Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array chrisnyc75's Avatar

Another question: would spray-painting the blades of a fan diminish its cfm or static pressure? I would rather like to get 6 matching fans for the bottom rad, but I'd like the 3 on top to be a little "blingy" since you'll see them clearly through the window. If I could get some Corsairs or Scythes and just paint the blades red that would be optimal.
    Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
    EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
    Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
    XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
    Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

Painting the blades won't do anything to the airflow (well nothing out of microscopic changes) but be careful you get a very even coat or you will throw the balance of the fan off with unequal weight on the blades...but you'd have to do a pretty messy job for this to matter enough for vibration etc.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Profeus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fbm211 View Post
    Cooler master is coming out with a really cool new case.....modular. with stackable Rad boxes. Very cool.
    Like fbm211 said earlier and if you are not 100% set on the case, these might be worth looking at and are set to release within the next 1-2 months... HAF Stacker Series Cases Link

Here is what it looks like built with custom water loop...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cooler Master HAF Stacker With Watercooling.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	26279
    Photo taken at PAX Prime 2013

Pretty amazing looking if you ask me and allows for heaps of expansion in future...!
    Last edited by Profeus; 09-16-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    Chassis Corsair 900D|MB Rampage IV Formula|CPU i7 3930K @ 4.8GHz
    RAM Corsair DominatorGT 16GB 2133MHz C9|GPU 2x ROG Matrix 7970-P in X-Fire @ 1180MHz
    PSU Corsair AX1200i|SSD 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|HDD 2x 4TB WD Caviar BLACK
    Monitoring Corsair Link|Cooling Custom Loop EKWB/AlphaCool/XSPC/Bitspower
    Monitors 3x ASUS 24" VE248H (6036x1080)

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnyc75 View Post
    [...]

[LIST][*]Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Primo --> http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Primo.html

[...]
    For the top radiator, I went with the XSPC low profile 36mm radiator because I have exactly 70mm clearance between the top of the case and the top of the mobo. To compensate for the slim form factor, I decided to go with the (3x)140mm model. This will allow me to have the top radiator in push-pull config while not conflicting with the NB heatsink or ram. I could, of course, have gone with a thicker radiator (up to 70mm) and just one set of fans, but I think it’s more effective to go with the thinner radiator w/ push-pull since the top will also serve as the main air exhaust – I want to make sure I don’t get warm air building up inside the case faster than it can be exhausted out the top.
    [...]
    Just wanted to point out, that yes, while the Phanteks Enthoo Primo has 70mm of vertical clearance from the top of the mobo to the top of the case, the 120mm radiator (240, 260, 480) mounts are also offset horizontally by ~54mm from the mobo so installing a 45mm or 60mm 120 series radiator in push pull would not be an issue as long as you do not have anything taller than 53mm on the motherboard (including ram).

SOURCE: Pg 8 FAQs on the "Phanteks Enthoo Primo Full Tower Review" at 'TheModZoo', and the Phanteks 'Watercooling Possibilities' video.

You might even can get away with putting an 80mmm thick monsta 120mm series rad up there in push pull as long as you don't have anything taller than 53mm on the top ~60mm of your board, and as long as you don't mind hiding that much of the top of your board behind the rad & fans.

However, if you are dead-set on putting a 140mm series rad up top, you would have 10mm less offset from the mobo (the 140 mounts are 10mm wider on each side of the 120 mounts). which still might be feasible except with tall memory or some boards with really tall heatsinks.

In any case, I only mentioned it because if you really are concerned about fan noise you will want to stay away from thin rads like that 36mm which don't perform well until higher fan RPMs.

- - - -
    I've pre-ordered my Phanteks Enthoo Primo (sux they just announced a delay on initial shipping until Oct 18), and plan on putting a 60mm thick 480mm rad up top and an 80mm thick monsta 360mm rad on the bottom, both in a push pull. I'll be waiting until I get my case before I order my rads, just so I can see for certain they will fit, but everything I've read so far says that combo will fit easy without needing any mods & I'll be able to keep both HDD cages.

