cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVIF - Ghost start-ups from sleep or power-off

Krab19
Level 7
Hello all!!

Before i describe the issue which I am having, I will provide my specs. Please note that the OS is Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, which was a clean install last Saturday once the build was completed.

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
Cooler: Corsair H100i
GPU: ASUS GTX 780 DCII
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866 Mhz
Case: Corsair Air 540
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro (Boot Drive)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (Data Drive)
PSU: Corsair AX760

Just in case, I have the following peripherals:

Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Connected to USB 2.0 ports on motherboard)
Mouse: Corsair M65 (Connected to USB 2.0 ports on motherboard)
Monitors: 2 x Asus VS248H-P

Now for the issue itself. As the title says, I am getting Ghost start-ups. It has happened from both sleep and power-off states. Strangely, this seems to happen more so during the late evening - early morning hours. My first thought was that either wake on LAN was enabled or some scheduled task was going off. I had disabled the wake on LAN from the Broadcom Wi-fi module as well as the Intel Ethernet connector, and I quickly went through my scheduled tasks and I disabled any task which I believed could have caused an issue. I then went to the advance power settings in the power options and disabled "Allow wake Timers" under the 'Sleep' tab.

Unfortunately, the only time which I was able to catch my computer doing one of these ghost start-ups was last night, just after midnight. This was shortly (approximately 20 minutes) after shutting down the computer. I was able to go into the Task Scheduler and see what tasks had started within the past hour. I have taken a screenshot of this and it should be attached in this post. All other times this has happened I have either been sleeping and I would wake up to see it on, or I would come home to see that it's on.

I am unsure of what to do or try next, so hopefully someone will be able to help me out!

Thanks in advance!!
Lana:
Asus Maximus VI Formula | Intel Core i7 4770K | Corsair H100i
ASUS GTX 780 DCII | Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866 Mhz | Corsair Air 540
Samsung 840 Pro | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair AX760
26 REPLIES 26

Krab19
Level 7
Bump.

This is still occurring. I have just updated the BIOS to version 0804, I will see if there is any changes
Lana:

Nodens
Level 16
Try disabling Wake On events from the UEFI directly.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Krab19
Level 7
Thanks for your reply! 'Power on by PCIE/PCI' and 'Power on by RTC' are both disabled within the UEFI.

Somewhat of a good sign, after updating the BIOS this hadn't occurred from approximately 2AM - 1PM, at which point i physically turned it on.
Lana:

try UEFI-advanced-APM-ErP Ready- Enable (S4+S5) only help me

skarpuk wrote:
try UEFI-advanced-APM-ErP Ready- Enable (S4+S5) only help me

I will try this and see what happens.

Unfortunately the BIOS update did not solve the issue.
Lana:

true bios update even cause more problem for me now when pc goes sleep stuck no wake up I must reboot 😞

Krab19
Level 7
Looks like enabling that option within the BIOS did not do anything for it waking up from sleep by itself. After running "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed", it looks like it is my keyboard and mouse. I tired moving them from the usb 2.0 ports to the usb 3.0 ports hoping that it would make a difference but unfortunately it didn't. I have now disabled my keyboard and mouse from waking my computer from sleep, I'll see how things go from here.

EDIT: Now I am a little bit confused. It has woken from sleep again. Knowing that my keyboard and mouse have been disabled from waking the computer, i used "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" again and got "NONE" so I then used "powercfg -lastwake" and I got the following:

"Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C31&SUBSYS_85341043&REV_05\3&11583659&0&A0
Friendly Name: Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0100 (Microsoft)
Description: USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller
Manufacturer: Generic USB xHCI Host Controller"

The only thing I have plugged into any USB ports are my keyboard and mouse :S Anyone have any clues?
Lana:

Nodens
Level 16
That's the USB3 controller. Do you have any USB3 case headers connected? If they're faulty they could be shorting causing a wake up.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
That's the USB3 controller. Do you have any USB3 case headers connected? If they're faulty they could be shorting causing a wake up.

I just tried this today. I ran some tests where I put it to sleep either with or without the USB3 case headers plugged in to see if it made a difference. At first it looked promising but the it started waking up again. Using "powercfg -lastwake" no longer shows what has woken it up.

This is becoming quite the tough one 😛

Thanks to everyone who has helped thus far!!
Lana: