Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Asus g750JX vs retina Macbook pro

Hey guys,

Need an advice here, I have the option to get either g750jx or a macbook pro retina 15" base model (2.4gz, 8gm ram, 650M gpu, 256ssd) for college (software engineering if it matters). What are you pro/cons of the asus and which one would you chose is price wasn't an issue. Thanks.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Flea0's Avatar

I honestly couldn't think of two laptops that are further apart in terms of function. The macbook is an extremely expensive and portable multimedia machine with OSX, slightly obsolete components and pretty poor SSD storage that costs a hilarious amount of money to upgrade through Apple. It will be great for software engineering though, especially if you need to carry it around all the time.

The G750 is over twice as heavy but over twice as powerful from a graphics point of view, has dual hard drive bays, twice the ram, a numpad and windows 8. It is almost surely going to be a lot cheaper as well. Obviously the screen won't be nearly as good unless you go for the 120hz screen which is much better than the standard one. It's a desktop replacement and as such isn't intended to be carried through classes all the time.

The G750 is a gaming laptop, the macbook isn't. Do you care about playing at ultra settings or can you settle with medium?
    Last edited by Flea0; 09-16-2013 at 11:30 PM.
    ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

ROG Member Array

I just purchased the G750JX for AutoCAD and wished I had gone with the Retina MacBook Pro. After the $1500 for the laptop, another $500 for the SSD, and another $300 to max out the RAM I could've had the MacBook Pro I was looking at. With the problems of it running at .77Ghz while off the charger it is almost unusable. If the BIOS was fixed on the JX version my answer might be different, but right now without knowing when it will be fixed I wish I would have gone with the Mac.

Victor

G750JX-RB71
    Intel Core i7-4700HQ -- 24Gb Ram
    nVidia GeForce GTX 770M -- 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro -- 750Gb HD

ROG Guru: White Belt Array kingfish's Avatar

i wish i could run the machine using full power without plugging in the charger.
    G751JT | 24GB | 2 x 1TB HDD | Nvidia GTX 970M | Windows XP

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    i wish i could run the machine using full power without plugging in the charger.
    Far as I know you can change the power plan to run at full speed? But even if you can I guess batter would be just awful.

Which one would you guys go for and why (taking in mind that money is not an issue)?

ROG Enthusiast Array

even if you change the power plan you wont be able to get the max speed on the CPU until a bios fix comes, if I have understood it correctly.

As to gaming in college, I'd recommend you don't. Better to focus on classes than leader boards.

I would recommend the ASUS, the cooling is better, the performance is better, the OS is better (I hate OS X with a passion - it's totally non-intuitive). Also, if you are in software engineering, you'll end up doing a lot in LINUX, so having a Mac is just inconvenient.

Also, the other thing to consider is one of ASUS' other laptops. They have a nice 15" system with 1080p (which you absolutely have to have), 8 GB of RAM, and a quad-core processor for about $800. With the money you save over the Mac, you could build a really powerful desktop if you wanted something to game on. You can always get a cheaper 13" laptop for carrying around (ASUS has several) and use a desktop in your house/dorm.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Flea0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drask View Post
    Far as I know you can change the power plan to run at full speed? But even if you can I guess batter would be just awful.

Which one would you guys go for and why (taking in mind that money is not an issue)?
    Do you want your laptop to run next gen games? if yes, get the G750. if not, get the mac, while also keeping in mind that it is long in the tooth for an upgrade to haswell.
    ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

You mentioned you're taking software engineering courses. Why would you even consider using a Mac for that is entirely beyond me heh. Like Zygo said 80% of the things you'll be doing will be *nix based and the rest will be windows based. Why would you ever consider having to jump through hoops to engineer software in VMs on subpar performing hardware?

I'm far from an expert on ASUS laptops (I don't own one) but I can tell you from a software engineering perspective you want a PC. Period. An as fast one as you can get (you'll see what I'm talking about when you start compiling library dependencies...2 hours to compile boost for example is not funny at all). You can run Linux, BSD, Windows and yes even OSX (if you ever need to) on it natively or in VMs (with better performance than a Mac would ever achieve on virtualization). It's better performing, cheaper, cheaper to upgrade, has more upgrade options and is generally your only real option here. Just choose a powerful laptop.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array iweber95's Avatar

don't get a mac at all. They are so overpriced its just sickening. Instead look at some ASUS ultra-books you can get the same preformance you get from a mac for much cheaper.
    ASUS G750JX
    CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M @ 932Mhz
    RAM: 16GB
    Memory: 1TB + 256GB SSD

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast