cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to build a gaming rig using Maximus V extreme and Gtx 660

tanujking
Level 7
Hi, everyone.

i recently decided to build a gaming rig using Maxi,us V extreme board , but i am confused about what additional components are needed to build it. my only choice is using 2 nvidia gtx 660 graphics card.

i would like advice on how to build the gaming PC. also i would like to know what other necessary rog parts are needed to build it.

1. My PSU is Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200 W.
2. my Graphic Cards are 2 Nvidia GTX 660.
3. Processor-Intel i7-3770K

how much Ram is essential to play extreme games.
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well that is a very sound foundation for an excellent gaming rig. Good PSU with plenty of power and good amperage on 12v rail at the heart and a great CPU and board and GPUs.

RAM? Really 8GB would be enough for gaming but maybe go for 16GB in case you want to do photo work or something similar as well and have a cushion for future posibilities. Just buy one kit of whatever size you choose. Mixing kits even of same make and model is never a good idea. Frequency....really anything over 1600 or 1866 is not going to show improvements in gaming but for bench marks etc. it will. If you want fast RAM go for it...on that platform you can go pretty high 2400-2666 pretty easily...the G.Skill Trident X kits are great on those CPUs and MBs.

LukeeVassallo
Level 7
8Gb of ram is enough for gaming, the ripjaws/dominator platinum are both very good kits. Have got got an hdd/ssd ? and what case & cooling system do you have ??
| Maximus V Formula | i7-3770k | 16Gb Dominator Platinum | GTX 780 | Force 240Gb | 2TB Caviar Green | Obsidian 650D | AX850 | H100 | 24" LED VS247H |

1. the HDD is of 1 TB
2. case is of cooler Master Mid Tower enforcer cabinet.

LukeeVassallo
Level 7
Although it's not compulsory, I would suggest and ssd, since that motherboard supports sata III, you're pc performance will be greatly improved. Other than that with 2 660 in sli and 8-16gb of ram you'll play many game with high settings even maybe ultra.
| Maximus V Formula | i7-3770k | 16Gb Dominator Platinum | GTX 780 | Force 240Gb | 2TB Caviar Green | Obsidian 650D | AX850 | H100 | 24" LED VS247H |

HiVizMan
Level 40
Get your ram now, as the price is going to rocket in the next month. I would say 8GB is the bare minimum, 16GB is perfect for all games and is quite future-proof capacity wise.

A SSD for your OS and applications is the single biggest upgrade anyone can make. More so than a new CPU even. Good prices for large capacity at the minute in the UK.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.