cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW External monitor

guitar1
Level 7
Hi, I'm a new owner of the g46 and new to gaming PCs in general. I want to output my video to my HDTV via HDMI, but I'm confused because between Windows 8, the Intel HD control panel, and the Nvidia panel, it seems like there's 3 separate places to do that, and I'm not sure how to. Upon connecting the monitor, I can tell from those menus that the computer seems to recognize it, but attempting to either switch the main display or clone the display produces no picture on the external monitor, and choosing to extend the desktop has no effect. Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
You should be able to switch displays any of those ways, but did you check your HDTV video-in setting to make sure it is set for the HDMI input from your notebook?

If you have another system to connect to the HDTV by HDMI, you may want to try it too and confirm everything is correct on the HDTV side.

Good luck!

Yes, my TV is set to the correct input and it works with other devices inputting via HDMI to that port.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hmm...it normally should be pretty straightforward, so unfortunately, don't have a lot of great ideas left.

If it helps at all, a screenshot from my G46VW running Win8 with external monitor connected through HDMI is below.
My system is running the 210 bios with the original nVidia vga driver 9.18.13.546 (which isn't posted on the ASUS G46VW download site although the posted version should work okay too?) that came with the system and the Intel vga driver 9.17.10.2828.

Make sure the HDMI cable is firmly plugged into the notebook of course, but I couldn't get the external HDMI output to appear in the bios, so we may need to make sure everything is normal in Win8 and there aren't any problems with the vga driver versions.
Once Win8 booted, the external display was automatically duplicated for my unit and I used the Win8 'devices' charm to extend the display although other ways should work too.

Well, hopefully others have better ideas if it's still not working.