4770k freeze problem

Hayate
Level 7
Hello guys! I receintly built my gaming rig which has the following:

Intel i7 4770k
EVGA Gtx 770 SC with ASX cooler
Samsung 840 Pro
Asus Maximus Vi Hero
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb , 1866 Mhz (2x8Gb)
Corsair Hx 750
Corsair H100 i

.For about 3 days now I get the same problem. At a random moment , my monitor screen will become black and both mouse and keyboard wont respond. That fact forces me to restart the pc via the restart button of my case. Some people say that the main reason is the frequency of my Ram. should I downgrade it to 1600 Mhz? And if its that the problem. Did I harmed the memory controller? I got this Ram frequency for about a week now.

Any help appriciated , thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hello hayate...

Can you tell us how you have set up the RAM?...is it in the recommended slots and have you set XMP to run it? when you say 1866 is it a 1866 kit right?

Are you OCing CPU at all? or GPU?

Hayate
Level 7
Hi thanks for the reply! My ram is a 1866 Kit from Corsair. As i set it in XMP mode , it ran at 1866. Now that I lowered the frequency to 1600 my system has not froze again. So what is your opinion? I used to OC cpu at 4.2 but now its a stock settings/speed. Also my GPU has never been overclocked

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well frankly if you can't run the kit at XMP at rated frequency...with BIOS defaults for CPU and GPU then you should return the RAM. It should work as advertised. 😞

Just to rule out OS corruption or driver or other weirdness and pinpoint the problem to the RAM maybe run Memtest 86+

http://rog.asus.com/127362012/overclocking/memtest-user-guide-for-rog-motherboards/

Set BIOS defaults....set XMP save and exit and then run Memtest86+ and see if the memory holds up...

Hayate
Level 7
thanks for the tip! much appreciated! 😉

HiVizMan
Level 40
I would suggest that your system was not stable. Either the CPU oc or the memory oc.

Either way when you changed both back to stock the problem went away.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.