cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact of RAM speed on Haswell platform

Anusha
Level 7
I'm wondering whether to upgrade my RAM to something like 2400 CL10 as my current sticks cannot seem to run faster than 1333 which is sad for 2013. 😄

but if the performance difference isn't worth it, i wouldn't go for it.

does anyone know of such a source? i cannot find any. there were such articles fo SandyBridge though.

i could find this, but not conclusive enough. it's only synthetics.

also, can you recommend me some good sticks? i am looking at 2 x 8GB ones. i guess they would be easier on the memory controller than 4 x 4GB even though the latter might perform marginally better due to better thertiary timings.
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Hi Anusha, Haswell has a stronger Internal Memory Controller than Ivy Bridge. I would go with 2600 - 2800 Mhz. RAM. The G.Skill Trident X kits are one of the best on the market. I have the 3770k (Ivy Bridge) with 8 GB (2x4 sticks) Trident X at 2732 Mhz. 11-14-14-35 1T command rate.

Chino
Level 15
The sweet spot for frequency depends on what kind of tasks you do with your system.

So. What do you use your system for? 😛

Chino wrote:
The sweet spot for frequency depends on what kind of tasks you do with your system.

So. What do you use your system for? 😛

Let's say, almost everything. Gaming, video editing, encoding, programming and I'm thinking about starting 3D rendering stuff (haven't done that in a long time) and also looking to get into some CAD work.

Anusha wrote:
Let's say, almost everything. Gaming, video editing, encoding, programming and I'm thinking about starting 3D rendering stuff (haven't done that in a long time) and also looking to get into some CAD work.

The sweet spot for me would be 2133MHz. But if the price is right, 2400MHz is viable although you will only get a marginal increase in performance.

fbm211
Level 7
+1 on the Gskill Trident X. I have the 2400 2x4 gig kit. 2400. CL 9. 11. 11. 31. 2t.
I'm planning on getting the 2666 CL 10 kit soon.
They make some kits for that platform and I highly recommend them.
Great for benching. If your just gaming you wont notice much difference so go for 2133 if you want to save some coin.
Maximus VII Apex
Intel i7 10700k @ 5GHZ
Custom Water Cooling
Patriot Viper Steel 4400 17-17-17-36-300-2t
GeForce RTX 2080 Hydro Copper
WD Black NVMe 750 500g
Seasonic Focus GX-850
Lian LI O11D XL
Dell S3220DF Monitor
Vanatoo T 0s speaker system
ROG mouse
Audio Technica ATH-AD 2000x headphones
AE-9 Sound Blaster

Anusha
Level 7
Funny thing is, 2133 sticks aren't any cheaper than 2400 CL11 sticks. I can get the ADATA XPG2 2400 CL11 sticks for about $180 (2x8GB) or Vengeance Pro 2400 CL11 for about $185. G.Skill Tridents are a bit more expensive, going into the $220 range but they are CL10. The latter two go with the ROG theme. The ADATA ones don't blend in.

Maybe I should just keep my current sticks. It seems they can work at 1600 XMP after all. So unexciting!

Chino
Level 15
See if you can find the 2400MHz sticks from Team Group. They're CAS 10 just like the TridentX but should be a lot cheaper.

jasonelmore
Level 7
haswell's memory controller is better, but its still junk compared to Ivy Bridge E and Sandy Bridge E. it cant handle more than 8GB without losing tons of overclockability.

jasonelmore wrote:
it cant handle more than 8GB without losing tons of overclockability.

No problem here with 32GB. 🙂