Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Planning new rig; having a few questions

Hey guys,

I'm currently planning my new rig which I will build around the start of next year, and I have a few things I'm not sure which route to go, as of now.

Budget: Doesn't really matter as long as the parts remain 'somewhat' reasonable

Main uses of intended build (in order of priority): Compiling linux and android kernels as well as some other code, virtualization of 3+ systems, video editing, gaming and some CAD, but not too serious.

Parts required: Everything

Monitor resolution: 7680x1440 (3x 1440p)

Storage requirements: ~500GB of SSD storage for OS, Software, VM's, Games and Projects (preferably RAID-0), 4TB HDD storage (preferably in RAID-1) for data and finished projects. Backups will go to my storage server (16TB+ storage :P)

Will you be overclocking: Yup.

Motherboard requirements: SLI/CFX, good O/C performance, long term stability

Extra information about desired system: I'm planning a custom water loop

I'm going to make a quick list of what parts I'm currently considering:

Computer:
    Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
    PSU: Corsair Platinum A1200i
    MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K
    RAM: G.Skill RipJawsZ 8x 4GB Kit, DDR3-2133, CL9-11-10-28, 1.65V (F3-17000CL9Q2-32GBZH)
    or G.Skill TridentX 4x 8GB Kit, DDR3-2666, CL12-13-13-35, 1.65V (F3-2666C12Q-32GTXD)
    GPU: 3x ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5
    or 3x ASUS GTXTITAN-6GD5
    or 3x ASUS GTX 780Ti 3GB
    or 3x ASUS GTX 780Ti 6GB (speculated)
    SSD: 2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB (RAID-0)
    HDD: 2x WesternDigital WD Black 4TB (RAID-1)
    BDR: ASUS BW-16D1HT

Peripherals:
    Monitors: 3x Dell UltraSharp U2713HM (1440p) // own one already, would have gone with the ASUS ones otherwise^^
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013
    Keyboard: QPAD MK-85 Pro Gaming MX-Brown
    Sound: Tascam US-144 MK2 USB Audio Interface
    Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro 250 Ohm // have these and love them
    Microphone: The t.bone SC 600

Watercooling:

Radiators:
    1x 480mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 TOP
    1x 480mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 BOTTOM FRONT
    1x 240mm Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 BOTTOM BACK

Water blocks:
    1x EKWB EK-Supremacy - Acetal + Nickel CSQ
    3x EKWB EK-FC780 GTX DCII - Acetal + Nickel (or equivalent)
    2x EKWB EK-RAM Monarch Module - black (or more, depending on Kit)
    2x EKWB EK-RAM Monarch X4 - Acetal+Nickel CSQ
    1x EKWB EK-FB KIT RE4 - Acetal+Nickel CSQ (equivalent for RIVBE)

Pump:
    1x Aquacomputer Aquastream XT USB 12V - Ultra

Reservoir:
    1x Aquacomputer aqualis XT 150ml

Fans:
    14x Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-3 (radiatoir and case fans)

Fan-Controller:
    1x Aquacomputer aquaero 6 PRO

I'm going to W/C the RAM, but just for looks really, I don't expect any kind of performance gain (except maybe longevity ). The color scheme of this build will be black/white;silver/red, using black as a base, adding white sleeved power cables and fans and topping out with red tubing (hopefully gonna look like blood veins ;P).

These are the questions that are bugging me at the moment:

1. Is the PSU listed above sufficient even for kick-ass OC with triple graphics? If not, what would you suggest?
    2. Which RAM Kit would you choose and for what reason? My reasoning is "buy the 2133 Kit, hope your IMC can handle that, and leave it there" or "buy the 2666 Kit and squeeze every last bit out of your IMC (and still hope it will actually be able to handle at least 2133^^)
    3. For my monitor setup, which graphics option should I choose? Do I absolutely need 6GB of VRAM in order to game at that resolution? Or is 3GB sufficient?
    4. Opinions about the chosen peripherals? Suggestions? Comments?
    5. What do you guys think about the radiator setup? Would you leave it like that or rather go 2x 420mm rads + 1x 280mm? What about the pump? Is one enough for such a massive loop? Other general thoughts around the loop?
    6. Do you see any incompatibility in the setup posted above? Or any misconception on my part? Or would you make any changes? If yes, what would they be?

