cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that need to be in the next laptop (or would be nice!)

misher
Level 7
Hi! I owned an ASUS G50V back in the day and it was so awesome I got a G74S, now I'm looking to buy the next laptop ASUS ROG releases and theres some things I desperately need/want.

Less weight-I get a good workout carrying the G74+powerbar+battery around, and yesterday I had to carry this x2 with my G50 so my gf could play LoL with me, wokeup this morning and back HURTS) There are some things in this laptop you really don't need, you can eliminate a good speaker system for one thing, people use headphones or peripherals if they want good music anyway, the glass for the camera could be smaller, and you honestly don't need a mic up there, and honestly there are many lightweight materials that are similar in strength on the market that you should be using. It's a laptop that you've carried over too much desktop stuff from, look at all the stuff your carrying over and find ways to save weight instead of just copy pasting it inside.

A new case-The stealth design was pretty cool, but I miss the G50 case with the flames, lights, etc, it was awesome having your laptop lightup at start and the stealth design is getting old. I would suggest even going as far as to have leather, ultrasuede, wood, etc on the next case, look at a few sport/luxury cars for inspiration 😄 Should offer some custom case designs as well. Perhaps move to aluminum or carbon fiber in some parts? Liquid metal? 😄

Battery Monitor-the G50 battery/processor monitor was amazingly useful and I really miss it in the G74

Keyboard-My typing speed has dropped about 20% since getting the G74, the G50 keyboard was amazingly great, the keys were soft and easy to press, and located very well.

Touchpad-Face it, your touchpads suck

Less holes-You should seriously open up a bag of chips over your computer and see there things get stuck, the bumps and stuff look nice but are a bitch to clean.

Better removability-Make it easier to take parts off for cleaning, I saw you added removable filters, easier to remove keyboard and touchpad would be good too.

Custom startup/more customization-I really wanted to add the gundam OS startup music to my computer but couldn't figure out how! Sorry the explosion asus sound is nice and all but gundam OS all the way! Sounds/photos for asus should be easily customizable

Better charging-Add some vents/etc to the charger it gets too hot and it literally has the cooling potential of a brick

Heat monitor-I always worry that my computer will overheat or break, can you add a built in monitor either on the screen (bottom right) that would ping when in yellow zone, or a monitor that would go with the battery monitor from the G50 I suggested reintroducing.

Easier mode switching-Seriously the high performance/battery mode/etc needs some work, its too complicated and you should include a manual that discusses the presets for each mode and suggested settings for each.
6 REPLIES 6

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Would you like any fries with that? 😛

I think the reason for some of the software you mentioned missing - such as the battery monitor and the heat monitor - is due to so many people defaulting to third party applications for that system information. BatteryCare and HWiNFO are popular programs many users prefer in lieu of proprietary software.

As for the design and aesthetics, I can't say much. There is bound to be a refresh eventually though, and perhaps then you'll see some nice additions and changes!

What did/do you find cumbersome or complicated about the performance settings?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Flea0
Level 10
that is an awfully confusing and confused, imho, list. You're asking for a new laptop while constantly referring to the G74 as a benchmark... which is two generations older? There IS a next laptop and it's called... the G750, and it pretty much improves on all the points you mentioned: weight, thickness, materials, build quality, touchpad, battery life...the only detail where it seems to be worse than its predecessors is that there is no direct access to the cooling fans.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

UnfairAwesomene
Level 7
mechanical keyboard
water cooling please (little far out there, but is possible technically?)
optimus (defaults set to manual but autoset it to off for every program, have us enable for each program individually, except for obvious stuff like microsoft office, most windows 8 stuff, and whatever is obvious)
at least a 7200rpm hdd (prefer ssd, but as far as economics go...., forget it! 256gb ssd minimum on every model!)
Add mini pci-e to allow for ssds
SLI for you need-every-bit-of-fps-ers and for 3d version
option for extended battery
put ALL ram slots on user-servicable area of the laptop
switchable default MXM graphics card slots
NO fingerprint-loving case PLEASE, it is almost possible to power the laptop with the oil from the fingerprints lol
Not ever wanting to have to resolder the gpu (not that i do but get it right the first time)
3d webcam
glasses-less 3d screen
rgb backlit keyboard

Would you like any fries with that?

I think the reason for some of the software you mentioned missing - such as the battery monitor and the heat monitor - is due to so many people defaulting to third party applications for that system information. BatteryCare and HWiNFO are popular programs many users prefer in lieu of proprietary software.

As for the design and aesthetics, I can't say much. There is bound to be a refresh eventually though, and perhaps then you'll see some nice additions and changes!

What did/do you find cumbersome or complicated about the performance settings?

Sorry I assumed the G75 was only an improved version of the G74 with no major upgrades, cases look similar haha. They finally separated the fan outlets at least!

I didn't like how they have ranges for cpu speed, don't give estimated numbers for battery life improvement, don't have recommended settings with explanations, etc.

I have found that previous models have great features not found in new models and I really hate that, each model should be an improvement, not a comparison. I also feel like not enough testing is done in each model (speaking for the g74 the touchpad and calculator button were obvious, and the g75 has the non cleanable fans lol)

And ASUS used to have a seperate screen for battery and processor monitoring which was awesome.

so you basically want an SLI capable, water-cooled Clevo/Sager lookalike with a parallax 3D screen and twin webcams. You are aware that would a) weigh as much as the moon b) cost more than 5000$? Besides, laptops are already fluid cooled, ever wondered what's inside the heat pipes? 😉 there are fans because you eventually have to cool down the working fluid itself, the heat doesn't magically vanish once the fluid absorbs it

UnfairAwesomeness wrote:
mechanical keyboard
water cooling please (little far out there, but is possible technically?)
optimus (defaults set to manual but autoset it to off for every program, have us enable for each program individually, except for obvious stuff like microsoft office, most windows 8 stuff, and whatever is obvious)
at least a 7200rpm hdd (prefer ssd, but as far as economics go...., forget it! 256gb ssd minimum on every model!)
Add mini pci-e to allow for ssds
SLI for you need-every-bit-of-fps-ers and for 3d version
option for extended battery
put ALL ram slots on user-servicable area of the laptop
switchable default MXM graphics card slots
NO fingerprint-loving case PLEASE, it is almost possible to power the laptop with the oil from the fingerprints lol
Not ever wanting to have to resolder the gpu (not that i do but get it right the first time)
3d webcam
glasses-less 3d screen
rgb backlit keyboard
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
so you basically want an SLI capable, water-cooled Clevo/Sager lookalike with a parallax 3D screen and twin webcams. You are aware that would a) weigh as much as the moon b) cost more than 5000$? Besides, laptops are already fluid cooled, ever wondered what's inside the heat pipes? 😉 there are fans because you eventually have to cool down the working fluid itself, the heat doesn't magically vanish once the fluid absorbs it

Yes I know it isn't magic, webcams aren't expensive (not that current models have expensive webcams to begin with)

As options yes, I don't expect to spend that much on a laptop, but there are those that will

Not a Clevo/Sager lookalike, but features yes