I'm probably going to be going with the Rampage IV Black edition board when it arrives, but am still waiting to find out what the height of the I/O bracket is on that board. It looks to be pretty tall from the images released so far. If it's 50mm or more tall I probably won't have room for a 60mm thick rad up top in push pull, in which case I'll be opting for a different mobo afterall.
    Last edited by Bill W; 09-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks Bill, I did know about the radiator mount offset, but since I'm using Corsair Dominator GT memory, the ram-sinks would conflict with any xtreme radiator + push fans. I did not, however, know about the clearance difference with 140mm rads vs 120mm, so thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure to be careful before I pull the trigger on a top radiator. Either way, I'm going to order the case FIRST and won't order anything else until I get in there and take my own measurements. If it turns out I can mount my Black Ice GTX Xtreme in the top without running into my ram heatsinks, I'll probably do that and get a Monsta for the bottom.

Thanks for the tips!
    2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

A couple more questions:

1 - Should I get a PWM/variable pump? What's the difference? Does a non-PWM/variable pump just run at full speed all the time? Is this bad for the pump, does it wear out faster?

2 - How do you guys feel about chipset/full-coverage waterblocks for the RIVE? Mostly, I've read that the chipset/nb/sb don't really generate enough heat to need watercooling and that the blocks just constrict flow in the system unnecessarily, but I'm curious if you guys agree with that?

ROG 師傅 Array Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Arne Saknussemm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Laptop?...No way! (Model?...Jun Amaki...yes way!)
    MotherboardROG ZENITH EXTREME
    ProcessorTHREADRIPPER 1920X
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14Q-32GVK
    Graphics Card #1GTX Titan X
    Graphics Card #2SLI is dead to me
    Graphics Card #3Tri SLI is even dead to Nvidia
    Graphics Card #4Quad SLI is dead to everybody especially my credit card
    Sound CardXonar Essence STX
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG279Q
    Storage #1Samsung 950 PRO
    Storage #22x OCZ VERTEX 3/2x WD Caviar Black 500GB / 2x WD RED 2TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Loop: Dual D5s, Dual Alphacool Monsta 480s, XSPC Raystorm Neo TR4, EK TitanX WaterBlock
    CaseNope!...Phobya Bench...let it all hang out man!
    Power SupplySeasonic SS-1200XP3
    Keyboard Logitech G810 or Fender Rhodes Electric Piano (MKI 73)
    Mouse G502 or Speedy Gonzalez...not Mickey...don't do Disney!
    Headset ...firmly on neck
    Mouse Pad Mouse don't got his own pad man...lives with me
    Headset/Speakers Edifier Spinnaker...or you mean the speakers in my head...man too many voices to name them all
    OS Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Spyware Edition
    Network Router56k modem
    Accessory #1 Umm...nice tie?
    Accessory #2 Err...belt?
    Accessory #3 3 accessories?! I'm not a girl!!

EK do a nice kit ... block for the VRM and a passive heat sink for PCH. Cooling the VRM I think is a good thing though you can do this with fans alright....I wouldn't bother cooling the PCH with a block no performance advantage...in fact a performance hit..restriction...but might look nice

If the pump is variable has manual RPM settings over a range...doesn't have to run at full whack...you set it and it will run at constant RPM PWM I guess you can set up to react to temps...prefer constant flow rate myself....

Just thought of something I've never seen addressed before: if you need to reset your bios (ram oc failure or whatever), how do you do so without having to drain the whole cooling system to get to the battery, which Asus so ingeniously positioned right behind where the 2nd graphics card goes? (in other words, the battery can't be removed without removing the graphics card, which I assume can't safely be removed without removing the wc aparatus)

I know this may seem like an "out of left field" question, but trust me it would be JUST LIKE my life to get a full custom watercooling build finished only to have my oc fail and require a hard reset that required breaking down the entire cooling system. lol

I/O shield, CMOS button there.

Quote Originally Posted by kkn View Post
    I/O shield, CMOS button there.
    Ahh, yes. I knew it had to be something really obvious that I was forgetting. lol Just trying to rule out every possible problem before I actually commit. Thanks kkn

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast