cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old RAM

Liger
Level 7
Hi guys, would it be worthwhile me putting my old 4GB DDR3 1066mhz into my new G750? I was planning on sticking it on eBay but postage would probably cost more than what I'd get for the sticks. Obviously I know about the voltages and stuff but I wasn't sure if it being a slower speed would mean it was less powerful.

I'll open it tomorrow to check for voltage as I'm not with it at the moment. The old laptop was Acer 8935G.

Thanks,
H
Asus Rog G750JW
Screen: 1920x1080 17'3 inch
CPU: i7 4700HQ
GPU: 2GB GTX 765M
RAM: 16GB 2133MHz
SDD: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB
HDD: 2TB 5400RPM
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
In general: The G750 has more than is actually needed for gaming already so I wouldn't worry about adding more.

Specifically: I'm not sure which 750 you have but I think among all factory memory configurations you would either be removing sticks to put slower ones in or adding only one 2GB stick of slower memory. Either way you slow the machine down.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

B1g_Dav3
Level 7
Haswell needs 1.35V RAM, your old laptop likely has 1.5V RAM, so don't do it or you'll have Haswell toast.
ASUS ROG G750
Previous:
ASUS N55SF

New to this ere special gaming computer stuff, but trying to catch up 😛

Liger
Level 7
If my findings on Google are correct it should be 1.35v, I've still not been home yet. My setup is 8GB and according to the Crucial scanning system I have 2x4GB sticks. When I changed my HDD for my SSD the two easy to get to RAM slots were empty so I'd be adding 2x2GB, making it 12GB.

Let me know if this makes any difference to the above response, thanks again for replying guys.
Asus Rog G750JW

xeromist
Interesting. I thought it should be 12GB (3x4GB) but if you have two empty slots then that sounds right. Honestly 8GB should still be plenty for gaming. My desktop gaming machine still only has 8GB and I don't find myself wanting for more. Unless you're actually running out of memory it doesn't seem worth it to slow the memory controller down for 4 more GB. Memory isn't that expensive so if you want more just buy 2 more matching sticks.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Interesting. I thought it should be 12GB (3x4GB) but if you have two empty slots then that sounds right. Honestly 8GB should still be plenty for gaming. My desktop gaming machine still only has 8GB and I don't find myself wanting for more. Unless you're actually running out of memory it doesn't seem worth it to slow the memory controller down for 4 more GB. Memory isn't that expensive so if you want more just buy 2 more matching sticks.

Nice one mate thanks again for the response, may aswell fire it along with the 2X500GB HDD's I have spare on eBay and put the money towards a secordary SSD.
Asus Rog G750JW

Liger wrote:
Nice one mate thanks again for the response, may aswell fire it along with the 2X500GB HDD's I have spare on eBay and put the money towards a secordary SSD.

That's probably the right direction to go. The older RAM would slow everything down.

Yes, there are 8 GB models of the ASUS gaming machines around, @xeromist. It's often the cheaper ones that you can buy in the brick-and-mortar retailers, as opposed to online.

As @xero said, unless you are running VM's on a regular basis (like me), more than 8 GB of RAM is probably unnecessary.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23