cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M6Extreme Multipliter Stuck at 8 within OS

mikelbivins
Level 7
Folks,

I tried the AI Charger+ to charge my tablet and when I clicked "Apply" my system crashed and I lost it all. After I reinstalled Windows 8, my WiFi no longer works and the multiplier is stuck at 8 keeping all cores at 800mhz. And trust me, it's performing that way. In the UEFI Bios I can change everything and save it. My OC panel reads Block @ 100 and Ratio at 46 but in the OS (whether within CPU-Z or AI Suite 3 it shows multiplier at 8 (800mzh) and it stays that way not matter what I change in the Bios. I must have fried or triggered something whn I tried the AI Charger. Has anyone else heard of this? When I run AIDA64 or Prime 95, it pushes the cores to 100% but the temperature only increase on the CPU by 2 degrees. And my system is sooooo slow. That's why I believe the 800 MHZ reading as opposed to the BIOS and OC Panel of 4600. PLEASE HELP. I don't what to have to send it back to ASUS.
30 REPLIES 30

Raja
Level 13
Make sure you don't have slow mode enabled in the OC Panel or on the motherboard. Seen people slide that switch over by accident before and got through what you are here.

Thanks Raja. I will check it out this morning.

Raja. I am having trouble remembering what it looks like within CPUID when it is working correctly. Is it the multiplier that changes the frequency of the CPU (like the multiplier at x 46 will equate to 4.6 ghz)?

Raja
Level 13
The CPU multiplier will change according to the load on the processor. At near idle, it should go down to minimum (whaterver that is), at full load it with go to something in the thirties. If it is locked at 8X even when the system is under full load, then it is is likely the slow mode switch as mentioned earlier. The slw mode switch is a mechanical switch placed on the motehrboard near teh DIMM slots, and there is another within the OC panel.

Is this your first system build?

Raja, I checked the LN2 jumper & the slow mode switch and they are still in default mode (Off/Disabled). I hoped I had somehow moved the switch by accident so I checked it like you suggested. I knew inside that wasn't the problem because I haven't opened my case since this disaster occurred. I am so bummed out. I had this rig running tip top in complete UEFI mode. Booted in 5 seconds... I switched to BIOS # 2 but it still didn't fix the stuck multiplier. It did fix the WiFi NIC issue though (or maybe that was just because I jiggled it around while I was checking the switches).

When I tried the AI Charger it must have fried something or ruined my CPU's abilities. It looks like I will have to create an RMA and send it out... What a bummer!!!!! Unless someone out there know of this happening to another. I will call ASUS to get the ball rolling.

Raja, I checked the LN2 jumper & the slow mode switch and they are still in default mode (Off/Disabled). I hoped I had somehow moved the switch by accident so I checked it like you suggested. I knew inside that wasn't the problem because I haven't opened my case since this disaster occurred. I am so bummed out. I had this rig running tip top in complete UEFI mode. Booted in 5 seconds... I switched to BIOS # 2 but it still didn't fix the stuck multiplier. It did fix the WiFi NIC issue though (or maybe that was just because I jiggled it around while I was checking the switches).

When I tried the AI Charger it must have fried something or ruined my CPU's abilities. It looks like I will have to create an RMA and send it out... What a bummer!!!!! Unless someone out there know of this happening to another. I will call ASUS to get the ball rolling.

By the RAJA. Thanks for taking the time to help me. I know of you throughout this ROG site and you are very well known & respected. It's like corresponding with a movie star...

Raja
Level 13
AI Charger has nothing to do with the CPU multiplier ratio. I would clear CMOS, and start again. RMAing the board likely won't fix this; the issue is either misconfigured UEFI or something funky in the OS power management settings. At worst, it's simply you not knowing what you actually need to check to make sure the multiplier ratio is changing when it should be. I am however giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

1) Clear CMOS
2) Check the CPU ratio in the OS using the latest CPU-Z version. Use a stress test to load the CPU fully (prime 95 or Intel burn test etc).
3) If the ratio still does not change. Reflash UEFI by downloading the latest version and using EZ Flash 2. You will need a FAT32 formatted flash drive.
4) If that does not work either, you will need to show us UEFI screenshots (FAt32 formatted drive again) and OS screenshots before I will suggest you RMA.

-Raja

Raja, the benefit of the doubt is well deserved. I tried all you've suggested multiple times before I even asked for help on this site. the AI Charger+ crashed my whole system and it was unrecoverable after several hours of trying. I am telling you it triggered something and it locked either the CPU or a UEFI setting. I've reinstalled Windows 3 times to no avail. Changed tons of CPU tweaks, cleared CMOS and updated UEFI to the latest version 0711 in both UEFI chips. If time allows today, I will put the CPU back into my old motherboard (ASUS Z87 Deluxe) to narrow down if it is the board or the CPU itself that got locked up. I will keep you posted. I have two other ASUS rigs I built that kick butt (1. ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 w/ 3930K & 2. ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z AM3+ 8350 Vishera) and have them ripping fast. A lot of experience building since the pentium 4 days and have never had this happen. I think the PROS will have to fix this. I take the blame for many mistakes I've made over the years but this one was not my fault. But if ASUS doesn't want to cover me on this issue, I will still just buy a new ASUS board as I am a die hard ASUS fan and have no other type of Rig. ASUS is the best, the AI Chargers is NOT...LOL.