cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Shut down when on 20%-28% battery.

getmealive
Level 7
my G74SX Shuts down when it reaches 20%, or 28% on battery. is this normal? or is my battery dead? please help me!!
12 REPLIES 12

Boosted_R
Level 8
getmealive wrote:
my G74SX Shuts down when it reaches 20%, or 28% on battery. is this normal? or is my battery dead? please help me!!

check your battery settings in the power options
GL702VSK / GTX 1070 / M.2 960 EVO

HTPC MINI-ITX / FRACTAL CORE 500 / GIGABYTE GA-AB350N / GTX 1050 Ti Windforce OC 4G / RYZEN 5 1600 3.9GHz / M.2 960 EVO / G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 3200MHz
OLD
ASUS G74SX-XC1 / INTEL 7260 AC / Samsung 850 PRO / TUNIQ TX-4 / BIOS 203 / 335.23

Pitcher1
Level 9
is it always? when you plug adapter, is it full charger to 100%? you can use tool to check battery.

when it's full charged at 100%, I can use the laptop until it reaches 20% on battery and then it shut down without warning on 20%.
when I reconnect AC adapter. the laptop starts charging at 20% until its full charged at 100%. I am using the latest Asus power4gear . I don't know if it's the battery problem or hardware/ software problem.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Double-check the advanced power settings for the low and crtical battery warnings and actions, but if those look okay, guessing it's a hardware problem?

If you're not under warranty and don't want to spend any money to fix it, you may just want to set the battery warnings and actions to remind you when the battery gets close to 20 or 28% when it normally shuts down.

Double check the advanced power setting won't help me. it still shut down when it reaches 20%.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Yes, sounds like it's probably a hardware problem to me (just wanted to make sure the advanced power settings were not set to shutdown at 20% which is pretty unlikely, but you may want to make sure), but if you set your low battery notification to remind you to plug-in the AC adapter you when your battery gets down to 30%, etc., it can hopefully help you work-around the issue and avoid any unexpected shutdowns (unless the problem gets worse?)? Below is a a screenshot.

Also check the critical battery level (notification), critical battery action, and related battery settings to make sure they look okay and confirm it appears to be a hardware issue.

Don't expect this to be any different, but you might also try draining the battery in safe mode to make sure the same thing happens (and confirm again it points to a hardware issue).

Sorry, this probably doesn't solve the problem of the battery shutting down at 20%, so you may not want to pay much attention to it.

Thanks for the help, cl-Albert.
but advanced power settings doesn't help me. I tried everything, I try to order new battery and see if it's the battery's problem.

I am also experiencing the same issue with my G74SX-RH71. As soon as I hit 20% it shuts off unexpectedly.
Very annoying.

BRuceK
Level 7
I am having a similar problem with my g74sx. after ten minutes while on battery it dies. It does not go into sleep or hibernation, it just shuts off instantly without warning. No problem when I am plugged in.