cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHvF MAX HMz Ram this Board can Handle

CodeMe
Level 7
Hi Guys
OK So As Some of you know I've done some Upgrades & Now it's time to Start Upgrading My RAM
At the Moment I've got 16GB 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz Ram Installed.

However I was reading the Crosshair_V_Formula_DRAM_QVL PDf from our Asus support Website for this Board As Below
You see it's only ticked at 2-DIMMS & the MAX speed is 2133MHz & Gskill..

So I can only afford to buy at 8GB a time if they cost around £70/80 Quid.

My Questin is This the MAX SPEED my Board can take & is this the only Brand Or can I buy anything higher speed & any Brand. as it says here only 2dimms are supported at this speed & type.

I was Hoping to get these http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/dominator/dominator-gt-1-5v-8gb-ddr3-memory-kit-w... Maybe at a Higher Speed, But if this Speed 2133MHz is the highest this Board would take then will it be able to take 8GB 4x4GB Modules.

I'd have to buy them in 2 sets at a time, 8Gb then another 8GB the month after. I'm after these for this also I don't care really which RAM I have as long as I can fit this Baby. lol

Thanks Guys
CPU:- AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz
MOBO:- Crosshair v formula
BIOS:- Crosshair v bios 1703
COOLING:- Antec Kuhler H20 920
RAM:- Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz
GRAPHICS:- MSI Geforce GTX 670 OC Twin Frozr Power Edition 2048MB GDDR5
MAIN DRIVES:- 2x Kingston 120GB SSDnow V300
STORAGE:- 2x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache
CASE:- Antec Dark Fleet Series DF35 Gaming
PSU:- OCZ Stealth X Stream-2 700W
KEYBOARD:- TT eSports Challenger Pro Gaming Keyboard

6 REPLIES 6

CodeMe
Level 7
EDIT
Sorry TYPO
This is what I was ment to Say Concerning the Amount of RAm Id Need 16GB
I was wanting to say " I was Hoping to get these http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-...m2b2133c9.html Maybe at a Higher Speed, But if this Speed 2133MHz is the highest this Board can take.. Then would it take 16GB 4x4GB Modules." I'd have to buy them in 2x8GB Sets.

Chino
Level 15
Mixing two kits is a bad idea even if they are identical. There isn't a 100% guarantee that they will work together. So we don't recommend you doing so because you might run into problems in the future. Some users get away with it, some don't.

Officially, the maximum speed supported by the Crosshair V Formula is 2133MHz. But, yes, I have seen users running RAM above this speed. But is it really worth it? No. The difference in performance is so little that you won't notice it outside benchmarks. I consider 2133MHz to be the sweet spot if you use your system for work.

Chino wrote:
Mixing two kits is a bad idea even if they are identical. There isn't a 100% guarantee that they will work together. So we don't recommend you doing so because you might run into problems in the future. Some users get away with it, some don't.

Officially, the maximum speed supported by the Crosshair V Formula is 2133MHz. But, yes, I have seen users running RAM above this speed. But is it really worth it? No. The difference in performance is so little that you won't notice it outside benchmarks. I consider 2133MHz to be the sweet spot if you use your system for work.

Yes I was aware of the fact that buying them in two kits might be a bad idea. But what is one supposed to do when they can't afford a 4 Stick Kit all in one go.

From when i first made this post Up Until Just prior to me replying I Did make up my Mind to cap it at 2133MHz as you say I'd not notice much outside of benching anyway. So Thanks for confirming my decision.

Still do you think 4 Dimms will be OK Because it only shows a DOT in the 2 Dimms section in the photo above ?? And Buy other brands should be ok also right, as I mention this data is very old over a year where it says Gskill only brand

Also this is over a year old info also made with a old BIOS & Not with the 1703.

Still not sure what to do about buying the KITS even if i was to call the memory company I don't think they would split a 4 Pack So I can buy the other 2 a week later hahah Now that would be cool right . lol

Thanks again for your Help mate

Roadking
Level 7
I got this board right after it bcame available and I've had 4 sticks of 4GB ram running at 2133 for over a year with no problems at all.
AMD FX-8350 4.615 GHZ @ 1.43v ( Stable ) * ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX
4Gx4 GSKILL F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR 16GB @ 2133 @ 1.63v
XSPC Raystorm RX240 Extreme Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit w/ 2 RX240 Radiator
2 Sapphire HD 7950 3GB OC Edition 1100/1500 @ 1.258v Crossfire
3 Crucial 128 GB in RAID 0 * 2 WD 1002FAEX 1TB SATA3 RAID 0 Data drive
Cooler Master Cosmos II * Enermax Revolution 85+ 1020W * Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The fact the CHVF-Z can handle memory speeds up to 2133MHz really means diddly squat, the 8350 is only rated to 1866MHz. Plenty of owners have been lucky to hit 2133 and above, but that's exactly like I said...luck. Your IMC(Internal Memory Controller) is what decides whether you can run 2133MHz or not, you might have a CPU that can handle 2400 for all we know, many can not...it's called the "Silicon Lottery" for a reason 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
The motherboard is not the determining factor for memory frequency. The CPU is.

The motherboard has a default BIOS settings that run at the default processor memory speeds if the memory is not OC'd

It is WAY better to have one set of ram in your system. Regardless if you buy the same model you will not be guaranteed the same chips used. The vendors may even use the same brand and model of chips but due to the nature of the manufacture process they will change and each batch will be different. In much the same way batches of CPUs can and often are different.

So my advice is buy 16GB of memory in a two stick kit now.

Big reason why - cost. The memory factory burnt down a few weeks ago. Prices of memory are going to skyrocket. If you can do so get them now. One 2 x 8GB kit of ram.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.