cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new ssd choice?

balundab
Level 7
hi all i got a question about my g750jw i bought last week from best buy. The model i got from them came with a 1 tb 5200 rpm hard drive and i knew when i got it i would be getting an ssd to give it a little kick, i bought 2 extra 8 gig ram chips to kick up the ram to 24gigs when i purchased it and now i just need the new ssd. ive been a long time desktop pc gamer, i mean since like 1995 lol but ive yet to get into any ssd's so my question i guess is twofold 1) how big of an improvement is the ssd over the already slowish 5200 rpm sata, that gives a 5.9 score on windows performance test, as ive never seen one in action before (i just have 3 7200 rpm sata's in my desktop rig)? 2) what would u all reccommend as a new primary operating system ssd, since i see storage capacity ones from 60gb to 500gb and dont know if u all use them as the primary for os only or os + programs? im going to poor over some literature tonight to get a basic understanding of the ssd's and there function but i thought i should just make a little post asking you all since it would be on a 750 and guage your oppinions. thanks in advance and sorry for the spelling or sentence structure, i read at a college lvl but do grammar and spelling like a 6 year old autistic kid. 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

CamainDK
Level 7
1. Big!!
The boot time when going from a HDD to a SSD is huge, the apps/games starts faster etc.
I used the FF XIV Arr benchmark to measure the change from HDD to SSD on my own system and it was overwhelming.
You wont regret it a single bit..

2. I for myself decided that a mastervol. of 120 Gb was enough, the rest of my 256 Samsung 840 Pro is just for anything else than the OS, like games etc.
I then used the SHHD that my machine was build as secondary drive for documents, pictures etc..
The SHHD is faster than any of my old HDD, but cant compeed with a true SSD..

Regards

Jesper
My opinions are my own, I do not work for Asus or any other manufacturer of computers or computer parts. I do not speak on behalf of anybody, but myself.
//Blessed are the cheesemakers

cool thx for the reply, ya i have seen youtube videos when ssd's came out showing win 7 startup side x side with a 7200 rpm hdd and it was like instant, lol. i mean to be totally honest im impressed with how fast win 8 loads on my g750. i have a beast of a desktop with win7 pro game edition and it doesnt load nearly as quick. but ya i was looking a the 256 variants because i figure u got the os(win8x64 which is 20gb+a lil with updates) and then 60gb's worth of my regular programs etc. so a 120gb would be plenty but imo ima do the same as u and just get a big one and use it for everything i immediatley do then transfer files to the hdd that came with it as i need. as i understand the kicker is ssd's have no moving parts so they dont really break mechanically that is, i could be wrong lol, but thats how it achieves such instant-ness is there is nothing to spool up like a hdd it just saves electrical states of energy that can be called upon like the os. iono i could be wrong ima go read more about it lol, **** facinates me 🙂 cheers for the help tho

CamainDK
Level 7
You got it right.
No moving parts, no vibrations, no noise, less powerconsumption.
Besides the price still being a bit high, its a win-win.

Regards

Jesper
My opinions are my own, I do not work for Asus or any other manufacturer of computers or computer parts. I do not speak on behalf of anybody, but myself.
//Blessed are the cheesemakers

SSD has huge advantage over hdd. For storage concerns it depends on how much you need and what is your budget. If you wanted to, you could get 2x 960GB ssd and be done with it. But for cost concerns, for most people it would be best to get 2x128gb or 2x256gb ssds. (otherwise you would get either a 128gb or 256gb for the stuff you mainly use, and w.e hdd for songs/music/etc on internal hdd, or external would be better while still having your raid configuration in the laptop)