cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula 8pin and 4pin ATX ?

Dicehunter
Level 10
So at the moment i have the standard 24pin ATX plugged in aswell as the 8pin ATX, when is the 4pin ATX needed ? **not talking about the 4pin molex**

Any info is much appreciated 🙂

21 REPLIES 21

MoreBloodWine
Level 7
Not much help but I always go by Tim Taylor more power never hurts rule, just mean that AFAIK there's no harm in having them both plugged in, 4 pin molex included.

Edit: I did hear somewhere here that the 4pin only applies to certain CPU's but I forget the thread it was in.
MyU2Sig.com Gen Status: - Total unique user count:

Sig OK'd by Brian@ASUS.

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
If you have the jacks available from your power supply It wont hurt anything to utilize all of them. Once you get everything up and running you can always shut down pull the plugs to see if youll run stable without the extra current supplies to save on some electric $$ In all reality if youre not running multi GPU's and your processor/memory doesnt need the extra power it will not draw more than is needed anyways (OHM's law) & (WATTS law) so basically plug them all in if your power supply can support it. That way if you later need to install a device that will need it it will already be there. It will allevieate future problems when installing a device and forgetting to add the power factor...
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Praz
Level 13
Dicehunter wrote:
So at the moment i have the standard 24pin ATX plugged in aswell as the 8pin ATX, when is the 4pin ATX needed ?

The extra 4 pin +12V EPS connector will be needed for pushing Bulldozer.

69_Goat
Level 7
The 4-pin ATX plug is provided on PSUs because low-end motherboards sometimes only have a 4-pin plug instead of an 8-pin.
i7-980X | EVGA 762 Classified | 6GB Dom GT 2000C7 | GTX580 SLI

i7-2600K | Asus MIVE-Z68 | 4GB Dom GT 2000C8 | GTX580 Martix

69_Goat's HWBOT Profile

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
I Just bought the 1100T and got raped on EBAY selling my 970BE If the Bulldozer comes out next week I just might Go Postal !
LOL
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

Ferosin
Level 9
What Praz said.

I tried using 8 pin and 4 pin and it would not post. The user guide shows using one or the other not both. Page 2-40 shows a diagram using 1. Only the 8 pin in the 8 pin plug in. 2. Using a 4 pin in half of the 8pin plug in. 3. Using 4 pin in the 4 pin plug in. Can some from Asus comferm this or is somthing wrong with my CHV?? Or is it just that my 1090T can't handle it and I'll need to run it that way when BD get installed?? I would love to have the extra power if it is supose to be that way. I sure don't want to kill my hardware if it is not.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.

Jaytheredneck1
Level 8
I'm not from Asus, but I can confirm that your board not posting has nothing to do with having had both of those plugged in. I have both the 8 and 4 jacked in without issue.
Crosshair V Formula 990FX 0506 Bios - Phenom II X6 1100T - Gskill Sniper 1600MHz (4x4GB) - Saphire Radeon 6770 - OCZ Agility 3 60GB - WD Black 1TB - Cooler Master V6GT - Antec Dark Fleet 85 - Antec CP-850 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Jaytheredneck1 wrote:
I'm not from Asus, but I can confirm that your board not posting has nothing to do with having had both of those plugged in. I have both the 8 and 4 jacked in without issue.

Well I can tell you this. When is pluged in I get nothing. When I unplug it I get post. I cleared cmos and it did not do anything. I guess something is bad on my board. Still would like to hear from Asus on this.

Being ingnorant and ingnored one post at a time.