cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help major fps drops causing display to dim while plugged in

Landrumz
Level 7
hey guys bought my G750JW about 2 weeks ago just downloaded wow on it and logged in and was at 90+ frames on high settings for about a min and then the frames dropped to 25-30 the display dimmed and then a second after that it would go back to normal 90+ frames it keeps doing it every time i play it is making the game unplayable i have no idea what could be causing this please someone help!!!!
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Landrumz.

Are you gaming with your laptop plugged into the wall? And also are you using the High Performance profile as your power plan?

Landrumz
Level 7
yes it is plugged in and on power4gear high performance

Landrumz
Level 7
anyone? have any ideas?

Landrumz
Level 7

Flea0
Level 10
it sounds like it's switching to battery profile mid-game, did you try playing with the battery removed? if a faulty power adapter is the culprit the laptop should shut down instead of relying on the battery.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

I took the battery out and started to play and then all the sudden it shut off so you are correct something is wrong with the power adapter kinda sucks cause it's brand frickin new but purchased new adapter so should be good to go

Flea0
Level 10
why not just send the adapter to asus for a replacement? you shouldn't need to pay for a new, possibly off-brand quality one. By the way I am hoping it is actually the power adapter and not the power circuitry inside the laptop, otherwise that would mean a motherboard replacement at least.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Well thing is I am deployed right now in Okinawa Japan, I contacted asus and they where giving me issues about sending me a new adapter so I bought the exact asus model adapter made sure it wasn't some off brand p.o.s if it is something else not the adapter then I will just ship it to them. It seems to be only happening when I'm playing games.

drillster
Level 7
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having exactly the same problem for the last half a year. Maybe longer. The screen dims and frame rate drops drastically for a second while playing GPU-demanding games. Then it restores back to normal. Then it repeats, sometimes more often, sometimes less. The problem gets worse with time, in that the frame rate drops happen more often than half a year before.

I did confirm that these effects are caused by the laptop switching to the battery mode. If I unplug my AC adapter from the laptop during the same games the dimming and slow-down are identical to when I experience them spontaneously.

My belief is that this problem is mechanical. I have noticed during my unplugging experiments that the AC jack was very warm, almost too warm to touch. I don't know if it warms up because of the current drawn by the GPU or just because the power socket is very close to the GPU fan exhaust. But my guess is that the heat causes material expansion in the socket. Combined with some wear in the contacts this causes brief external power disconnections.

If I'm right then the problem can be mitigated by slightly working the jack in place, or by rotating it to a different position. I will test this and hopefully report my findings in a couple of weeks.