cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M6F Cannot Increase Mutiplier / Turbo Boost

KenV99
Level 7
Hello all,

I received my M6F board yesterday and after a full install, I am having trouble getting the multiplier to change and/or cause the processor to go into boost mode by running Prime95. It just stays at 35 in CPUID -CPUz and in AISuite III. Similarly, while encoding video from Adobe PP CC, the cores are pinned at 100%, but the multiplier is still at 35.

My setup:
M6F, Intel 4770K, Noctua NH-U14S, 8x2 Corsair 1866 DDR3, EVGA NVIDIA GTX 760 2G DDR5, 128GB SSD, 850W Power Supply, Win 7 x64 Ultimate. I have both the 8pin and 4pin connectors powered. The bottom molex is not being fed.

Steps tried:
Clr CMOS, Reflash 0804 Bios. Uninstall AISuite III, retry stress test without, reinstall AISuite III, try again. Checked Windows Power Settings, set to high performance. W7 does not have settings that directly reduce power to the CPU. I also tried downgrading to the 0714 Bios and clr CMOS with no better results.

I’m not sure what else to try at this point. Can the Intel Chipset software cause this? Below are relevant screen shots. Any and all help would be appreciated!
18 REPLIES 18

Atlantis852
Level 7
I ran into what sounds like the same issue on my Maximus VI Extreme during initial build out. If your motherboard is similar to mine, there may be a "slow" switch. You'll need to ensure it is in the off position. In my setup I had two. One on the motherboard and one in the OC panel. The motherboard one was off but the OC panel was on. It was a real stumper until I found out about the switch inside of the OC panel.
Asus M6E | i7 4770K | 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM | 512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD | GTX 780

KenV99
Level 7
Thanks Atlantis852. Unfortunately, the formula boards do not have a slow switch or LN2 switch... At least none that is documented.

Chino
Level 15
Please do the following in this order:
1. Uninstall AI Suite III.
2. Boot into Safe Mode and run the AI Suite III cleaner.
3. Upon reboot, enter the BIOS and load the optimized defaults.
4. Shutdown your system.
5. Clear your CMOS using the button at the back.
6. Power on and go into BIOS to load the optimized defaults once again.
7. Save and exit BIOS.
8. Run your CPU stressing programs.

Any progress? And why are you asking about the Chipset drivers? You did install them, didn't you? lol

Hi, thanks gain for the suggestions!

Uninstalled Ai Suite III.
Booted into Safe Mode and ran cleaner. Only issue I ran across was I got a message "Can't Open AsIO.sys !! (2)"
Rebooted and loaded optimized defaults.
Shutdown and cleared CMOS by holding down button on back.
Powered up and reloaded optimized defaults.
Saved, restarted and ran Prime95 with same results 😞

Well that was mildly painful because removing the battery requires removing the 'armor'. Unfortunately with the intel heatsink and the above procedure I am still showing the same thing. No change in the multiplier with a Prime95 stress and still reads only two cores?!?!

I'm starting to feel like I need to RMA the CPU. Ugh.

KenV99
Level 7
I did install them, but I was just wondering if there could be a problem there. I am starting to wonder if its the processor. I just noticed that it is only reporting 2 cores instead of 4! I will do the above and report back. Thanks for your help.

Chino
Level 15

KenV99
Level 7
I am going to do a bent pin search next just in case...

Chino
Level 15
Ok. While you're doing that, switch off your PSU and disconnect the power cable. Remove the CMOS battery and push the Start button to discharge any remaining power. When you're finished inspecting the CPU socket, install the CMOS battery back into place. And continue with your CPU installation. For now, use the stock heatsink.