cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible performance when unplugged.

Brotus
Level 7
I use an G750JX laptop model and I have terrible lag when I am trying to run intensive programs such as various games and like. Yet I have no issues when I plug the battery cable into the computer, then it runs smooth like butter which is fine, but I can't keep it plugged all the time, the battery will soon rot if I keep doing it.

So, I uh find some "measures" to counter this issue, one of those is by changing the power plan, to high performance or powergear 4 high performance... that didnt work.

Then I downloaded a program called: Intel extreme tuning utility to see what is going on in my computer. Unplugged the computer has 0.80 ghz processor "power" and one core activated out of four.

Plugged its 3.29 ghz also one core activated out of possible four.

I have two questions:

1. How can I have smooth gaming experience without having to plug in my computer?
2. How do I activate all the four cores in my processor?

I appreciate all the help bros!
7 REPLIES 7

Flea0
Level 10
there are multiple threads already discussing this. The deal is that the laptop gets 4 hours of battery life by downclocking the CPU, which can be avoided using Throttlestop. As for the GPU, you will never have the same performance you get when plugged in because the battery cells cannot supply the peak power the laptop needs for high end gaming. Besides, demanding that much power from the battery would very quickly ruin it.

Basically, gaming laptops aren't meant to be used to play demanding games on battery, but rather to be moved from wall outlet to wall outlet. You can still play simpler games like Fifa, CS and Minecraft on battery, but not Metro Last Light or Crysis 3.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Thanks for the reply, you seem to be knowledgeable about these things and if you dont mind, could you please answer anotger question of mine ? I tried to enable all my cores through msconfig ( I choose 4 out of 8 cores) applied and then restarted my laptop... nothing changed the intel extreme tuning utility still listed ONE core as active, I mean wtf! I really dont know how to proceed right know.

Flea0 wrote:
there are multiple threads already discussing this. The deal is that the laptop gets 4 hours of battery life by downclocking the CPU, which can be avoided using Throttlestop. As for the GPU, you will never have the same performance you get when plugged in because the battery cells cannot supply the peak power the laptop needs for high end gaming. Besides, demanding that much power from the battery would very quickly ruin it.

Basically, gaming laptops aren't meant to be used to play demanding games on battery, but rather to be moved from wall outlet to wall outlet. You can still play simpler games like Fifa, CS and Minecraft on battery, but not Metro Last Light or Crysis 3.

Thanks for the reply, you seem to be knowledgeable about these things and if you dont mind, could you please answer anotger question of mine ? I tried to enable all my cores through msconfig ( I choose 4 out of 8 cores) applied and then restarted my laptop... nothing changed the intel extreme tuning utility still listed ONE core as active, I mean wtf! I really dont know how to proceed right know.

skip2mylou
Level 7
by default power for gear goes into battery saving mode when you unplug the power code,this way battery life is prolonged . if you dont like it you can always change settings under power management

Flea0
Level 10
check out this thread
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Flea0 wrote:
check out this thread

I read all the 11 pages on that thread and I wasnt able find anything about enabling cores on a processor

Flea0
Level 10
did you try going on msconfig, boot tab, advanced options?