cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M6Formula reboot instead of shutdown problem

CSN7
Level 7
Hey mates,

I got myself this nice formula board and I'm really happy with it. The only thing I encountered so far was a weird issue when I hit the shutdown button in windows. The board then reboots instead of shutting down, then when I hit the shutdown button again in windows, it now really shuts down. It's really annoying and can't be meant to be. Is the board faulty? Or just an issue of an early bios? (got the latest by the asus webside btw)

help is very much appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

STER187
Level 7
Hi!

I do have the same issue.. but in my case it's an Maximus 6 Hero (C2)

you can shut the PC down on the second try but in my case that's not happening. sometimes i need 3 times. And the best: sometimes the board fells in some kind of sleep mode when i shut down. -> but the fans & LEDs are still on. No awakening possible.

As I know this issue happends to different Asus-Boards with different Windows versions (7&8) for an example sabertooth Z77

I tryed many "solutions" jet, but nothing helps. The Board itself runs with no other Problem and stable.
I do also know someone in an other Forum with the M6Hero with the same issue.

This Problem is so damn ennoying..

Does anyone has a solution? Or does Asus already know the issue and is working on a solution?

best regards
STER187

CSN7
Level 7
Hi STER187,

yep the additional behavior you mentioned, I got the exact same thing. The occational "sleep" after shutting down etc. and it's only possible to shut the system down at a second or third try... I found it depends on if you do it in a certain timeframe without starting any programms -> then it would shut down.

The Q-Code the motherboard shows is "05" when falling in this occational "sleep" after an attempt to shut the system down. Funny about it, there is no describtion for that code in the manual. Only 04 and 06... frustrating.

At least we are not alone, I hope Asus looks into this!

STER187
Level 7
Hi Bash4Shure!

jea exactly! i'm also very glad that i'm not the only one 😉 (sounds weird)

i didn't find the the Q-Code either.. thought i was blind.. but it's not in the list.

i did read much about this bug and i do have some more ideas to try.
I will test them today after work. (possibility of an result goes down with the listing)

- delete the Intel HD Grafik Driver from disc
- checking the other drivers (delete the not needed)
- clear CMOS once more / check the states set in Restore Power Loss option
- disable the iGPU

and btw. i also agree with that timeframe between boot and shutdown. (so it coudt be a driver)

i will post my results from testing today..

best regards
STER187

CSN7
Level 7
I found a solution, that worked for me. So far no reboots on shutdown anymore!!

All I did was uninstalling the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Software. That sealed the deal for me.

And just in case to make sure I installed the latest Intel chipset drivers from Intels website.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...?DwnldID=20775

Little Tip for chipsetdrivers:
To make them override your present chipset drivers I always used to make a shortcut of the setup file and go to properties and add to the path: "....exe" -OVERRIDE
Then start the shortcut as administrator by right-clicking it.

Please try it and confirm if it works for you or not.

STER187
Level 7
Hei!

seems like it worked..

damn Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Software .... WTF

i just shutdown like 10 Times.. no prob 😄

but i will keep testing and if the error comes again i will post

best regards
STER187

big THX to Bash4Sure!!!

CSN7
Level 7
great news! glad it worked for you too!

So it seems like the current Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Software produces some incompatibility with rog boards.

I had same problem with my Hero board, uninstalled IRST, shutdown works fine, but on reboot, would give message saying I could eject my sata C: drive? I then tried installing the newest IRST listed on the Asus site for my board, and the problem has not come back, and the safe to eject message is gone as well.

Looks like for me anyway, the IRST software on the CD that came with my board was the problem, and the new software listed on the site corrected it. Have not had the shut down hang for 2 days now since I installed the updated software.

CSN7
Level 7
I always use the latest software from the asus site. And the latest IRST caused the listed problems on the Formula at least. I still installed the latest Intel AHCI driver through the device manager, but without the IRST software package that previously caused the problems. As long as you don't have a RAID config you won't even need IRST.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You are so kidding me, that was the cause. I had to do do a clean install of OS to get it to go away.

Thanks for the fix lads.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.