cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z New build issues..

TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Level 7
I've built computers before here and there but I have never had so many issues as I have had with this mother board.
I literally have no clue what is wrong and I really just want a desktop computer again.

The first motherboard and CPU Amazon sent me were both DOA. The CPU having missing pins, while the motherboard just wouldn't do much of anything. Having gotten the replacements today I am having the same issues, but now at least I can see Q-Codes. Problem being I can't tell if I've caught them all. Some of them go by pretty fast.
Ones I can catch though are FF, C5, 7. 10, 26 and 84.
The tower literally will light up, fans will come on, I'll see the Q codes and it'll go right back off within a few seconds.

I am having a terrible time looking things up right now. All I can say is that the DRAM led does stay on, I could not tell you one way or the other what the CPU one says as that led is actually missing. a little missing led is the least of my problems though.

I'd just like some help in knowing where to start. I've talked with another friend, and about the only thing I know for certain 100% is that the board is wired correctly and everything is where it should be.

Crosshair V Formula-Z
AMD FX 8350
OCZ Fatal1ty 1000w
Corsair Seidon 120XL water cooler
Asus Radeon HD 7870
Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3 1600
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM HDD - pulled from old computer
Asus dvd
Asus bluray - Pulled from old computer

Not sure if it's need to know but I have the Cooler Master Storm Trooper case.

As to the Q codes I have tried the Go button, and it stayed on a bit longer for me to read the codes, but went right back off. So literally this tower has never fully booted up.
26 REPLIES 26

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, TwiSteDCBloSsoM.

1. Put the motherboard on top of the box that it came in.
2. Remove every single component and disconnect all the cables.
3. Remove the CMOS battery for 10 minutes.
4. Press the Start button to discharge any remaining power.
5. Insert the CMOS battery back into place.
6. Install your CPU and the stock heatsink.
7. Insert one stick of RAM into the DIMM_A2 slot.
8. Install your GPU and connect PCIe cables.
9. Connect your monitor to your GPU.
10. Connect the 24 pin, 8 pin and 4 pin power cables.
11. Power up yor system using the Start button.

Any progress?

TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Level 7
Do I really need to unhook the water cooler and remove the CPU for all of this? I know for a fact that the water cooler is working from working on the last motherboard only to find out it was an issue with the board. The Seidon 120XL is a horrible cooler and I would rather avoid having to take it off again because to get it back on I require someone else around to help.

Just wondering if this is possible while leaving just the cpu and cooler on. I haven't gone through testing with this board as I have the other,(trying to work all of this in around work and all of my college homework I am drowning in) but I have done everything stated, aside from it being out of the tower, and removing of the cooler and cpu.

Chino
Level 15
One of the most common causes for your problem is the motherboard being shorted out by an external object. I understand your frustration with taking everything out and I wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, we can skip that fix for now. I'll leave you a little checklist meanwhile.

1. Verify that the power cables are connected properly especially the 8 pin.
2. Loosen the screws for your Seidon 120XL. Overtighening the screws during installation can cause motherboard warping.
3. Make sure that the RAM is installed correctly. Pushing it way down until you hear the pop sound.
4. Try removing your GPU and disconnecting all your hard drives.

wcamike
Level 7
I had a Crosshair V Formula arrive DOA with a situation that sounded very similar to yours.

My issue was my CPU and CPU_OPT headers were both toast. I was running a Kraken X60 which draws its fan power from a PSU connection so I couldn't tell my CPU fan wasn't being detected before the PC shut itself off after 4-5 seconds.

Try plugging a regular fan into your CPU fan header and see if the fan runs or not.

EDIT: Also plug your CPU Cooler into another fan header while testing, or even better toss on a regular/stock heatsink.

TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Level 7
Well I know none of that is the issue. I left it in the case unplugged all but the graphics CPU, water cooler, and the 1 RAM stick. Battery out, battery back in, and it at least GOT far enough to get to BIOS, which I then updated.

Now that I know it is alive, the question is where do I go from here? Do I continue to add in RAM 1 bit at a time and see if it stops on one?

wcamike: Everything fully set up before this, all fan run so I know it's nothing in the fans. Now I know it's not my CPU, not the cooler, and not the first stick of RAM.

I am more frustrated with work and school because I've literally only had 30 minutes to an hour a day to fiddle with things and try and get it worked out.

Chino
Level 15
Swap the stick in the DIMM_A2 slot for another one. If you fail to post with one of them, then that stick is defective.

TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Level 7
Ok, got around to doing that. The first stick that allowed me to post gave me a pop up the first time the computer actually got to post. It was along the lines of "Current bios settings do not support the current boot device"
Then tells you to go into set up, CSM parameters and adjust the settings to enable the boot device.
After that first post it never did it again for that stick. Swapping out the others however on 2 I would get the same message but it would never go away. The 4th stick however, I believe is defective as it'll come on but not go to post getting the QCode 50 on that one.

Am I able to keep the 3 sticks that passed in and just eventually replace the 4th or just go down to 2 and eventually get another set?
Hopefully that was the only issue. The only other new things that could not be working would be the new dvd drive, or the new memory card reader. Seeing as the bluray and hdd came out of the old tower and I know them to be working.

Chino
Level 15
Is it one 32GB kit? Or are you mixing two 16GB kit together? Because pairing up two identical kits isn't recommended since there isn't a 100% guarantee that they will play nice together.

Either way, you'd need to RMA the whole kit with Corsair.

TwiSteDCBloSsoM
Level 7
It's a whole 32GB kit. Right now, over RMAing it I'd rather at least get it running so I know nothing else is wrong with it before I RMA the whole package.
Hopefully that is the only thing wrong. Kind of irritating to have had a bad motherboard, DOA cpu, and at least one evil stick of RAM.
This is a lot more of a headache than the other tower I built. That one was literally, put together and go. No problems with anything.