Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    @rewben, it only appears with Win 8 preloaded, because Win 8 is designed around EFI, whereas Windows 7 can handle it (but doesn't always like it).

Yes. Microsoft is blocking in the name of "security", but the security that they are referring to is their own profit margins. I for one would not run Windows if I am totally concerned about security, for a whole host of reasons. I don't know if any of you remember, but Microsoft originally wasn't going to allow SecureBoot to be disabled on x86. They backed down on this when Canonical (Ubuntu), Red Hat (Fedora), and several other companies threatened a lawsuit on anti-competition. Microsoft knew they would lose, so they backed off a bit.
    yeah @Zygomorphic. that is just too much. that move alone can kill the whole PC market (who wanna pay for a machine that can run a single native OS only?)

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by okatomy View Post
    Hi,

Why is that on every Laptop from ASUS (not just the ROG series) that doesnt ship with Win8 preinstalled,
    but for example came with Windows 7, Linux oder DOS
    is missing the following Setup options

Fastboot ( under Boot Tab )
    CSM (under Boot Tab)
    Secure Boot ( under Security Tab)

They are hidden by manufacturer?

How to bypass the hiding?

I have a machine that didnt came with Win 8 but i have a Win 8 license and want to be able to use those advanced features.
    fyi.
    I've been playing around with this on a Win7 G75VW notebook (that has also been approved for Win8) running the 223 bios and was able to add the CSM and Secure boot settings to the bios, but unfortunately, it will likely need to be sent in for service to add the settings if your service center agrees to do this.

Anyway, if you want to add those bios settings, suggest you contact your local ASUS service center to ask about getting this done and send me a PM at cl-Albert if you run into any problems, but make sure to get the contact information of the people you talk to.

If you can't find better ways to contact your local ASUS service center, try this page http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en .

Good luck!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    fyi.
    I've been playing around with this on a Win7 G75VW notebook (that has also been approved for Win8) running the 223 bios and was able to add the CSM and Secure boot settings to the bios, but unfortunately, it will likely need to be sent in for service to add the settings if your service center agrees to do this.

Anyway, if you want to add those bios settings, suggest you contact your local ASUS service center to ask about getting this done and send me a PM at cl-Albert if you run into any problems, but make sure to get the contact information of the people you talk to.

If you can't find better ways to contact your local ASUS service center, try this page http://support.asus.com/Hotlines.aspx?SLanguage=en .

Good luck!
    Be a good man and give us the modified bios file

Super Moderator Array

If you didn't already know, you would use the same latest G75VW bios on the ASUS download site to get the functions, but if your G75VW came with Win7, you will still need to get your local ASUS service center to enable those functions in your bios.

If you're not able to get this done with your local ASUS service center, let us know and we can try to look into it more for you, but if they repair any ASUS Windows 8 notebooks, it shouldn't be difficult for them to do this as long as they are willing.

Otherwise, if you just don't want to send your notebook to ASUS to have this done, unfortunately, I'm not able or allowed to provide such a bios, but maybe you can find someone else who can do this.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by cl-Albert View Post
    If you didn't already know, you would use the same latest G75VW bios on the ASUS download site to get the functions, but if your G75VW came with Win7, you will still need to get your local ASUS service center to enable those functions in your bios.

If you're not able to get this done with your local ASUS service center, let us know and we can try to look into it more for you, but if they repair any ASUS Windows 8 notebooks, it shouldn't be difficult for them to do this as long as they are willing.

Otherwise, if you just don't want to send your notebook to ASUS to have this done, unfortunately, I'm not able or allowed to provide such a bios, but maybe you can find someone else who can do this.
    I will not send my notebook to ASUS, I bought it in Romania, now I'm living in Italy, it's complicated... So I have to find someone who can share the bios file with us. The notebook came with Free DOS, not Win7 and now I have installed Windows 8.1 and I really want to get rid of that watermark. "SecureBoot isn't configured correctly". My BIOS is updated to 223.
    Last edited by RIPAciD; 10-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.

New ROGer Array

I would like this info as well. My G75VW came pre-loaded with Win7 and I bought the Win8 Pro upgrade. Since the 8.1 update I have the SecureBoot watermark as well. I am running the latest 223 bios.

Super Moderator Array

@arclight25, if you're located in the U.S. and interested in sending in the notebook to add the secure boot setting, send me a PM at cl-Albert with your serial number and I'll tell you how to arrange it.

If you are more worried about getting rid of the message/watermark rather than actually supporting secure boot, you may want to wait and see if others can come up with a solution to hide that message.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Z~ I can understand that MS may want to reduce competition, but almost every laptop sold has a MS OS installed. They're not going to lose money because someone buys a MS operated laptop and then puts Linux on it!

But my question is why has Asus "hidden" those options? I see quite a few post in which Asus owners have contacted service centers and somehow got them to open up that option. How, I don't know and probably only for those still under warranty.

MS says it's an issue with Asus BIOS... Asus says it's an issue with Windows 8.1! Either way, both are big-time tech companies who communicate probably quite regularly. They need to get together and agree on a fix.

I have an Asus table supposed to ship tomorrow, it may go back unopened! I'm tired of Asus dropping support for product as soon as they go out of warranty. I happened exactly that way with my son Transformer TAB. Asus didn't even have the gust to say they wouldn't upgrade the Android OS anymore, they just let their employees keep tweeting that the TF101 should be getting the update. Its a laggy piece of crap after the earlier update and no way to revert back to the original version. Crap, I tell ya, Crap!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by arclight25 View Post
    I would like this info as well. My G75VW came pre-loaded with Win7 and I bought the Win8 Pro upgrade. Since the 8.1 update I have the SecureBoot watermark as well. I am running the latest 223 bios.
    I am in the same position as above, sending the laptop into can't be the only resolution to this problem. Please ASUS provide us with a fix, new bios with the options enabled isn't that much to ask for.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array wolfy PC Specs
    wolfy PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)MSI GS6QD Ghost
    MotherboardROG Maximus XI Formula
    ProcessorI7 7700 K
    Memory (part number)4x 4 GB kingston hype X DDR4 @3000mhz
    Graphics Card #1MSI 980TI gaming 6GB
    Monitordell 34" curved+23"ASUS +21" iiyama touch
    Storage #1250 GB M.2 NVMe Samsung+1 500gb M.2
    Storage #22 x 500 ssd +1 x 250GB ssd ocz
    CPU CoolerEKWB watercooling
    CasePhanteks enthoo Primo
    Power SupplyCorsair 1000W
    Keyboard Razor Black widow Chroma
    Mouse Razor Mamba Chroma
    Headset/Speakers Razor /Logitech
    OS Win 10

Got the same problem as well with my G75V, got the official upgrade to win 8 , just installed 8.1 and get the watermark.
    i also get another problem after the update i get a pop up saying C:\Windows\System32\LogiLDA.dll The specified module could not be found.
    get this with every startup no idea why i have never had anything by logitech installed on this computer.
    ROG MAXIMUS XI FORMULA
    CPU: Intel 7700K @4.5 ghz
    4X8GB fury x ddr4 ram @3000
    1 x Aurous 1080TI 11GB
    1x 250GB Samsung M.2 NVMe
    1x 500GB Samsung M.2l SSD
    2 X 500 GB OCZ SSD
    1000w PSU from corsair
    tower phanteks enthoo primo
    1 x dell 34" curved + 2x 20"
    cpu
    water cooled by EKWB