cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth X79 wont update the BIOS with Flashback

Trev92
Level 7
Hey guys, I just received my motherboard last night for my new computer build. I am trying to update the BIOS to be compatible with the new Ivy Bridge-E processors. So my problem is when i try to use the USB flashback to update the LED light flashes once then stays lit. I have tried 5 different USB drives. All of different sizes. Nothing works. Has anyone had this issue and resolved it?

My CPU isn't compatible with the BIOS so updating any other way is not an option. I really don't want to have to blow another 500 on a processor just to enter the BIOS. That would be a pretty expensive decoration.
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Trev92.

1. Download the 4302 BIOS from Asus website.
2. Format a USB pendrive to FAT32.
3. Extract the BIOS file and rename the file to SABERX79.CAP.
4. Put the BIOS file on your USB pendrive.
5. Connect the USB pendrive to the white USB Port.
6. Press the ROG Connect button for three seconds until the LED begins to blink, then release.
7. Wait until the LED stops blinking.
8. Power on your system.

Thanks for the reply!

I have done all of the above. Made sure everything was named correctly. Freshly formatted all the drives. I'm Not sure what BIOS version i was shipped so i tried the ROM to CAP converter to see if that needed to be run. Same issue. The LED light flashes once. then stays lit.

Chino
Level 15
I see. It's easy to find your shipping BIOS. Look for a long, thin sticker with a barcode and a bunch of numbers. The last 4 digits is the BIOS that comes with the motherboard. What are the last 4 digits that you see on that sticker, mate?

HiVizMan
Level 40
In my sig is the link to the guide. I have included both versions of the guide. That confused sentence will make sense once you visit.

Quick question are your USB sticks FAT formatted.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Trev92
Level 7
The sticker says 4005

and yes HiVizMan they are all FAT32 formatted.

Chino
Level 15
The BIOS file should be the only file on the USB pendrive. Also make sure you're renaming it correctly to "SABERX79". The cap at the end is just to denote the file type and normally it's hidden and you won't have to change it. There have been users in the past who made the mistake of renaming the file to "SABERX79.CAP". And unknowinly the file became SABERX79.CAP.CAP so the motherboard wasn't picking it up.

Trev92
Level 7
It worked! Windows 8 must have been hiding the file extension. So i was putting .CAP twice. Thanks guys! Saved me a lot of money.

Thank you thank you thank you to all who posted, especially Chino for getting the file name right! I had the same issue with a computer I unplugged and moved to a different room. I tried everything: reseating all the components, running the MemOK test, clearing the CMOS, swapping out components--you name it. Everything suggested something was off with the motherboard, and yet the motherboard seemed to be doing everything correctly but beeping and booting.

I didn't even know about the "BIOS Flashback" feature on the board, but I'm damned glad to have it. The first few times I tried it failed, but once I read Chino's post with the correct file name to use, the feature worked. And the next time I hit the power button, the computer beeped and booted as normal.

I've seen this kind of thing happen in the past, and I've always been very frustrated that I basically have to shell out the cash for a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, etc. This feature was a real life saver, and you can bet I'll be shopping for ASUS boards that have it going forward. Thanks again all!