cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VGA or CCC drivers?

619Gamer
Level 7
I just got my MATRIX-HD7970-P-3GD5 - I have GPUTweak 2.2.8 ready to install, but I'm not sure which driver to use:

I had a 5770 and only used CCC previously.

If I check AMD (7xxx series) for the latest driver for my card, it takes me to 13.4_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe. If I check ASUS (Model specific), it takes me to AMD_VGADriver_Win7Visata32_64_VER9_02 which appears to contain Catalyst 8.0.891.0.

The CD that came with it has GPUTweak 2.2.8 and Catalyst 8.0.881.0.

I'm guessing I should use the latest (CCC 13.4), but would like some input from those that have been here and done this. This is my first factory OC'd card and I'd like to do it right the first time.
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
With AMD you install CCC with the driver in any case so not to worry just install the latest AMD drivers for your GPU and select full install.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

619Gamer
Level 7
THX for the fast response HiVizMan!

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL we do try to help folks out ASAP. Not always easy but we have some great folks here. Arne, Zka, kkn and Chino just to mention a few.

Take care and enjoy your system.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

619Gamer
Level 7
On my old card I manually set fan speed to 80% in CCC; I assume I should now use GPUTweak instead. Do you recommend auto or manual (if so, what %)?

Chino
Level 15
The 7970 Matrix cards come with two profiles: 2D and 3D. The 2D profile activates itself when you're idling and it will downclock your GPU to save energy and minimize the heat. The 3D profile is the opposite of the previous profile mentioned and will activate itself when you put a load on the GPU. So unless you're suspecting that your GPU is overheating or you're looking to max overclocks, you don't really need to modify those predetermined profiles.

619Gamer
Level 7
Well, wishing I would not have played around now. I made a few minor tweak playing with the fans, then it asked me to burn, which I did (bad move). Now after logging into Windows, I see my desktop for a few seconds and then is goes to vertical bar white screen as I hear the fan speeds increase slightly. I pressed the "Safe Mode" button on the GPU and rebooted, no change. I booted in safe mode, but am unable to uninstall GPUTweak. Any ideas for this Nooob?

Figured out recovery mode and am back in business. Thank God they gave me an idiot button!!

619Gamer
Level 7
Re-installed old card and everything came up fine; un-installed GPUTweak and re-installed 7970, still goes white after logging in.

ChiefZeke
Level 10
The latest AMD drivers are 13.10 beta - been working just fine here; if you're interested.
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD