Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonCantor View Post
    Winblows 8 gaining support????WTF!!!! the only people besides Gorman that willingly puts it on, is the people who buy a New PC and is forced to run 8 and can't Downgrade to 7! Hell BillyBobYourKnob Gates won't even run 8!! Look Here for his thought on 8! http://dailycurrant.com/2013/01/07/b...ade-windows-8/.
    I bought it [on the first offer] and installed Start 8. Without metro, it's great.

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

That Makes 2, I'm sorry for the both of you....BUT then you are a Marketing Rep and it is your job to know about the Latest Products ether good or bad others don't have that excuse....I'll wait for Windows 9 just like Bill Gates(BTW he is the Ex Owner of Microshaft and still Majority Stock Holder)....I have never seen a Clutch on an Automatic before ether.....ROFL!

Another thing to remember is that most Gamers don't run Windows 8 they run Windows 7 or XP and 90% of Businesses refuse to install Windows 8 and that should say something....

I understand that your intentions were pure and dignified in listing it which makes you an Honorable Rep. but I just couldn't leave it alone considering the facts, sorry...

Yes, @MarshallR is right, Windows 8 is faster on boot, and supports more RAM (no more stupid 16 GB RAM limitations). It ran really nicely in a VM. With the Start Menu back, I think that it would be a winner. Too bad Microsoft has this track record of 50% of their products being good, and 50% being bad...though the Surface Pro seems to be a definite winner.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Shut Up Stupid! Array DaemonCantor's Avatar

Zygo, I thought you were a Linux Fanatic and now your telling me your a Windows 8 fan??? what gives? BTW windows 7 doesn't have a 16 gig limit but instead by Microsoft's own statements it has a 2 Terabyte limit and a 32 Core limit the 16gig limit you just spoke of would be from one of the Dinosaur Core2Duo or the Athlon XP any newer CPU and Mobo has a minimum limit of 32gigs...Look up the Specs from even a Crosshair 2 which is about the same time that the limit raised. But now you have the other side of the coin, with only 4 memory slot and a DDR3 Modules max size of 8gigs how would you install more than 32gigs....? If I had the money right now I'd take this old Athlon II x64 965Black I'm running and bump it up to 32gigs just for sh1ts and giggles.

As to Windows 8 I've stated it before I may not like the UI but I can't stand Secure Boot and will not upgrade because of it...'ever' and I'm not the only one that takes this stand but on the other side of the coin did you read the article I linked? if not you should it's funny as hell!

But all of this back and forth doesn't take into the facts I stated that can be referenced from the net that out of the margin listed in MarshallR's report that only about 5% of them even willingly installed Windows 8 and supported it, the Vast Majority of Windows 8 sales come from OEM's and you don't even get the opportunity to Downgrade Like when Vista Came out to Windows 7( There are no Paths being offered even by Microsoft which enforced the Downgrade. So back to my statments of "Winblows 8 gaining support????WTF!!!! the only people besides Gorman that willingly puts it on, is the people who buy a New PC and is forced to run 8 and can't Downgrade to 7! Hell BillyBobYourKnob Gates won't even run 8!! Look Here for his thought on 8! http://dailycurrant.com/2013/01/07/b...ade-windows-8/. " is correct.

Now MarshallR in no way was I trying to disrespect you but instead I was having fun with your reports....Gorman on the other hand....well he is a Major Winbolws 8 supporter....Did I just say that?...Oh well it's out there now!....OOOOOPPPPPPPSSSS! My Bad!

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Yes, @MarshallR is right, Windows 8 is faster on boot, and supports more RAM (no more stupid 16 GB RAM limitations). It ran really nicely in a VM. With the Start Menu back, I think that it would be a winner. Too bad Microsoft has this track record of 50% of their products being good, and 50% being bad...though the Surface Pro seems to be a definite winner.
    This. Except the VM, but plus 1 to faster network file transfer I've found.

32GB of RAM and SSD = faster than Win 7.

I think most of those upgrading are doing it because you can't get Win 7 (in most channels) anymore. 8.1 should see faster uptake.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

I think Win 8.1 says 'Move on, or be left behind' .. leaving my copy of Win8 still unopened, sitting on my desk. drat.c.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array abvolt's Avatar

That's really nice to see the stats on this site im in the category Northern American 39.57% where in the world is the ROG site hosted form? does any one know.. and as far as win 8 goes win 7 ultimate cost me way too much $$ to even consider an upgrade for a long time to come.
    Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
    NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
    Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chrisnyc75's Avatar

If you install Start8, 8gadgetpack, and for the most part ignore the "Metro" tiles page, Windows 8 is actually nicely streamlined. It's just a shame they leave it up to us to find our own solutions to its weak spots when it's obvious 99.9% of users have no desire or capacity to find/implement those solutions.

And not for nothing, even though I am a Windows 8 user, and consider it a teeny-tiny upgrade from Windows 7, I still consider it a giant *fail* and look forward to Windows 9.
    Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
    EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
    XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
    Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

@DC, I am by no means a Windows 8 fan - quite the opposite. I was simply noting what performance improvements there were over Windows 7. Simple statement of what I perceive to be facts, most definitely not an endorsement of the product.

I am totally with you on this. The whole "Secure Boot" fiasco really has me mad at Microsoft. I run LINUX on my system, and Windows 7 in a VM (for those times when MS Office is absolutely mandatory - still trying to convince others of Libreoffice). Unless MS reverses their stand on the "Secure Boot" attempts to lock out LINUX, I will never buy another one of their products - ever again. If they want to encourage a BIOS-level security system, that's fine, I heartily endorse security. Forcing it on consumers isn't a matter of security, it's a violation of the anti-trust laws.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2