cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"1st and 2nd Generation" Asus GTX 780 DCII-OC?

Fred_Fuchs
Level 7
In August the supply of this variant of the 780 dried up and it was even listed as discontinued at places like Newegg while they were restocking. It is available now.

My question is: would it be smarter to go with with one of these cards that were floating around before all the major retailers were restocked or to go with one that is in stock now and presumably made recently.

There are other companies than have actually changed the memory to a cheaper option in their cards between production runs on their 780.

I could do either of these options for the same price.

Thanks 😄
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
The first batch was using Samsung chips, which according to various users, overclock pretty well. If you're not a performance seeking kind of guy who overclocks his GPU to the max, then I guess any GTX 780 will do.

Chino wrote:
The first batch was using Samsung chips, which according to various users, overclock pretty well. If you're not a performance seeking kind of guy who overclocks his GPU to the max, then I guess any GTX 780 will do.

Hey thank you so much for the quick response!

I have heard that this summer in general, initial runs used Samsung memory and runs thereafter use something else like Elpida.

Chino
Level 15
Happens quite a lot in the electronic world. Manufacturers use what is available at the time they make their products.

skellattarr
Level 10
i hope i got the samsung chips on my card. i don't know if i did and i don't want to take off the cooler to find out but i bought mine at the beginning of august.
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

chomuco
Level 7
CHIP SAMSUNG

my dcii oc