cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g750JX vs retina Macbook pro

Drask
Level 7
Hey guys,

Need an advice here, I have the option to get either g750jx or a macbook pro retina 15" base model (2.4gz, 8gm ram, 650M gpu, 256ssd) for college (software engineering if it matters). What are you pro/cons of the asus and which one would you chose is price wasn't an issue. Thanks.
17 REPLIES 17

Flea0
Level 10
I honestly couldn't think of two laptops that are further apart in terms of function. The macbook is an extremely expensive and portable multimedia machine with OSX, slightly obsolete components and pretty poor SSD storage that costs a hilarious amount of money to upgrade through Apple. It will be great for software engineering though, especially if you need to carry it around all the time.

The G750 is over twice as heavy but over twice as powerful from a graphics point of view, has dual hard drive bays, twice the ram, a numpad and windows 8. It is almost surely going to be a lot cheaper as well. Obviously the screen won't be nearly as good unless you go for the 120hz screen which is much better than the standard one. It's a desktop replacement and as such isn't intended to be carried through classes all the time.

The G750 is a gaming laptop, the macbook isn't. Do you care about playing at ultra settings or can you settle with medium?
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

rex450se
Level 7
I just purchased the G750JX for AutoCAD and wished I had gone with the Retina MacBook Pro. After the $1500 for the laptop, another $500 for the SSD, and another $300 to max out the RAM I could've had the MacBook Pro I was looking at. With the problems of it running at .77Ghz while off the charger it is almost unusable. If the BIOS was fixed on the JX version my answer might be different, but right now without knowing when it will be fixed I wish I would have gone with the Mac.

Victor

[/HR]
G750JX-RB71
Intel Core i7-4700HQ -- 24Gb Ram
nVidia GeForce GTX 770M -- 512Gb Samsung 840 Pro -- 750Gb HD

kingfish
Level 7
i wish i could run the machine using full power without plugging in the charger. 😞
G751JT | 24GB | 2 x 1TB HDD | Nvidia GTX 970M | Windows XP

kingfish wrote:
i wish i could run the machine using full power without plugging in the charger. 😞

Far as I know you can change the power plan to run at full speed? But even if you can I guess batter would be just awful.

Which one would you guys go for and why (taking in mind that money is not an issue)?

Drask wrote:
Far as I know you can change the power plan to run at full speed? But even if you can I guess batter would be just awful.

Which one would you guys go for and why (taking in mind that money is not an issue)?

Do you want your laptop to run next gen games? if yes, get the G750. if not, get the mac, while also keeping in mind that it is long in the tooth for an upgrade to haswell.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

kingfish wrote:

well .. it is possible to run cpu at full speed :D. if you read carefully the 0.77ghz thread you will find a program called throttlestop 😄 . you open it and disable "BD PROCHOT".

yea, performance is a bit limited on battery, but only for gtx 770m - it has 75 W power consumption at full throttle so ... it's normal if you ask me. as an example playing dota 2 on battery at full resolution and details it's not completly smooth , but it's playable.

i have the jx version 😄 ... whish i had the option for 120Hz screen, otherwise HAPPY USER! :cool::cool::cool:

Problem solved ( i think it's not persisting at reboot, but wth it's working )

Mines runs fine on battery and its overclocked

Jeracan
Level 7
even if you change the power plan you wont be able to get the max speed on the CPU until a bios fix comes, if I have understood it correctly.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
As to gaming in college, I'd recommend you don't. Better to focus on classes than leader boards. 😄

I would recommend the ASUS, the cooling is better, the performance is better, the OS is better (I hate OS X with a passion - it's totally non-intuitive). Also, if you are in software engineering, you'll end up doing a lot in LINUX, so having a Mac is just inconvenient.

Also, the other thing to consider is one of ASUS' other laptops. They have a nice 15" system with 1080p (which you absolutely have to have), 8 GB of RAM, and a quad-core processor for about $800. With the money you save over the Mac, you could build a really powerful desktop if you wanted something to game on. You can always get a cheaper 13" laptop for carrying around (ASUS has several) and use a desktop in your house/dorm.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23