the CPU and heat sink very good. remove all old tim and epoxy. I used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra on the cpu die (very thin coat) that's after I lapped the IHS top and bottom (NOT THE DIE OF THE CPU) After that some people like to silicon the IHS back on the CPU. I just install the CPU back in the socket and then place the IHS back on the CPU and lock it in position with the CPU socket lock.

Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra

http://www.amazon.com/Coollaboratory-Liquid-Thermal-Interface-Material/dp/B0039RY3MM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc...

Cleaner

http://www.amazon.com/ArctiClean-60ml-Kit-30ml/dp/B0007TOR08/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

peteycrack
Level 7
thank you all i have been watching videos about might do this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don`t know if you have already but the hammer and vice method is much safer.You take to great a risk of gouging the PCR using a razor i have done it both ways and the hammer & vice was really much safer I destroyed a new 3770k with razor but now running another 3770k delidded direct die with coollabatorys ultra @5.2 Gh and running in the low 80s C

nikosa43
Level 12
Guys, take extra care while deliding 4770k. I 've delided my 3770k, but from some images I've seen, looks like the 4770k, have some extra components on the PCB nearby the side of the chip. So, you have less clearance from one side. That makes it a bit more risky than 3770k. So, take care. My personal opinion is that worth the risk, if someone definitely goes for good clocks and he is Ok with the idea of loosing any warranty and may throw the chip in the bin.

IM2L844
Level 12
I lapped the IHS top and bottom

Hey, meankeys, how does one go about lapping the underside of the IHS? Also, did you use the ultra between the IHS and your heatsink or something else?

IM2L844 wrote:
Hey, meankeys, how does one go about lapping the underside of the IHS? Also, did you use the ultra between the IHS and your heatsink or something else?[/QUOT

I made a special tool to get to the under side of the IHS. It just really smooths it out and cleans it. You cant really lap it like the top side.

meankeys wrote:
IM2L844 wrote:
Hey, meankeys, how does one go about lapping the underside of the IHS? Also, did you use the ultra between the IHS and your heatsink or something else?[/QUOTI made a special tool to get to the under side of the IHS. It just really smooths it out and cleans it. You cant really lap it like the top side.
Hey, Meankeys, I am very interested how you managed that for the surface underneath. If you would like to share with us, it would be useful, because I was thinking to reapply fresh coolabs after 8 months period, so it's a good opportunity for me to try.

jasonelmore
Level 7
a dremil with a soft wirebrush tip should do the trick. if not, you could always attatch the sander tip, but be careful.