cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme Z Boot Error

Drobb1711
Level 7
So i bought a Maximus IV Extreme Z motherboard a while ago with the intention of removing the cpu, cooler, Ram, and graphics card from an alienware x51 i had and build a new system on the asus board. I test built built the system a few days ago to make sure it would work, running a corsair AX 760 psu, Maximus IV Extreme Z mobo, Intel i5 3450 cpu @3.1gHz along with the cooler, an nvidia GTX 660 1.5GB OEM gpu and two 4GB Samsung Ram Dimms for 8GB total RAM.

I hooked up the setup to my monitor and pressed the start button on the board, and first time it booted fine and went straight to the BIOS settings. I was pretty happy that everything was working fine, so i started putting everything in my case. At one point i removed the RAM Dimms from the board so that i could run cables to the optical drive, only mentioning this because its the only thing that i can think of that i did to the board between when it was working fine and when i started getting this boot problem, but i'm pretty sure i put the Dimms back in correctly and didn't damage the slots.

So i hooked everything up and switched on my tower for the first time, and it powered everything up, then after 3-4 seconds switched itself off again. This went on in a cycle until i decided to switch off the computer and take the board back out to see what was happening. I now have the board with the cpu, Ram, gpu and power supply sitting on my desk and every time i power up the board i get a sequence of numbers ending in 56, 10, 19, 20, f2 on the debug led, and usually it resets itself and does the same thing over and over again. Occasionally, after four or five times resetting itself, it will sit on the f2 boot error for a long time, outputting nothing to my monitor, until i decide to switch it off.

To get around this I've tried re-seating the cpu twice, booting with the gpu removed, and booting with multiple combinations of Ram Dimms installed, including one single Dimm in the channel furthest from the cpu, none of which have helped so far. Anyway sorry for the wall of text but I'm pretty much on the verge of RMA'ing the board and any help is much appreciated at this point.
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Drobb1711.

Please locate a long, thin sticker that has a barcode and a bunch of numbers that can be found on your motherboard. What are the last 4 digits that's on the sticker?

Drobb1711
Level 7
Last four digits are 3012, i know that the i5 isn't supported until BIOS version 3203

Chino
Level 15
1. Download the 3203 BIOS from Asus website.
2. Format a USB pendrive to FAT32.
3. Extract the BIOS file and rename the file to M4EZ.ROM.
4. Put the BIOS file on your USB pendrive.
5. Connect the USB pendrive to the ROG Connect USB Port.
6. Press the ROG Connect button for three seconds until the LED begins to blink, then release.
7. Wait until the LED stops blinking.
8. Power on your system.

Any progress?

Drobb1711
Level 7
Board booted and updated the BIOS to version 3603, it reset and boots looking for a hard drive to detect

Drobb1711
Level 7
left it on the boot screen and the debug led now shows d7, no idea what that is

Chino
Level 15
D7 means that you don't have an input device connected to your motherboard. In other words, connect a keyboard to it. lol

Drobb1711
Level 7
Got everything back in my case and the board is working fine, thanks a bunch for the help chino.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Nice work both of you to get this sorted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.