cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery not charging (G53SW)

UnBearAble
Level 7
Hello,

My battery on my G53SW no longer holds a charge. To operate it, it must be plugged in and if I accidentally unplug it, the laptop powers down immediately.
I recently disassembled my G53SW to repaste my GPU. I'm thinking I forgot to plug back in a cable or something. Is there a cable that would cause this issue?
I will disassemble my laptop again to look for a loose cable/connection but in order to save time/searching, could anyone tell me where this cable would be located?

Another possibility for this issue is after I repasted, I ran Furmark for around 3-4 hours (on separate occasions) and it ran HOT (close to 92 C I think). So maybe there was some damage to the battery somehow?
I left for vacation leaving my laptop for around 4 weeks untouched as well.
7 REPLIES 7

Pitcher1
Level 9
i think you shold dismantle again to check.

Pitcher@asus wrote:
i think you shold dismantle again to check.

Thanks, I already planned on it but since I'm not 100% comfortable doing it yet (I've only done it twice so far), I was wondering if anyone knew the locations I should be looking for specifically.

UnBearAble
Level 7
Bumping this thread.

I dismantled my laptop, checked all cables and nothing different. Also, from what I could see, there is no cable that would attach to the battery. The pins that touch the battery are soldered onto the motherboard.

Does anyone know what the possible problem could be?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
UnBearAble wrote:
Bumping this thread.

I dismantled my laptop, checked all cables and nothing different. Also, from what I could see, there is no cable that would attach to the battery. The pins that touch the battery are soldered onto the motherboard.

Does anyone know what the possible problem could be?

Sorry, I don't normally repair notebooks and am not too sure what the problem is, but wanted to run a few things by you to see if they are worth looking into.

1. Not really sure if this is related, but if you look under the keyboard, there should be 2 cables in the top-right corner and you may want to make sure they are connected well although 1 cable (on the left?) should go to a hotkey board which we don't care about. If you remove the top case, you may want to check the connections to the small board too.

2. These ideas may not help much, so feel free to ignore if necessary, but make sure you don't have any loose screws in the unit and try tilting the notebook left, right, upside down, etc. to make sure you don't hear anything moving around.

3. Not sure if it's possible or likely, but make sure all the screws were reinstalled back to the correct location and you don't have any screws in the wrong place that may be too long and touching or shorting out something.

Well, hopefully we can get some better ideas if these don't help.

cl-Albert wrote:
Sorry, I don't normally repair notebooks and am not too sure what the problem is, but wanted to run a few things by you to see if they are worth looking into.

1. Not really sure if this is related, but if you look under the keyboard, there should be 2 cables in the top-right corner and you may want to make sure they are connected well although 1 cable (on the left?) should go to a hotkey board which we don't care about. If you remove the top case, you may want to check the connections to the small board too.

2. These ideas may not help much, so feel free to ignore if necessary, but make sure you don't have any loose screws in the unit and try tilting the notebook left, right, upside down, etc. to make sure you don't hear anything moving around.

3. Not sure if it's possible or likely, but make sure all the screws were reinstalled back to the correct location and you don't have any screws in the wrong place that may be too long and touching or shorting out something.

Well, hopefully we can get some better ideas if these don't help.

Thanks for the response!

I have disassembled my laptop nearly completely, making sure all cables are connected tight and all screws correct. There is also nothing loose within the laptop assembly.
However, I did not disassemble the heatsink for both CPU and GPU as they are both pretty freshly repasted and I did not want to redo it as I may not have enough paste left.
Is it possible I did something wrong on the repaste that would cause this?

UnBearAble
Level 7
Another problem:

After a certain amount of time, maybe 30min-1hour, both CPU and GPU fans start to run fast. Probably ~100% because it sounds exactly like it would if it was under heavy load. The laptop is not hot at all (Furmark puts the GPU at 36C). I came across a thread saying this could be a power issue so I'm assuming the original problem is the reason why this is happening.
Any thoughts?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
You may want to get more opinions, but it shouldn't make a difference for your battery charging issue if you repaste since they shouldn't be related.
Since you mention it, you might want to make sure you did a neat pasting job and there isn't any paste in places where there shouldn't be?

Not sure if thermal paste will be conductive nowadays, but probably a good idea to clean it up if you see any in the wrong places.

Thinking something else must have happened when you disassembled the unit for the pasting job last time to cause the battery charge issue, so hoping you can spot something that doesn't look right and solve it (you've probably looked it over a few times already though, but just my opinion).

Might be nice if there was a way to check the battery though just in case it decided to go bad at the same time??