Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array Rockford's Avatar

Making a board that fits all is a utopia..

Thinking about microsoft and windows..

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the info. I do have some components for a new build including 2 Sapphire 7990's and an Adaptec 71605 and have been trying to decide on what board to use and was thinking RIVE but then found some articles about this board.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by WhitePaw View Post
    Making a board that fits all is a utopia..

Thinking about microsoft and windows..
    Yep. Which is why I said I am probably way in the minority for what I am looking for.
    Last edited by DougG; 09-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Hatross's Avatar

they're saving that for Haswell-E, Q3 2014... which we should be seeing the X99 boards a few months earlier for the hype factor prior to launch.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...-cores-in-2014

-1 dimm per channel = logic

A single Haswell-E processor would 2 x16 and 3 x8 Gen 3 PCI-e support with 40 lanes and would be directly connected to the DDR4 memory controller and the Wellsburg X99 chipset
    http://wccftech.com/idf13-intel-demo...d-motherboard/

"native" PCIe 3.0 goes "Official" I am kind of stumped by that one... I want Skylake damit! a real architecture change.

"we don't want aesthetics or excess, we want refinement"
    Last edited by Hatross; 09-21-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    ...wide open

ROG Member Array

agree, overall the forthcoming Intel Haswell-E cpu w/X99 chipset is more/less a redo of existing Ivy Bridge-E cpu w/X79 features.
    In comparison (details aside) looks like there isn't a 'huge' difference except +2 cores +5mb cache (probably extreme chips only), native ddr4 sdram support and an igpu - well, i guess all that's something.. mobile users should be happy.
    Last edited by xlcr1; 09-21-2013 at 11:21 PM.

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array Rockford's Avatar

i think>

if it came a cpu with 20 cores, people still would want a 24 cores...

Look around, people install 32/64 gb memory, but are using around 2-4 gb in their everyday tasks..

Often its more important to have, then to actually need

Its like DSLR's, some people wont buy the present model, because the next model can be "better", and they hold., and they are never satisfied, spending time looking for HW errors, instead of being out on the field using it for what it was meant.....
    Last edited by Rockford; 09-21-2013 at 11:27 PM.

ROG Member Array

What exactly does the "Ivy Bridge-E optimized design" entail on the Black Edition? What on the board makes it more suited for Ivy-E than the current RIVE and will it make any difference on air/water or just extreme cooling?

ROG Member Array

I know that this is going to be a silly question but ... I am concerned about this motherboard and the NOCTUA NH-D14 cooler. Is there enough room for that cooler in this motherboard ?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by xlcr1 View Post
    agree, overall the forthcoming Intel Haswell-E cpu w/X99 chipset is more/less a redo of existing Ivy Bridge-E cpu w/X79 features.
    In comparison (details aside) looks like there isn't a 'huge' difference except +2 cores +5mb cache (probably extreme chips only), native ddr4 sdram support and an igpu - well, i guess all that's something.. mobile users should be happy.
    no PLX for a dual card sli is the main factor, DDR4 will be immature and slow in its abilities but will still outpace the fastest DDR3 kits we have now most likely.

nVidia is probably holding out till x99 to release the successor to the Titan...? the gtx780 will hang sure, but it's no successor in the $1000+ category.

no iGPU's planned for any -E series upto Cannonlake as per my readings. Can't find much info of future architecture after that.
    ...wide open

Quote Originally Posted by Twohothardware View Post
    What exactly does the "Ivy Bridge-E optimized design" entail on the Black Edition? What on the board makes it more suited for Ivy-E than the current RIVE and will it make any difference on air/water or just extreme cooling?
    beyond stating it... that aspect is still open to debate. It has the Digi+III VRM design which their current Haswell boards have on it now. How that optimizes vcore hungry Ivy Bridge-E is yet to be seen.

what is more than likely the case here is a bios which will not match the RIVE but should... it's about the only way to get away with the statement still being on an unchanged x79.

If there is no even more so optimized bios for the current x79's then about a day after the black is released bios tweakers will have a spin-off of the Black's bios for the current models
    ...wide open

Page 12 of 105 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast