Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chrisnyc75's Avatar

Just a note to let you know that my build is complete (except for a few ongoing aesthetic adjustments & minor tweaks, of course). I finished building the loop yesterday, filled it, bled it, leak tested it, and finally powered on the system (the moment of truth!) and everything worked beautifully (and she's a real looker! hehe). Pictures and details forthcoming in my build log thread very soon....

Can't wait to get her overclocked and see what she can do with proper cooling.
    Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
    EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
    XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
    Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

I've never used a fan hub before, using the Swiftech PWM hub with 6 Corsair SP120's & Phanteks fan hub with 6 Noiseblockers now. However, both are returning unexpected speeds, and I'm not sure why? With all speed control disabled (i.e. all fans set to max speed), the Corsairs are returning ~2000 rpm, and the Noiseblockers are returning ~2100 rpm. That's ~400 rpm less than either set should be returning at max speed. I know that max rpm is always an estimation and falls within a ~10% variance, but 400 rpm seems like a pretty big variance from the advertised speed, and I know both are extremely reputable models that should perform as advertised.

Why? Is this common with fan hubs, or is something in my bios/software messing with fan control/power?

edit: fyi, this variance exists using fan control in bios OR disabling bios fan control and using FanXpert or Speedfan, so it strikes me as a hardware/power issue rather than a software/driver one.
    Last edited by chrisnyc75; 12-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

i have the same on mine, it varies a good deal depending on the load on each fan header.
    the fan header just takes the estimate rpm it can get.
    i have 2 fans on 1 header and 3 on another one ( on my fan controller ) and 4 on my pump.
    all giving various rpm outputs.
    i just set my fans on a min voltage as low temp and on abow a ?? temp they speed up.

Quote Originally Posted by kkn View Post
    i have the same on mine, it varies a good deal depending on the load on each fan header.
    the fan header just takes the estimate rpm it can get.
    i have 2 fans on 1 header and 3 on another one ( on my fan controller ) and 4 on my pump.
    all giving various rpm outputs.
    i just set my fans on a min voltage as low temp and on abow a ?? temp they speed up.
    Cool, thanks kkn. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have something connected wrong or a bum fan hub. It makes sense that with so many fans pulling from a single mobo header the power variance might be more than it would with just 1, just needed experienced confirmation.

On the bright side, I can't imagine what my system would sound like if they all ran at their actual advertised max speed anyway. With 16 fans at ~2000 rpm it already sounds like a jet engine. lol
    Last edited by chrisnyc75; 12-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8