cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia graphic driver updates?

Ronteque
Level 7
The last nvidia graphic driver update was released on 2013/07/18 and it is version 311 something?

The latest graphic driver is already at version 326.

When are we going to get the next nvidia graphic driver update? Or should I just use the nvidia beta drivers?

I want better performance for my games. The asus version is so far behind.:(
35 REPLIES 35

Dream
Level 7
I've been running the latest non-beta driver direct from Nvidia for a few weeks now, no problems, on my JX with Win 7. It gave me a big boost on 3Dmark scores. I say give that one a go and if there is a recurring problem just do a restore.
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Cykon
Level 7
Firstly, none of the other manufacturers of Gaming Laptops such as Alienware or MSI offer constant updates for graphic drivers, it is considered low priority as most people download generic driver from NVIDIA/AMD Radeon.

If you prefer the customized UI provided by installing the ASUS drivers you are more than welcome to wait, but I wouldn't hold my breath. As far as I know, only BETA drivers are available for users running Windows 8.1 probably due to the fact that it hasn't been officially released - RTM has been made available through means of illegal distribution.

The difference in performance between most updates in graphic drivers are generally minuscule (excluding major issues in specific games) compared to overclocking the GPU core and memory at user's discretion.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Cykon hit it on the head. OEMs never keep up with modern driver revisions. They provide what they've tested the machine against, so the most up to date drivers will always be directly from NVidia (in this case).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Draetor24
Level 7
From what I understand, the driver directly from Nvidia/ATI will provide better performance than laptop tested drivers. Sure, they might not have the manufacturer's specific UI/additions, but we want a driver for gaming performance, and having the latest one from our GPU manufacturer is optimal.

The problem is that it seems the WHQL driver from Nvidia isn't supported on the G750, but the latest beta is. Maybe the next WHQL will be supported.

Pitcher1
Level 9
when asus get driver from NVIDIA, we will make a little transform to accord to our product and pass WHQL, but not all beta driver.

patros
Level 7
@Pitcher@Asus: If it's just minor modifications of the NVIDIA drivers and then getting them passed by WHQL, why is it we're still on GeForce driver version 311.83, which was released by NVIDIA 9 months ago and since then, version 314.07 was released 8 months ago, version 314.22 was released 7 months ago, version 320.18 was released less than 5 months ago and version 320.49 was released 3 months ago.

What's even more disheartening is the laptop was released 2 months ago.

This is a notice to Asus, just letting you guys know that the folks handling drivers at your company are NOT doing their jobs and either Asus should release hardware that works with the generic GeForce drivers from NVIDIA or they update their customised drivers with a lag time of maximum 2-3 days, not 9-10 months.

Does that summarise the sentiment of all G750 owners here in this forum?
Jesse Pinkman: "What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Badger: "Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the Death Star."

Skinny Pete: "True that. Two of them bitches."

😄

Don't expect ASUS to provide as frequent updates for graphic drivers, unless there is a major problem (issues that causes system crash or perform outside of optimal range) that needs to be addressed immediately they are not obligated to do so. And as far as I know every laptop (after reading the numerous feedback issues on NotebookReview forums) with GeForce 700 series has had issues installing generic NVIDIA drivers (users have been using modified INF file to install generic drivers), therefore it's an ongoing issue between the manufacturers and NVIDIA.

To everyone that keeps pressing ASUS to release drivers to support Windows 8.1, please keep in mind that Windows 8.1 has not been officially released yet and even NVIDIA does not have WHQL drivers to support Windows 8.1. And as Pitcher mentioned ASUS get their drivers from NVIDIA, should you then complain to NVIDIA that they aren't doing their jobs?

If you are every bit of an enthusiast as you say, then you are potentially missing out on performance tweaks from driver updates. Regardless of any enhancements made by ASUS to the GPU, it still uses the NVIDIA chipset and behaves as such.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to convince you to download either ASUS or NVIDIA drivers - I'm only sharing my knowledge and perception regarding this subject matter.

patros wrote:

This is a notice to Asus, just letting you guys know that the folks handling drivers at your company are NOT doing their jobs and either Asus should release hardware that works with the generic GeForce drivers from NVIDIA or they update their customised drivers with a lag time of maximum 2-3 days, not 9-10 months.

Sadly you notice will not be heard in this offical manufacturer forum. Why? Because of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twUCEfzrDk

Pitchblack wrote:
Sadly you notice will not be heard in this offical manufacturer forum. Why? Because of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twUCEfzrDk

LMAO!!! Well guys, in all seriousness, I can't complain. As I said before, all my games do run just fine using the last Asus drivers provided, including Metro: Last Light at 1920x1080 with GeForce Experience setting the game settings at "Optimal" which are pretty decent i.e., Advanced PhysX On, Quality High, SSAA Off, Tessellation Very High and Texture Filtering AF 16X

Already halfway through the game, no tearing, no lag, no nothing. It's fluid, easy and btw, brilliant a game.

I just wish Asus would appeal to my OCD self and provide me with up to date drivers regularly 😄 What a wonderful world that'd be?
Jesse Pinkman: "What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Badger: "Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the Death Star."

Skinny Pete: "True that. Two of them bitches."

😄