cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

okatomy
Level 8
Hi,

Why is that on every Laptop from ASUS (not just the ROG series) that doesnt ship with Win8 preinstalled,
but for example came with Windows 7, Linux oder DOS
is missing the following Setup options

Fastboot ( under Boot Tab )
CSM (under Boot Tab)
Secure Boot ( under Security Tab)

They are hidden by manufacturer?

How to bypass the hiding?

I have a machine that didnt came with Win 8 but i have a Win 8 license and want to be able to use those advanced features.
32 REPLIES 32

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Those features I do believe are only available for Windows 8/UEFI BIOS, unless I am wrong, someone will tell me so.

okatomy
Level 8
G75 has always UEFI Bios for example no matter if it shipped with Win 7 and Win 8

But those options are only visible to Laptops originally shipped with win 8.

okatomy wrote:
G75 has always UEFI Bios for example no matter if it shipped with Win 7 and Win 8

But those options are only visible to Laptops originally shipped with win 8.

What BIOS Version you have installed?

I believe BIOS V223 for the VW, and V206 for the VX have the options in mention!

Edit: Sorry for confustion, only pre-installed Win8 models has the option.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

BIOS 223 on a G75VW that originally shipped with windows 7

do you have those options on yours ? was yours shipped with win 7 oder 8?

rewben
Level 13
@okatomy, such options only appear in laptops with w8 preloaded.

why do you need those bios options for? that's one funny way MS blocking average users to access other OS's in the name of security. it does nothing useful in the real world (unless, of course, the implementation allows all other OS's to be equally protected).

i have a w7-preinstalled laptop. i am glad it doesn't have these funny options.

rewben wrote:
@okatomy, such options only appear in laptops with w8 preloaded.

why do you need those bios options for? that's one funny way MS blocking average users to access other OS's in the name of security. it does nothing useful in the real world (unless, of course, the implementation allows all other OS's to be equally protected).

i have a w7-preinstalled laptop. i am glad it doesn't have these funny options.

@rewben, it only appears with Win 8 preloaded, because Win 8 is designed around EFI, whereas Windows 7 can handle it (but doesn't always like it).

Yes. Microsoft is blocking in the name of "security", but the security that they are referring to is their own profit margins. I for one would not run Windows if I am totally concerned about security, for a whole host of reasons. I don't know if any of you remember, but Microsoft originally wasn't going to allow SecureBoot to be disabled on x86. They backed down on this when Canonical (Ubuntu), Red Hat (Fedora), and several other companies threatened a lawsuit on anti-competition. Microsoft knew they would lose, so they backed off a bit.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
@rewben, it only appears with Win 8 preloaded, because Win 8 is designed around EFI, whereas Windows 7 can handle it (but doesn't always like it).

Yes. Microsoft is blocking in the name of "security", but the security that they are referring to is their own profit margins. I for one would not run Windows if I am totally concerned about security, for a whole host of reasons. I don't know if any of you remember, but Microsoft originally wasn't going to allow SecureBoot to be disabled on x86. They backed down on this when Canonical (Ubuntu), Red Hat (Fedora), and several other companies threatened a lawsuit on anti-competition. Microsoft knew they would lose, so they backed off a bit.

yeah @Zygomorphic. that is just too much. that move alone can kill the whole PC market (who wanna pay for a machine that can run a single native OS only?)

okatomy
Level 8
i know but i feel like im an advanced user and i want to enable / disable whatever options i need.

it feels more like ASUS is currently blocking me from using the options i want too.

its not just about secure boot, Fastboot and CSM are hidden too.

one more reason is that you get a permanent watermark once you upgrade to windows 8.1

this guy has an ASUS laptop too. it seems to be an ASUS problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-performance/secureboot-isnt-configure...

rewben
Level 13
ok 🙂 the thing is, the secureboot and related options only appear in machines with w8 preloaded. CSM is not needed because we can install whatever we want. as for fastboot, well, i am ok without it. (my g55 boots faster than my aw m17x r4).

uh? where exactly is the watermark showned? i hope it doesn't affect the performance of the laptop.