cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G74SX Bluetooth?

City_Builder
Level 7
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if my Asus G74 sx has Bluetooth in it.

I know that my newer G4 six does have Bluetooth because when I go down to the system tray it shows the little Bluetooth icon however I've had to reformat the bigger laptop and did not end up installing all of the original software and drivers that were on this laptop when I bought it new because I felt like there was a lot of stuff on there that I just don't need.

But now I need to use voice recognition software due to my right hand being about 80% paralyzed.

So I'm running Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 premium edition but I'm really dissatisfied with the headset that comes with it, and although I'm very satisfied with my creative wireless USB rage headset it's so large and heavy that I just can't wear it for 6 to 8 hours a day so I'm thinking about getting some kind of a Bluetooth headset.

So here come the questions:

1) does my Asus G74sx have a Bluetooth device in it?
2) if it does have a Bluetooth device in it where can I find the Bluetooth driver for windows 8?
3) and does anyone have any suggestions for a reasonably priced Bluetooth earpiece/microphone? I'm thinking probably more something like a monaural Bluetooth headset and Mike combination something small and light but that does well with voice recognition software but small and light so that I can wear it for six or 12 hours a day.

I was at my local Staples office store today looking at Bluetooth headsets there the typical device that you see people wearing when they're on their phone and I'm not sure if it's the same device that can just be paired up with the Bluetooth inside of the laptop (assuming that there is a Bluetooth device inside of this laptop) or if I need a special Bluetooth headset/microphone to work specifically with a PC

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5

getjohnalive
Level 7
some G74SX does not come with Bluetooth installed. it's optional. to find out if your G74SX comes with Bluetooth installed. go to Device Manager. if you see Bluetooth in device manager. then you should install the latest Bluetooth driver for Windows 8 from here: http://www.asus.com/supportonly/Bluetooth/#support_Download_36

you should go to your local electronic store and see if they have Bluetooth Headset with microphone. don't know the price. but I hope you find one there for little cheaper.

Pitcher1
Level 9
that is base on when you bough laptop, are you bough bluetooth and wlan comb care or just wlan.

City_Builder
Level 7
It's one of the Best Buy models and while I would normally assume that means that it does not have the Bluetooth, however, my newer G46 also from Best Buy does indeed have Bluetooth.

But unfortunately I don't see anything listed for Bluetooth in the device manager of the G74 and yet I would have sworn that prior to having to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows a on this laptop I could've sworn that there was a Bluetooth symbol down the system tray but I guess I'm just mistaken because there's nothing in the device manager listed for Bluetooth.

Thanks,

OK, I think your G74SX does not have Bluetooth if there is no Bluetooth listed in device manager. you should buy an external USB Bluetooth is you don't see any Bluetooth in your G74SX....

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
City Builder wrote:
It's one of the Best Buy models and while I would normally assume that means that it does not have the Bluetooth, however, my newer G46 also from Best Buy does indeed have Bluetooth.

But unfortunately I don't see anything listed for Bluetooth in the device manager of the G74 and yet I would have sworn that prior to having to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows a on this laptop I could've sworn that there was a Bluetooth symbol down the system tray but I guess I'm just mistaken because there's nothing in the device manager listed for Bluetooth.

Thanks,

More ideas below if you're interested.

1. Check the full G74Sx-xxxxxx model name under your notebook next to the serial number and try to find the specs on the internet for the bluetooth.

2. While you're checking under the notebook, look for the wireless and bluetooth FCC labels which you normally see for U.S. models. Don't forget to check in the battery bay if necessary for the labels, but if you see a bluetooth FCC label, sounds like you should have it and check item #3 below.

3. In Windows, use Fn+F2 to turn on and off the wireless to see if there is also an option to enable/disable the bluetooth at the same time.
Not sure if your G74Sx model does this, but for some older models the bluetooth will actually disappear from device manager when it's disabled through F2+F2, so try toggling the wireless on and off with Fn+F2 to check if there are any options for the bluetooth that appear.