cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JW - ?? Possible connection/shorting issue ?? rebooting

macintia
Level 7
Hi Everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having spontaneous reboots or issues when physically handling their machine?
It seems like if I grab the unit to pick it up and apply pressure (nothing crazy) near the video card the unit reboots or the monitor turns off.

I have recently swapped the 1TB HDD for a 512GB SSD and set the original drive as a secondary. I can't see this being the issue but one never knows 😉

Thanks in advance!
7 REPLIES 7

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Well, it defeats the purpose of a laptop being portable if that happens. 😉 Your battery has a charge when this happens?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Pitcher1
Level 9
i don't know understand what do you mean if I grab the unit to pick it up and apply pressure (nothing crazy) near the video card? so you mean when you apply pressure to your laptop will auto shutdown or?

Anyone thinks this is a easter egg feature? 😄
Jesse Pinkman: "What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Badger: "Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the Death Star."

Skinny Pete: "True that. Two of them bitches."

😄

I have tried it with different battery levels and get the same result.

I started noticing the issue when it was booting up. I almost always put the computer to sleep instead of shutting it down. The last few times I pulled it out of my backpack it did a full boot. I didn't pay much attention to it until today when I went to move it and it rebooted in my hands right as I picked it up. I've had the laptop for about 2 months now and its never done this until after I swapped the HD.

As far as "pressure" I mean enough to have a decent grip on it while moving it. No unnecessary force. I use my laptop in an industrial setting and it gets moved/carried a lot.

patros
Level 7
Given the issue did not occur before you swapped the drives, you might want to check the pins for the drive connections and see if any got damaged or is loose. If after checking that, it still has issues, you're going to have to get in touch with Asus and call it in under warranty.

I believe the installation of RAM as per Asus specifications or HDDs or SSDs does not void warranty, so you should be good to go.

Best of luck and cheers!
Jesse Pinkman: "What's the point of being an outlaw when you got responsibilities?"

Badger: "Darth Vader had responsibilities. He was responsible for the Death Star."

😄

Thanks Patros! That was the solution or so it seems sofar... I had the laptop in my bag all night and when I got home it would even boot. I feel kind of silly saying this but It looks like I had one of the HDs mounted in the bracket backwards. Ohh well *facepalm*

macintia wrote:
Thanks Patros! That was the solution or so it seems sofar... I had the laptop in my bag all night and when I got home it would even boot. I feel kind of silly saying this but It looks like I had one of the HDs mounted in the bracket backwards. Ohh well *facepalm*

You're welcome macintia!

*facepalm*

😄