cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Installation on G53SX

Mirumoto
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I've just ordered a SSD and I would like to prepare for the Windows 7 installation.

I have some questions however on the best way to proceed:

I've already burnt the 5 dvd via AI Recovery burner and also downloaded the ISO in the sticky topic.

Which way do you think is the best? A clean install using the ISO or using the 5 dvd's?

If I use the 5 DVD's will I be able the recreate the 25gigs recovery partition on the SSD?

I would be up for using the 5 dvd's if I can have the 25gigs recovery partition but if I can't I'd rather have a clean version of Windows 7 installed.

Thanks in advance ! 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

Chastity
Level 10
Clean install with Driver updates would be best.

I'd recommend:

Win 7 OS install, and turn off Windows Update.
Install SP1 Redist
Install USB Hotfix
Install Intel INF
Update other drivers
Turn on WU, and do the other updates

You can get your drivers and other hotfix from my Drivers page, linked below.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Mirumoto
Level 7
Well that's a delailed reply!

Thanks, I'll do that when I receive the SSD 🙂

Dual
Level 7
Also make sure that the ssd is the only hdd/ssd in the system when you install Windows. If you want to have both hdd and ssd wait until Windows has installed. I would also suggest you you put a different hdd in the 2nd slot (after windows install) so you keep the original drive in case you want to rma the laptop in the future or check on a software installation or something like that.

Hello Dual,

Why do you think the SSD should be the only drive in the Laptop while installing windows?

Cat
Level 9
I wouldn't recommend trying to get the recovery partition on your SSD. On a HDD 25 gigs is not much, but that SSD memory is expensive and precious and shouldn't be wasted on something like that. Use it for your programs/games instead and keep any data files like movies, pictures, music and stuff you don't need to run fast on your HDD.

Cat wrote:
I wouldn't recommend trying to get the recovery partition on your SSD. On a HDD 25 gigs is not much, but that SSD memory is expensive and precious and shouldn't be wasted on something like that. Use it for your programs/games instead and keep any data files like movies, pictures, music and stuff you don't need to run fast on your HDD.

+1. Totally agree!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

MPerni
Level 7
What about if i am editing a video. I put all the videos that i need to use in the SSD, this will improve something that i will notice or it will be the same if they are in the normal HD?? In my projects i got like 30-50Gb of videos.

MPerni wrote:
What about if i am editing a video. I put all the videos that i need to use in the SSD, this will improve something that i will notice or it will be the same if they are in the normal HD?? In my projects i got like 30-50Gb of videos.

The problem with editing uncompressed video on an SSD is that you're gonna run out of space very quickly, and it's not gonna affect video quality in the end. Something to look at is a video player or editor that can play such large videos smoothly, like virtualdub, which I seem to recall is supposed to be able to do that (also, make sure you have lots and lots of RAM). You should be able to run virtualdub on the SSD, have the files on a HDD and compress them to the HDD. Will probably take longer than doing it all on an SSD, but the end result will be the same and you won't be starved for space as much and you're also not gonna wear out your write sectors as fast (someone correct me on this if SSD wear isn't actually a factor anymore or ever was. My knowledge of this is severely limited).

EDIT: A good idea is to ask this question on a dedicated video editing site, since they should know more about this specifically.

My G53SX came with a 64GB HD. I'd like to run Win7 from a SSD and add the HD back for extra space. Which SSDs would you recommend, do you have any suggested tutorials, and does anyone know of anyone who installs these for people?