cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth 990fx R2 and 100% RPM H60

Retired
Not applicable
Greetings.

System specs: 8320 / Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 / Corsair H60 cooler (pump 3pins, FAN 4pins). Temps are ok (20C on the package, 40C on the CPU)

H60's fan stays at 100% RPM all the time (~2000RPM) and is not controlled by CPU temperatures. How can I fix that? It's making a lot of noise and there is no need for so much cooling.

Got Cool'n'Quiet, Q-Fan Enabled in BIOS. H60 pump and fan connected at 4pin CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT.
Tried Manual setting in the "Monitor" Tab in the BIOS, didn't make a difference.
I switched the pump and fan to CPU_OPT and CPU_FAN instead of the other way around, didn't make a difference.
I fiddled with thermal monitor a bit, didn't make a difference.

What can I do to let the FAN RPM's be controlled by CPU temps? Can/should I use the Chasis Header to adjust the RPMs based on CPU temps?

Thanks a lot.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forum, Volrath.

I'd connect the pump cable to the CPU_OPT header. Afterwards I'd connect the fan cable to the CPU_FAN header. Then you can configure the fans accordingly in the BIOS. Make sure you save your settings before exiting the BIOS.

Retired
Not applicable
I've tried that - didn't work I'm afraid.

Chino
Level 15

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the help!

Did another configuration. I left the 3pin pump at the CPU_FAN and put the 4pin FAN at the CHA_FAN3. Fan went down to 1500rpm but still not increasing/decreasing. I've enabled the Q-Fan setting in the BIOS for that fan at that time also. So it's not the fan's problem.

What kind of screenshot do you require? Here's the list of all that I've tested thus far:

Cool'n'Quiet ENABLED/DISABLED
QFAN CPU Enabled/Disabled/Manual
QFAN 1~3 Enabled/Disabled/Manual

Pump at CPU_OPT / Fan at CPU_FAN (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)
Pump at CPU_FAN / Fan at CPU_OPT (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)
Pump at CHA_FAN3 / Fan at CPU_FAN (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)
Pump at CPU_FAN / Fan at CPU_FAN (~1500rpm, not changing, no option to change at Thermal Radar)

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the help!

Did another configuration. I left the 3pin pump at the CPU_FAN and put the 4pin FAN at the CHA_FAN3. Fan went down to 1500rpm but still not increasing/decreasing. I've enabled the Q-Fan setting in the BIOS for that fan at that time also. So it's not the fan's problem.

What kind of screenshot do you require? Here's the list of all that I've tested thus far:

Cool'n'Quiet ENABLED/DISABLED
QFAN CPU Enabled/Disabled/Manual
QFAN 1~3 Enabled/Disabled/Manual

Pump at CPU_OPT / Fan at CPU_FAN (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)
Pump at CPU_FAN / Fan at CPU_OPT (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)
Pump at CHA_FAN3 / Fan at CPU_FAN (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)
Pump at CPU_FAN / Fan at CPU_FAN (~1500rpm, not changing, no option to change at Thermal Radar)

Chino
Level 15
Reverse them. Connect the fan to the CPU_FAN header and change the mode to Manual in the BIOS. Then se your CPU upper and lower temperature as well as the speed of your fans. You can leave the pump on the CHA_FAN3 header because the pump speed cannot be changed anyways. So it'll always run at 100%.

Retired
Not applicable
I did that too. (Pump at CHA_FAN3 / Fan at CPU_FAN (~2000rpm, not changing even at Thermal Radar)).

Changing to manual and fiddling with the values didn't change anything. Tried that with all the configurations.

I might be missing something, a setting on the BIOS that needs to be enabled/disabled...

Chino
Level 15
Post some screenshots of your BIOS. Connect an USB pendrive to your motherboard and press F12 to save them. Upload them here.

HiVizMan
Level 40
When in doubt, simply reset the bios to defaults so that anything you may have changed is put back to factory settings.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.