cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking problem..

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
Hi all.

I have got myself a amd fx-8350 black edition cpu and I am using the Crosshair V Formula motherboard.

I got myself the corsair h80i cooler as well. I am having some serious issues trying to get this cpu to overclock, at all.

At its stock clock it will run prime95 happily all day no issues. As soon as I increase the multiplier, at all, the system will freeze solid and I have to pull the power cable out. I followed a guide on here, set the vcore to 1.5v turned LLC to 75% and put the cpu to 4800mhz the machine will boot to desktop but as soon as prime95 takes the cpu to 100% the pc will freeze solid.

I have tried it as low as 4300mhz with slightly reduced voltage and it will still boot up but freeze on prime95.

I have successfully overclocked my previous cpu 1090t to a lot higher than its stock clock and it worked great!

I have a decent branded 1200w PSU and all the extra power connectors on the motherboard are plugged in for maximum power.

Somebody please shed some light on my problem ... thanks 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Daniel...can you post up your exact system specs in detail....might help people. Exact RAM etc. And if you are running DOCP etc......:-)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi Daniel...can you post up your exact system specs in detail....might help people. Exact RAM etc. And if you are running DOCP etc......:-)

My full pc spec in detail;

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition
Corsair H80i liquid cooler
Asus Crosshair V Formula latest bios 1703
16gb 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Black 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.5v set in bios exactly
EVGA GTX 580 Black Ops edition. no oc
1200W Silverstone Stryder Modular PSU with all extra power connecters in motherboard

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
Okay will do as soon as I get back home later on, thanks 🙂

Chino
Level 15
Do not start with such a huge overclock. Start with something like 4.5GHz. Set the multiplier to 22.5 and an initial voltage like 1.3V. If unstable, work your way up with increments of 0.005V until you get there.

Ive tried smaller increases with no success, soon as prime95 is ran the system will freeze solid on pretty much anything apart from the stock cpu clock 😞

Daniel_Shaw
Level 10
Well ive managed to get 4500mhz now , turned off DOCP and set that to manual. Set multi to 22.5 and ram to 1600mhz, core 1.3v and LLC to 75% and its not hung on prime95 this time. I turned off the Turbo core technology this time, maybe that was the killer?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Cool I don't know much about AMD systems to tell the truth but I was going to suggest you set up the RAM manually...I would have been interested if you were running Blend or Small FFT in P95 maybe it was the RAM not coping on blend...did you get to see the BSOD codes?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Many ram kits are designed specifically for the Intel chipsets. Not AMD so the memory is best set up manually to get good results. Nice OC by the way.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.