I have some experience with building and OCing myself and have worked in a computer store for the past 4 years now, but considering I'm about to pump about six to eight grand into this build I want to absolutely make sure I'm buying the "right" parts

I'm looking forward to your replies and thanks in advance for helping me out!

~vladnik
    Last edited by vladnik; 11-06-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: HUEG update ;)

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Welcome to the ROG forums, vladnik.

1. The 1200W unit that you chosen will suffice for your powerhouse. You could even add another GTX 780 down the road and not worry about not having enough juice for it. Now if your plan is to add a fourth GTS 780 then, yes, you should go for a 1400W-1500W unit.

2. I see no incompatibility issues with your setup. But is it powerful enough to game on 7680x1440? Only you can answer this one, mate. How important is eye candy for you? What graphic setting is acceptable for you? Medium, High, Very High or Ultra?

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

You have a good system there, and the Corsiar 1200i PSU is a very good unit indeed.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    You have a good system there, and the Corsiar 1200i PSU is a very good unit indeed.
    Read the reviews on the 1200AXi vs the old 12000AX on Hardocp.
    The 1200AXii is adequate, but the old 1200AX is available still and a better PS than the new one.
    Also Cheaper.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Quote Originally Posted by jberkpc View Post
    Read the reviews on the 1200AXi vs the old 12000AX on Hardocp.
    The 1200AXii is adequate, but the old 1200AX is available still and a better PS than the new one.
    Also Cheaper.
    Well, if price and quality is the case here, the SeaSonic X-1250 is on par with the AX1200 and costs like $36 less.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar

For sure the seasonic is a class leader Chino but folks like the 1200i for the monitoring features.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by HiVizMan View Post
    For sure the seasonic is a class leader Chino but folks like the 1200i for the monitoring features.
    Hey HiVizMan,

the way I understand it, in order to take advantage of the monitoring features of the 1200i a corsair link module is required. As I'm not going to use one, I would not benefit of the monitoring...

BTW, I made a HUGE update to the first post, would appreciate if you could give it a read

~vladnik
    Last edited by vladnik; 11-07-2013 at 12:26 AM.

ROG Member Array

Call me silly names, and I am learning by asking, but why the two SSDs in RAID-0? I don't know details of how you plan to purchase or anything, but given everything I've found on RAID-0 seems conflicted on it being any real improvement for anything, wouldn't it be cheaper to just get one 500gb?

Expand my technical horizons as I plan my upgrades, please. Or at least point me to less conflicted waters.
    (Only asking here because I noticed it in your setup and presume you have more knowledge than I do about it.)

Nice setup, btw.
    I'm not competing with anyone else. I am only striving to be better than the person I was yesterday.

RAID-0 on SSDs provides you with better sequential read/write speeds, in the case of the 840 Pros 256GB about 900 read and ~950 write if I remeber correctly. This is beneficial for fast file operations. I can't remeber the impact on random IOPS, have to dig out the review I read about that. The acces times get a bit worse actually, but not by a significant margin.
    I chose to use RAID-0 instead of asingle drive because of the sequential transfer times. I need/like them for my projects to load faster. If you only want fast and vast storage, I would recommend a single big SSD, both access time wise as well as reliabillity wise. (remember: if one drive in RAID-0 fails, your whole array is lost!)

EDIT:
    Looked up the random performance. At a queue depth of 1, the array has about the same performance as a single drive, slightly worse, actually. At Q64, the performace of the array is about double that of a single drive. In a normal setup, one experiences something between Q1 and Q8. Therefore, a single drive would perform slightly better compared to an array.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...rk,3485-4.html
    Last edited by vladnik; 11-08-2013 at 06:11 PM.

ROG Member Array

Ah, thank you very much for the info and link, kind sir.
    I'm not competing with anyone else. I am only striving to be better than the person I was yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast