cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VI Impact - Cooling advise

Pegabee
Level 7
Hi Guys

I am planning to build a new system and would need some advise especially on the cooling part.
So my build would be based on Bitfenix Prodigy M case, using the ASUS VI Maximus Impact motherboard. I plan to install an i5-4670K for overclocking.

My first question is what cooler should I use that provides good enough performance for overclocking the CPU and would still fit into the motherboard and the case. I personally love the Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler and did see videos on YouTube where they managed to fit this cooler in the bitfenix case but i am not sure that with this motherboard (especially due to the audio part) would fit. Do you have any experience with this build maybe, I am not experienced with water cooling so would prefer a aircooling system but if it's easier / better with waterc. i might give that one a try (probably could handle these all in one type solutions).

Lastly, I am planning to put an Nvidia Gtx780 as a video card, do you think a 650 watt PSU would be enough to handle the card and the overclocked PCU or i should rather look at the 700 range ? Due to the case I need to target shorter PSUs (<160mm) so thats also a consideration.

Anyhow, I would be grateful if you could provide me with any sort of assistance on either of these two questions.

Thank you all in advance.
5 REPLIES 5

kkn
Level 14
you have the closed loop WC units if thats an option, that way uou only have to think about where to fit the radiator ( normal 120 fan slot space ), and that way you dont have to think clerance of ram and to the screencard.
psu, i personaly would go 750W and IF your planing to go sli i would do minimum 850W but would advice to go up to the 1000W range if so.

look at corsairs closed loop coolers and see what you think, there are others out there but i cant come up whit enny other name as of now.

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Pegabee.

With that much firepower you're packing in that little case, it would be a shame to not go water cooling. The closed loops systems that kkn mentioned are very easy to install and maintenance free. The Corsair H100i and Swiftech H220 are popular among enthusiasts. You should definately put one of those babies in your rig.

If you're looking a good PSU around the 700W range, you can get the SeaSonic G-750 SSR-750RM 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified for $104.99 at Newegg. It measures exactly 160mm so you should have no problem fitting in your case.

Pegabee
Level 7
Thank you both for the advise, makes me already much more secure about the system, the cooling was an especially problematic question 🙂

kkn
Level 14
a cooler like that you can mount in the roof of the case or on the exhaust, but have is as intake to take cool air in to have the best cooling on it.
or you will only help heat up the fluid in side the radiator if you blow hot air tru it ( from inside and out ).

HiVizMan
Level 40
You will have a very positive outcome with a closed loop WC system. If you need silent then please think about your fan selection. The top of the range WC systems can be loud at times. Test and see what works for your system.

The seasonic is the best option in my view.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.