cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speakers not working except for sub-woofer on my first-ever Asus..

ZebraUp
Level 7
Hi y'all, I just got my first-ever Asus a couple of days ago and have a hopefully easy to fix problem.. the computer is a G75VX - Best Buy version with the Windows 8 (yuck!) the problem is the speakers aren't working.. except for the sub-woofer and it seems to be playing full-range sound. I went to sound in the control panel and checked to make sure everything is hopefully set up correctly and adjusted the level of the sub to 0 and tried vainly to test the speakers via the 'test' buttons.. nada.. unfortunately I can't even test if the headphone jack is working either because my headphones are in another state at the moment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated..
I also plan on scavenging the 8 G's of ram I currently have in my old laptop to bring this Asus up to 16 G's and am wondering if doing this presents any concerns..
Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

ZebraUp
Level 7
note: with the sub-woofer level turned up when testing left & right speakers via 'sound' in the control panel, both left & right play from the sub... but nothing from the front left or right speakers.. 😞

Sounds like you may have a defective NB take it back to the vendor where you got it.
Before you do that download the latest Driver from the Asus Download site for your NB, uninstall the current drivers reboot and install the latest available.
The Sub woofer is not in fact a LFE it is merely a bass speaker and all sound play's through it. With the latest drivers installed you should be able to turn down the volume of the Bass speaker enough that you can hear the Left and right speakers. Setting up the equalizer settings you can make is sound alright.
If not then you may have a hardware problems as I stated earlier take it back to Best Buy before you return time ends.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for the reply Clint.. I just got done rebooting my machine after rolling back the sound driver from whatever update it received during the initial turn on.. I did this prior to seeing your reply to my post... now the fronts work but no woofer or even woofer option as it is the default Microsoft driver I assume.. so at least now I know it's a driver problem and not a hardware problem so I am greatly relieved.
I will take your advice and download the newest driver available next.
Thanks once again for your assistance!

You should be able to find the Realtec drivers here
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ZebraUp
Level 7
Yeah Clint.. the drivers I downloaded from there work great and now all three speakers (front L&R & sub) are working fine.. appreciate the assistance.. I was honestly confused because on initial boot up it went online and said it was downloading from Asus.. so I figured it would have downloaded the latest drivers.. hmm..? Oh well, i'm a happy camper now and next will start checking the ram from my old computer and see if it's compatible specs-wise with the ram that came with this beast... so far I am pleased with it.

Yes the best thing to do is uninstall that ASUS UPDATE. Go get your own drivers its much safer. Even if your only getting them from ASUS you will be in control don't let anything auto update a good way to screw up your NB.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ZebraUp
Level 7
Ahh... spoke too soon! Turns out the left speaker is fine but the right side speaker works in conjuction with the so-called subwoofer.. if I turn down the subwoofer levers in 'Sound/Speakers/Properties I lose all sound from both the sub AND the right side speaker... sheeesh! So still working on what will fix this minor annoyance.. the new driver I got from Asus is the RealTek 6.0.1.6818

I don't have the Real Tek card so I can't help you with that, but I would assume that it should have its own interface or software to adjust it?? Rather than trying to adjust it with windows?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ZebraUp
Level 7
Yes you were right.. I just had a hard time finding it with me not being used to Windows 8... everything tests okay in the Realtek audio manager.. 🙂