cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

z87-pro sm bus software causing stuttering of audio and peripheral devices

twickmanmd
Level 7
Recently purchased Z87-Pro with i4770k, 32 gig crucial ram, ausus dsx audio card, gtx 770 nvidia graphics. Not overclocked, normal and automatic settings in uefi. Multiple different installs of windows 8 64-bit. Different versions of the chipset software tried from both asus and intel. I can install all of the drivers and the system will work great. As soon as I get to installing the chipset or sm bus driver, things go bad. Many different things can cause audio stuttering and mouse and keyboard stuttering. The most assured way for me to get the problem is to start transferring files from one folder to another or from external hd. while the operation is going on, random stuttering of things. Any ideas? The way I see it now, the built in windows drivers for the smbus seem to be working better than anything i can find from the manufacturers. Is the os skipping over the smbus? I say this because the smbus driver in device manager appears to not be installed and has a exclamation point. All the temperatures and transfer speeds and other are fine and all of the functions of the system work great without the chipset driver installed. What is going on?
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
When you say not OC'd are you using the XMP profile for your memory?

With Windows8 the generic drivers just work as that is how the are designed to interact with the newer hardware. There is no need to install any other drivers, with the exception of the sound drivers if you wan the software overlay.

The audio issue I can not comment on as others are working on that (know nothing about audio circuitry).

If you explore your device manager (before you install other drivers) do you have yellow triangles on any devices?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

i do have yellow triangles, even for the smbus, doesn't make sense because I assume it has to be using a generic windows driver for the usb's and such on the motherboard to be functioning. Usually the yellow triangles mean that no driver is installed, not even a generic, if it is a generic driver, windows usually states so. As for OCing, i know how to use basically everything in the advanced bios, but do not want to stress any of the hardware out, so i basically have everything set as auto and on the easy page i have it set to normal. The memory timings, power and other seem to be running at the manufacturers specified numbers. I am not using the XMP profile for my memory either. This boggles my mind. I am not stupid with computers, but this is making me feel that way. I don't know whether it is a hardware problem or not. Asus is sending me another board, and I will see what happens with that one. The thing is I don't think it is a defective board, just something either inherently bad in the new design in how asus uses the processing lanes, but i don't really know. On my first install, i installed all of the drivers, then experienced the problems. I then installed the AISuite, and that made the problem more frequent and more distorted. So i reinstalled and then tried only using intel drivers from intel for the intel parts of the board. Once i installed the smbus or chipset driver, it started sucking again. I reinstalled windows again and only did not use the controller driver and everything worked perfectly, and then after a week I got antsy and installed the asus chipset driver and problem returned. So now on my current install I have everything installed but the chipset driver. what the heck?
By the way, thanks for your response.

twickmanmd
Level 7
also, i just figured out how to subscribe to this thread so i will be able to respond much quicker than last time.

does that mean, assuming I have done everything correctly, it is a hardware issue. Asus is sending me a different board

ok, i mean all i did was hook the thing up and install windows 8, update windows 8, set all uefi settings at normal or default or auto, then install the drivers.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have pulled out a Z87-pro and I do not get that. I used two different CPUs and did two clean installs using SDD.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Lets see if I can duplicate your issue. If yes then we can resolve or find a fix.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL yeah I will do the exact same thing mate and post up some screens for you once I get some sleep.