cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung 840 pro Raid 0 help

Siamak8286
Level 7
Hello ROG community, I managed to grab another 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro, so now I have 2 exact ones, my question is whats the best way to setup my system now, I want to have my Steam and games on a seperate partition for sure so:

1. Is it better to raid 0 my 512gb SSDs and make 2 partitions 1 got OS and 1 for games or
2. Forget the raid and just use 1 of the 512Gb for OS and the other one for Games?
3. Also does TRIM works in raid 0??? I also have a Maximus V Extreme with 3770K
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
My advice is not have two partitions.

Use your two SSDs as one RAID. Seriously you get better mileage with that configuration if RAID is what you want to do. I have moved away from RAID with my SSDs I must confess, now I use your option two as that just gives me the flexibility that I need and the trim support.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Pretty sure I answered this earlier. See my reply in your other thread, and may I please ask you not to double post. We do answer very quickly compared to other support forums. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Siamak8286
Level 7
Did I??? I never double posted, I'm writing this on my phone, maybe it's why, never the less I didn't see a double post 😞

Chino
Level 15
Since it's a gaming rig, I'd pick number 2. You won't need the speed of RAID 0 and probably wouldn't even notice it either. Besides having a RAID array increases your boot time a little.

what do you guys think about Samsung 840 EVO? they just released a 1TB version and If im not gonna Raid my SSDs I can return the 2nd 840 pro 512gb that I just got and put a bit more cash and get a 1TB 840 EVO for my Steam and Games and have my 512GB 840 Pro for my OS and Apps.

apocalypzez
Level 10
I've the exact SSD setup and I use RAID 0 with one whole chunk for OS, apps, steam, origin and UbiPlay installs. I do back up my games on my 1.5TB WD blacks in case I had to format or update RAID software from the Bios. That said I do use te modded bios for raid trim support. Here's the link if you need it:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1244232/asus-asrock-msi-gigabyte-bioss-with-updated-raid-orom
ASUS Maximus IX APEX || Core i7 7700K || Corsair H150i Pro || EVGA RTX 2080 Ti B.E. || G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C15D-16GTZR 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 @ 15-16-16-35-2N || ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB x 2 (RAID0) || WD RED 3TB x 2 || Corsair AX1200i || NZXT H700i (without the smart hub) || Dell U3011 || Windows 10 Pro x64 || Logitech Z2300 THX Certified 2.1 & Corsair Vengeance 2000 ||