cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74 Touchpad issues

Retired
Not applicable
Just bought a g74s and i'm having trouble with the touchpad. the first couple of hours it was fine but then suddenly it became unresponsive and running around randomly across the screen. pretty annoying! is this a known bug and is there some kind of a solution?
100 REPLIES 100

xeromist
The first thing that I would do is try reinstalling the ATK package from the ASUS website for the g74. Uninstall it first if you can. If it does not get fixed with software then I would take it to the store, show them, and ask for an exchange.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I started seeing the same issue a few days after purchasing my G74S - very dissappointing.

I've tried reinstalling the ATK and touchpad drivers but it did not help. The curor still jumps about randomnly when I move it.

Retired
Not applicable
I have changed absolutely nothing, I have not even rebooted since my post yesterday (maybe just set my computer to sleep over the night) and my touchpad is working again, no skips/jumping. Very strange but I expect the problem will reappear in the future. 😞

Retired
Not applicable
I was very frustrated with the G74 touchpad. I thought that I'd bought a very nice laptop with a keyboard/mouse that was totally screwed up. The mouse would jump all over the place, etc. What I found out, however, is that the touchpad driver was screwed up and therefore I could not properly configure the touchpad. My G74 uses the Sentinel driver. To see if that is your problem, go to Control Panel, Mouse, Finger Sensing Pad and then Configure. If the Configure doesn't open (as mine would not), then you need to uninstall and reinstall the latest Sentinel driver until the Configure button does open. Once you're into the Configuration, go to Enable/Disable Touchpad and choose to Disable Touchpad while Typing. Additionally, expand the + to the left of Typing Detection and change the Reactivation Time to something like 1.5 seconds. This tells the touchpad to stay disabled until you've stopped typing for 1.5 seconds. Choose a longer/shorter time depending upon what you want. I personally also went to On Pad Functions and also disabled On Pad Click - but I may re-enable it later. Then, of course, click Ok

This has solved my problem with the sporadic, frustrating and disappointing Touchpad issues and I hope that it will resolve yours as well.

Retired
Not applicable
i've got the same problem, less then a couple of days after i got the laptop.... i,ll try with the configuration of sentinel...

I too had the same touchpad issues. My touchpad worked great for just one week (long enough to have fully configured everything I use) then suddenly the pointer started jumping around. It seemed as though the pointed was mocking me because it responded with my finger, but it went around the screen randomly, sometimes in the oposite direction. I was furious!!! In the heat of frustation and after cursing Asus and yelling at my wife, I finally calmed down enough to find this thread. I thought I was doomed to send my machine back for replacment, but was happy to find how easy the driver reinstall really was. Navigate to the a replacment touchpad driver.

Thanks!

wildnut wrote:
I was very frustrated with the G74 touchpad. I thought that I'd bought a very nice laptop with a keyboard/mouse that was totally screwed up. The mouse would jump all over the place, etc. What I found out, however, is that the touchpad driver was screwed up and therefore I could not properly configure the touchpad. My G74 uses the Sentinel driver. To see if that is your problem, go to Control Panel, Mouse, Finger Sensing Pad and then Configure. If the Configure doesn't open (as mine would not), then you need to uninstall and reinstall the latest Sentinel driver until the Configure button does open. Once you're into the Configuration, go to Enable/Disable Touchpad and choose to Disable Touchpad while Typing. Additionally, expand the + to the left of Typing Detection and change the Reactivation Time to something like 1.5 seconds. This tells the touchpad to stay disabled until you've stopped typing for 1.5 seconds. Choose a longer/shorter time depending upon what you want. I personally also went to On Pad Functions and also disabled On Pad Click - but I may re-enable it later. Then, of course, click Ok

This has solved my problem with the sporadic, frustrating and disappointing Touchpad issues and I hope that it will resolve yours as well.

Retired
Not applicable
I found out the problem is coming from having Any Usb mouse attached while trying to use the trackpad. Somehow the settings of the USB mouse interfere with touchpad. I also noticed the touchpad works perfect after completely disconnecting the mouse and then shutting down the computer. Hope this helps.

Xraided01 wrote:
I found out the problem is coming from having Any Usb mouse attached while trying to use the trackpad. Somehow the settings of the USB mouse interfere with touchpad. I also noticed the touchpad works perfect after completely disconnecting the mouse and then shutting down the computer. Hope this helps.

i have never attached a mouse to my G73SW and i HAVE the touchpad bug 100%.. i don't touch mouses.. it´s so 1990 (LOL)
Im Peter, a G73SW user from sweden:)

Xraided01 wrote:

No, that's not the problem most of us are talking about. There's no external mouse involved.

skullbussa wrote:
Frankly, I wish Asus would just pony up and buy whatever trackpads Apple puts in their Macbooks. The one on my MacBook Pro is just absolutely amazing. I would pay $100 more for a trackpad that doesn't constantly skip around when I pause when writing a sentence. And yes, I have all the proper drivers, clean install, etc.

It's simply a bad trackpad that is both too sensitive and not sensitive enough - it's impossible to categorize. Everything else about the G74 I just love to death, but this alone is making me contemplate returning it to the store for a refund.

I'm not convinced it's just a bad touchpad model. It's the implementation in certain machines. If the touchpad in the MacBook was not implemented properly, it would do the same thing. They're all capacitive touchpads, making them all vulnerable to this.

Keep in mind that the problem in Asus machines isn't limited to one specific touchpad. It's been at least two Synaptics models, and at least one Sentelic model. I find myself wondering if completely separate design teams develop the different Asus laptop series, and the G-series designers just don't have a grip on proper capacitive TP implementation. My N-series looks completely different inside, and the TP implementation is quite different from the G74's. Its performance has been rock-solid for nearly a year, while two G74s have had this issue out-of-the-box.