cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Extreme Build -Going All Out-First time Bulder (Need Feedback)

aldz24
Level 7
Hi RoG Peeps! I'm a Newbie here and soon to be owner of an asus based rig and etc 😄
So lemme get to the point: I need feedback on the build i'm going for..i'm a first time builder..i had never built a rig before but did help my uncle a long time ago in setting up our old pc with amd parts and etc.
After watching and reading so many guides on how to build,how to manage cables,connect sockets and connectors ,setup windows and update drivers i'm probably ready to build my own rig myself

Here is the Setup I'm going for:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:NZXT Kraken X60 98.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard:Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory:Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory
Storage:Samsung EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX Titan Superclocked Signature 6GB Video Card
Sound Card:Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Case:NZXT Phantom 820 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan(7)
Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan(1)
Power Supply:Corsair Professional Gold 1200W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive:Asus BW-14D1XT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) (Please no Hate 😞 )
Monitor:Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor

1.The budget is none of my concern and i'm willing to go overboard since my plan is to go full futureproof gaming and other stuff...I know..this is a bit of an overkill for a first time builder, but i think it's for the best IMO since i'll probably do a 2way-3way in the future if future pc game titles gets a bit more performance hungry.
2.I'm Mostly gonna use it for Gaming 90% and maybe other stuff like streaming,and etc in the future
3.Yes i'll buy a secondary monitor along the line so the Titan purchased would not be a waste on just a single monitor
4.Yes I'll Overclock it and since i know how 4way optimazation works now...(thanks Asus) i'm all good

Personal Questions I wanted to ask:

1. As you can see, I plan to buy 7 140 pwm noctua fans and a 120 pwm noctua fan to replace the stock fans of the kraken and the stock ones on the case so my question is...Can i add 2 fans on both sides of the kraken for a total of 4 fans on the kraken? two facing the mobo and two on the top (screwed on top of the case on the kraken ,since it allows 2 140's on top)
2.HDMI or DVI?
15 REPLIES 15

Profeus
Level 9
All I can say is wow... that system is going to be insane!!!

Only query for you is why only Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB? I would personally use much larger capacity drives between 2-4 TB...

Since you are going all out, you might as well give yourself enough space for everything your going to want to use on this system!

Also maybe look at a higher rated kit? I would start at 2400MHz myself but again that's up to you.

Cant wait to see pics of this system in progress and the finished product! 😄
Chassis Corsair 900D|MB Rampage IV Formula|CPU i7 3930K @ 4.8GHz
RAM Corsair DominatorGT 16GB 2133MHz C9|GPU 2x ROG Matrix 7970-P in X-Fire @ 1180MHz
PSU Corsair AX1200i|SSD 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB|HDD 2x 4TB WD Caviar BLACK
Monitoring Corsair Link|Cooling Custom Loop EKWB/AlphaCool/XSPC/Bitspower
Monitors 3x ASUS 24" VE248H (6036x1080)

ahaha ...yeah i'm pretty excited too...and it's gonna be so worth it after i built it...i'll stick with 1tb though(since i'll only probably use it on just document files,pdf files and business stuff. 😄 i'll add more ssd in the future..gonna have to focus on the important parts first and build it first 😄

aldz24 wrote:
ahaha ...yeah i'm pretty excited too...and it's gonna be so worth it after i built it...i'll stick with 1tb though(since i'll only probably use it on just document files,pdf files and business stuff. 😄 i'll add more ssd in the future..gonna have to focus on the important parts first and build it first 😄

That's a pretty serious document editing monster... lol 🙂
RAM Corsair DominatorGT 16GB 2133MHz C9|GPU 2x ROG Matrix 7970-P in X-Fire @ 1180MHz

lol...ahaha ...well..hey..i just converted to pc gaming 😛 ...been a long time console gamer and i did play a lot of pc games before like RA2,counter strike,and etc. So if i'm gonna build a rig..why not go all out ? but a quesiton though..thoughts on the ivy bridge cpu's? was browsing stuff before i was planning to build my rig and i saw 1k cpu's that need lga2011 mobos 😮 ....are they worth it?

aldz24 wrote:
lol...ahaha ...well..hey..i just converted to pc gaming 😛 ...been a long time console gamer and i did play a lot of pc games before like RA2,counter strike,and etc. So if i'm gonna build a rig..why not go all out ? but a quesiton though..thoughts on the ivy bridge cpu's? was browsing stuff before i was planning to build my rig and i saw 1k cpu's that need lga2011 mobos 😮 ....are they worth it?

I use a Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 motherboard with a 3930K CPU and I love it... Nice stable overclocks however fairly high temps... I think that the 4770K is quite a good chip and when overclocking the system is certainly a good choice for a hardcore system however I have not had any personal experience with this particular chip yet, only what I have read on other forums. 🙂

That being said, it is only a quad core processor so if you wanted to spend the little extra cash, you could look at the i7 4930K with the Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 motherboard instead as it is a 6 core processor... (roughly $250 more out of your wallet though)

hmmm i don't know....bit of a gamble though...i'll probably just wait for asus to make their Rampge Version V's with integrated 4wayoptimization and supreme fx 😄

aldz24 wrote:
but a quesiton though..thoughts on the ivy bridge cpu's? was browsing stuff before i was planning to build my rig and i saw 1k cpu's that need lga2011 mobos 😮 ....are they worth it?

The verdict is still out on that. A lot of us (re: all of us) are asking that exact question at the moment. The new "Ivy Bridge-e" cpu's were just released last week, the early reviews and benchmarks are just now rolling in. So far, consensus seems to be that they're fast and efficient, but fall behind Sandy Bridge-e at overclocking.

At any rate, for your purposes you're probably better off sticking with the 4770k. LGA2011 doesn't really have much/any advantage over 1150 when it comes to gaming.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

Krab19
Level 7
Oh wow!! That's going to be one hell of a setup! Make sure to put up some pictures while putting it together 😄

My only comment would be on the RAM, why not do a 2 X 8GB set instead? Leaving the two extra slots will give you the ability to expand in the future if you wanted to.
Lana:
Asus Maximus VI Formula | Intel Core i7 4770K | Corsair H100i
ASUS GTX 780 DCII | Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB 1866 Mhz | Corsair Air 540
Samsung 840 Pro | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair AX760

Krab19 wrote:
My only comment would be on the RAM, why not do a 2 X 8GB set instead? Leaving the two extra slots will give you the ability to expand in the future if you wanted to.
<- becouse you should not mix 2 kits realy, buy one kit and use that, not get one now and one later and end up whit problems.
Maximus VI Extreme <- why that motherboard?
personaly i would go for the formula or hero to be honest, the extreme is more for hardcore OC'er realy.
the formula and hero is more aimed for pc gamers.